- New news - help for me

New news - help for me

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

New news - help for me

Postby tim-one » Mon May 25, 2009 8:13 am

New news presented by my Relapse Prevention facilitator. I haven't veracified it yet, but it's good news to me.

It appears that medical researchers have agreed that the gene that causes the propensity for alcoholism has been identified.

Still no excuse. It has absolutely nothing to do with my responsibility for the damage I've done to myself and others or my part cleaning up my side of the street. I am still a self-seeking dufus. It's certainly no excuse for my behavior.

It has long been agreed, based on statistical data, that alcoholism has genetic probabilities so convincing that the AMA and even insurance companies had accepted it as a primary disease. But they lacked the imperical data to support it.

That information helps helps me with one of the most difficult and most important things I need to do to stay sober ... forgive myself.

If I can't forgive myself, I cannot believe that HP can forgive me and I can't accept that anyone else can even though they say so.

Now I can remember the past without regret. That's a biggy to me. I have to remember. But, if I live in regret, I can't move toward those wonderful promises. I can forgive myself and know that HP has forgiven me.

I still have to earn the trust of people around me knowing that I DID THAT CRAP. They don't need to know that I couldn't help it. That knowledge is for me. Thay don't need to know that "I'm supposed to appologize because a book says so". That stuff waters down my sincere remorse to them.

But that's just me.

I hope that helps someone else who struggles with faith and forgiveness.

Love,
Tim-one
Thank God I'm an alcoholic!
tim-one

Postby Jools » Mon May 25, 2009 8:24 am

Thanks for sharing, Tim-one.

For me, the steps have helped me to stop beating myself up for the things I've done in the past. I can't change um, right? But today I can live how I am supposed to live, sober, treating others proper and helping those I can.

Also today, I stop taking credit for how I am living today, after all, isn't this how I was supposed to live all along? That's very humbling for me.

Hugs to you,
Julie
Jools

Postby tim-one » Mon May 25, 2009 8:34 am

You betcha, Julie.

God bless them steps. Oh, yeah ... He does already!

It's all about changing my mind, heart, and spirit ... perspective. Just impossible for me to be sober. Makes me wonder if you can still sew with the needle when God's through with the camel. HHhmmmmm.

Love,
Tim-one
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi Tim. Thanks for sharing.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober