- Some of the methods we have tried

Some of the methods we have tried

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Some of the methods we have tried

Postby sunlight » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:20 pm

What were some of the methods, plans or tricks you tried, to not drink, other than the ones listed in the book on pg. 31?

I've heard some doozies at meetings! My story is pretty boring ( I think if I hadn't died of alcoholism, I would have died of boredom! ) but here's a few I remember.

Cutting, restyling or coloring my hair, because I was going to be "a new me".

Putting my liquor in the trunk of my car or behind a bush in the backyard so I'd have to go out & get it. (walking out barefoot in a snowstorm? No problem!)

Joining a prayer group.

Putting pictures of my grandkids or myself in happier times, on my fridge or closet door, to remind me why I wanted to be sober

Taking night classes, because I mostly drank at night.

Giving my keys to my neighbor, so I couldn't drive. Never mind that there are 2 liquor stores a block from my house! :roll:

But I think the dumbest thing I did, repeatedly, was buy jewelry. The idea was that each time I wore this special ring or bracelet, it was going to have the power to keep me from that first drink! :? Insanity! Needless to say, I have lots of jewelry! :lol:

When I was about 30 days sober, my son & I were at an outdoor festival where there were booths with vendors selling crafts. I was looking at the jewelry & he noticed a ring that was fashioned into the numbers 2003. He said I should get it cuz it's the year I got sober. But I was leery! He said he'd buy it for me. I wear it today with a heart full of gratitude! :D

What did you try?
sunlight

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:46 am

I took pledges, swearing off alcohol ('I can quit drinking any time; I've done it a thousand times')

I tried drinking only on certain days, or only after a certain time of day, or not drinking during Lent, or only after I'd had food, or never after midnight, etc.

For awhile, I tried drinking only expensive wine or beer, which I though would limit my drinking as I sipped and savored.

I moved from California to Washington State, thinking this would solve my drinking problem.

I remained voluntarily unemployed, thinking that job stress caused my drinking.

I used the religious solution, thinking that if I did more religious activity, that would solve my drinking problem.

I almost joined a church in which members had to agree to abide by the denominational tenets, one of which was abstinence from alcohol.

I tried going to the library instead of the bar, hoping to switch from being an alcoholic to a biblioholic.

I tried to space my drinking out over the day so I wouldn't drink as much at one time.

I convinced my self that I couldn't be an alcoholic because I didn't smoke, and every heavy or alcoholic drinker I knew smoked.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:43 am

The book says we could add to the list ad infinitum!
I understand! :lol:

The only important info I can share on this one... is what finally worked!

I went to AA and got help! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober