- Your opinion is requested

Your opinion is requested

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby garden variety » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi folks,

I like the idea of setting up a forum as Tim-one would like to do. If you go to page 29 of our "Basic Text", you'll find that what Tim-one is suggesting is perfectly lined up with the book.

"Each individual, in the personal stories, describes in his own language and from his own point of view the way he established his relationship with God."

This is exactly what I was taught about how to speak at a speakers meeting. My speaker lead is supposed to help a new man or woman to identify themselves as having our common problem, then I'm basically supposed to tell the group how I found God which is the "solution" to our common problem.

So if we stick up a new forum, why not set it up sort of like the "Recovery Poems" section where only the individual does only what is outlined from that simple sentence quoted above out of the book, and nobody else can comment or post. We can always throw in guidelines and give the user the context, like I did in the meditation forum, and no one can post comments to each individual's story and point of view.

Listen to me - lets gitter-done! :roll:

Sorry if I'm being overly enthusiastic, but I think Tim-one is needing something to keep him busy and get him out of his comfort zone - I think that's what he said. :twisted:

Anyhoot - I say go fot it! Just warn users they might trip and fall and break their neck, ankle, elbow, or what-not if they're not careful, and suggest that they should thoroughly read the instructions and guidelines.
garden variety

Postby tim-one » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:30 pm

:shock: (I said that, din I ... comfort zone)

Thanks for your response, GV.

I like the idea. Maybe not so much for Q&A (too much opportunity for "doubtful disputation"), but just sharing so peops can search for the one they can use. HHhhmmmmm ...

I bet HP reads this stuff. I'd let Him decide money-in-the-bank or broken ankle. We'll just say "God'll getcha for that, whatever you say!" :D

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm

GV wrote: if we stick up a new forum, why not set it up sort of like the "Recovery Poems" section where only the individual does only what is outlined from that simple sentence quoted above out of the book, and nobody else can comment or post.

Tim-One... that was the reason the Poems forum was originally set to "post and not comment" only. I forgot. Do I still need to change it so people can comment on the poems???

Tim-One...
Tim-One wrote:I kinda don't think many people right out of the shoot come here, do they?

Not too many. On an average day we only get about 4,000 to 5,000 or so visitors that cruise through this forum and the site (reading and downloading and copying stuff) everyday.

Maybe if we can get your idea and suggestion of ..."Each individual, in the personal stories, describes in his own language and from his own point of view the way he established his relationship with God" ... section of the forum up and running... some of those readers, visitors, members, and a few more will be interested in actually posting and participating in the forum... instead of just reading.

The things we'll need to set it up:

1. A title for the forum section. (something small).

2. An announcement as to what the forum is all about. Along with some sort of disclaimer that suggests that "these are simply each individuals experiences and opinions... and they do not and are not intended to represent any other individual member in AA, or otherwise... or AA as a whole."

3. Any special guidelines that we need to post about posting or replying in the forum. Also, a repeat of the disclaimer part.

4. Do we set it up to limit comments on a post? In other words... will it be okay for people to cross-talk and comment on what someone writes? (Other than a Moderator's comments). If someone has a different idea about God or their HP that's different than the person who writes the message... we wouldn't want someone to criticize them or try to convert them to their point of view... or make them feel uncomfortable and end up with arguments or hurt feelings... that can also make a bad impression for the site and for other AA-er's.

Of course... it might even be better to allow commenting. I don't know the best answer for this... I just have a preference for no-confrontations or arguments.

Perhaps you can team up with that enthusiastic big biker-lookin' Garden Variety and put your heads together on it and come up with something great!

Then... just let me know how you want to do it... and we'll get it done. With this kind of stuff... I like "following the directions and suggestions" of the forum members... rather than coming up with my own ideas about it. (Or else... I get labeled and perceived as "site owner" or something worse! Another lower-than lower-companion??? ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey... sometimes... "somebody's got to do it!" (You know... plug it in and turn it on and let it run and stuff)... Or, ideas only disolve into chemical reactions in the brain and vaporize as the flow out of the ears... rather than becoming the results of effort and intentional actions! And, it's always good to have at least one person to blame if life doesn't meet up to our expectations! :lol: :lol:

And... of course... ALL the other members here in the forum are encouraged to share their ideas, suggestions and helpful hints now... rather than wait and think "they should have did this a different way!!!" :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Dallas wrote: On an average day we only get about 4,000 to 5,000 or so visitors that cruise through this forum and the site (reading and downloading and copying stuff) everyday.

That's an incredible number of visitors! I had no idea that the forum has so many window shoppers, because the number of posts is relatively small. There are over 1300 registered with posting privileges.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Tim wrote:That's an incredible number of visitors! I had no idea that the forum has so many window shoppers, because the number of posts is relatively small. There are over 1300 registered with posting privileges.

The more I've thought about the concern with so many registered users of the forum, with posting prilileges that never post... I've begun to wonder if it might be a microscopic mirror of AA as a whole. With the count of AA's by GSO to be more than two million members in AA... I wonder what percentage of those are active and participating in AA and in AA service work? The last time I visited our local District Meeting and local Intergroup meeting the number in attendance could be counted on one hand.

Perhaps, the forum membership is similar to AA membership. Many show up that are interested in the moment, they make it to a few meetings -- and, then, their interest changes -- and it's a long time before we hear from them again.

Or, they are like many of us... that had the courage to show up... but we sat in the back of the rooms, not getting to know others and not allowing others to get to know us.

We would probably have more than 30,000 members (or more) who joined the forums here -- had steps not been taken to make it more difficult to register for the forum. (People would sign up to abuse the forum and to abuse and annoy the other members of the forum) And, I'm sure that many of those would have participated and shared their abuse... but, it would have had little to do with alcoholism, sobriety and AA recovery. Fortunately, with the great size of the Internet -- there are many other sites and forums for those people to share and to participate there.

That's a different topic -- so maybe I shouldn't have commented on it! :lol:

Now... on to this Topic!

Tim-One and GV:

Your sharing of your thoughts on this idea -- have had a chance to digest with my late night dinner! :lol:

The more I think about it -- in relationship to your comments -- the more excitement I'm having about it's possibilities to be helpful for ourselves and to possibly help others.

Over the years -- I've had a few forum member that have contacted me in regards to their desire to share their faith -- and questions about "what's a good way to go about this? and, a way to connect with others in recovery that believe like I do and that share my faith?" And, "why do people get so hostile when we talk about what we believe about God? When we mention our God's name? Or, our religion or religious activities?"

Perhaps, we haven't been able to do much in this area, because we haven't had "an appropriate forum" to discuss it. In meetings (and imo: appropriately so) -- we often bridle the expressions that we would like to make in regards to our spiritual or religious thought -- because of many reasons. Here... on the forum... we might be able to eliminate some of those difficulties... by the use of our disclaimers and the notification that "this is just us personally and individually -- and others may or may not believe as I do. So... if it offends you... please don't read this section of the forum! :lol: :lol: ".

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:55 am

Catching up to a few posts. Sorry, I ain't cool enough to use "quote". I'll figure that out one o'these days.

Dallas,

In my never humble opinion, yes, I think people should be able to respond to poems. No, the forum still doesn't permit it.

For me, I would like to know if my poyms are understood the way I intend them and if they spark any thoughts in others the way writing them does in me. I like to check my thinkin' these days.

The no-reply rule is clearly stated in the forum. I can't figure out why.

You might see how anyone else considers it.

Thanks for thinkin' about it.

RE: Site visitors:

When I first came here, I was responding to a lot of posts wanting to get involved. It took me a while to notice that most of them were posted up to a year ago. :roll:

Really, there are a very few regular posters here. If I can rec'onize all the names, it's very few. :) I notice that I am nearly always the only one logged in.

Does the vistor counter count registered users who visit without logging in as I sometimes do? Or do cookies tell the difference?

RE: HP talk forum

I really liked GV's suggestion. Glad I thought of it. 8)

This is one that would be best for no-reply. No persuasion. No debate. No arguing. No criticism. If one wants to do that, PM or IM privately.

Sharing only.

I'll post another submittal with my ideas for set-up and rules of engagement. Thanks, Dallas. I appreciate it.

Love y'all,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Jools » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 am

Tim.........

Copy and paste the bit you want to quote in your reply. Highlight it then click on the quote button above where you type...see it up there?

Now give it a whirl.................
Jools

Postby tim-one » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Kewel ... I'm awhirlin'.

Thanx, Thanx.
tim-one

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober