- How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol?

How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol?

Postby Alicia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:24 am

I think I have a problem with alcohol. How do I know if I have a problem? Most of the time I dont have a problem. Once in a while I get in trouble. Like last night and a coupla days ago. A friend said I have a problem. Can some one help me find out?
Alicia

Postby Dallas » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:10 am

Hello Alicia, and welcome to the site.

If you want, I believe I can help you discover whether or not you have a problem with alcohol. If you'd like to click the icon below and send me a Private Message, I'll be more than happy to help. (It's the little button below with the images that resemble two people on it).

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol?

Postby pollypickle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 am

Alicia wrote:How do I know if I have a problem?

the book Alcoholics Anonymous has 2 simple questions you can ask yourself. They're on page 44:

"In the preceding chapters you have learned something of alcoholism. We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the nonalcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."

The chapter More About Alcoholism may also shed some insight on your question. The book is online at the site I am sending you in a PM, or on this site here: http://www.step12.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20

Good luck!
pollypickle

Postby Alicia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:22 am

Polly thank you I got the message. I guess the test will tell me if I have a problem? I will go look for it now. Can I be too young to have a problem? I'm so confused. My friends said they think I have a problem. I don't see why it is a problem to like to drink. I don't have a problem drinking it because I like to drink. They said something is wrong with me. That hurt my feelings because they are my friends saying this about me. I'm not a bad person I don't think. I dont do bad stuff. But I did have a coupla problems that happened to happened after me when I left a club.

bye for now. Alicia.
Alicia

Postby pollypickle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:32 am

Alicia wrote:Can I be too young to have a problem?

I was 23 when I got sober. I knew I had a problem though, it was not my friends telling me so.

I don't see why it is a problem to like to drink. I don't have a problem drinking it because I like to drink.

If you don't see that it is a problem, it may not actually be a problem. Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic or potential alcoholic. I didn't necessarily have many problems when drinking, it was being sober that caused me problems!!

I'm not a bad person I don't think. I dont do bad stuff. But I did have a coupla problems that happened to happened after me when I left a club.

Alcoholism is not the result of being a bad person or doing bad things. It is an illness of the body and mind, not a moral deficiency. It's like any other illness, but the catch with alcoholism is it can't be cured, only put into remission a day at a time.

Ask yourself those 2 questions: If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. That's from page 44 in the book the fellowship of AA was named after. There's also the experiment at the bottom of page 31 to try. AA offers one solution to people who want it. If you don't want it or need it, more power to you!
pollypickle

Postby Susan68 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:30 pm

I wish I had gotten into AA when I was younger. While it would have been harder to accept the prospect of living life without alcholol, it would have been so much easier on so many other levels. I see so many young people being taken by the scruff of the neck by older adults; I would have had a much easier time accepting direction from other people when I was in my 20's. I was driving my own train, by necessity, and I think I would have welcomed a maternal/paternal figure telling me to shut up and listen. I can't deal with it now.

I wish you the best of luck. When I had one week of "not drinking" I was driving home saying to myself "Susan, what are you crazy? So you had a couple of bad days -- you don't have to get all crazy running into AA!!" Just then a woman I had met in a meeting three or four days prior called me on my cell phone. I started saying, "yeah, I'm sort of thinking I overreacted, etc." She was really cool. She said "Susan, do you think you can go out and limit the amount you drink on any singular occasion?" This was actually a trick question, because I'm thinking "of course I can do that, what's the big deal about that? If I have something to prove in this regard I can most certainly go out and limit myself on any occasion to two pints of beer, or two glasses of wine (as I'm considering my response to the question I'm thinking, "well, I'm not going to agree to limit it to 1, but I will agree to limit it to 2.") Anyway, I responded by saying, "sure, I can control myself and limit myself to 2 drinks." She said, "Susan, anything that you need to "control" is out of control." I told you, trick question. I couldn't argue with that logic.

I would like to say that's the last time I had to ask myself whether I am an alcoholic and really need to be in AA, but it wasn't. I think that's just the cunning nature of this beast (and Dallas would probably say it's also a function of talking about, rather than doing, the 12 steps!!).

I'm working on 90 days, so I'm not guru yet. But I would suggest if you're unsure about whether you're an alcoholic just make a commitment to yourself to go to an AA meeting everyday. Listen to what you hear there. Talk to some folks there after the meetings. You will be so surprised at how many people will be absolutely energized to meet you, and talk to you, and help you find the answer to that question. Even if you decide you're not an alcholic you'll meet a lot of wonderful people who will care enough to help you come to a conclusion.

And check back in here every now and again. 8)
Susan68

Postby Alicia » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:59 am

Im gonna try to have just 2 drinks today and I will let you know how it gos. I think i can do it. I want one of them now I have to get to work and they told me not to have a drink before work. damit i want 1 now but Im gonna wait til lunch I like it to much I geuss. May be I could a have a only hafle one now. I need my job to.
Alicia

Postby Susan68 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 am

Alicia wrote:Im gonna try to have just 2 drinks today and I will let you know how it gos. I think i can do it. I want one of them now I have to get to work and they told me not to have a drink before work. damit i want 1 now but Im gonna wait til lunch I like it to much I geuss. May be I could a have a only hafle one now. I need my job to.

Alicia,

I think, based on what you say here, that you should really get over to that AA meeting. If you think about alcohol more than you think about a favored vegetable, you probably have a problem.

Best of luck to you. :)
Susan68

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:19 am

Well Just a note I'm 48 years old and I can safely say that when I 1st drank I was a alcoholic. Heck I really did not drink often until my 30's and I was in my 40's before the craving set in. Then I drank to live. It is a fatal and progressive disease.

I was the type of drinker with a high tolerance and no off switch. I could drink enough to do real damage just because it was there. I latter learned I could drink beer and I would get full instead of sloppy.

Take Dallas up on his offer if you have not done so already. You have to make your decision. It is yours and yours alone. I hope it works out well either way for you.
DiggerinVA

Postby GeoffS » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 am

Stick your head round the door of an AA meeting and see if you hear anything familiar.
GeoffS

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober