- TRIGGERS

TRIGGERS

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

TRIGGERS

Postby Memgal306 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Damn't Dallas - you need to create a forum entitled TRIGGERS!!!!

####! My mom can really push my bottons. So can my best friend.

Ok I was ready to turn on the DVD player to my Criminal Minds (CM)marathon - but then I thought (I hate thinking) let me call mom so that she does not call during CM - no answer. Ok I thought I called my best friend - she ranted & rave about her son's girlfriend and then she had an idea for a chapter for my book. Then she told me that she emailed my EX boss asking her about my COBRA insurance when was so out of it in rehab. (I wonder what else was done or talked about while I was in rehab)I said why you? She replied O because your mom asked me to. :shock: Well my ex boss had called my parents as soon as I resigned in April to them firsthand before I did. In my head (what is the opposite of the ### committee? the AA committee? or maybe it is GOD?) I was laughing to myself - resentments LOL Kim! Yes girl you have major resentments against your friend, ex boss & your parents. Then mom returned my call & she said you sound stress? I am like in my head yea but I do not what to get into it. I did not what to explain about the phone call and the whys and the 4th step. Then she told me that the chipmunks were still eating the tomatoes out of the garden. She told me exactly what she had cooked for dinner for her & dad. I wanted but didn't screamed MOM I DO NOT CARE. Then she asked what had I done today & rattled of O I went to AA & Counseling. Then she asked "U doing ok?" I wanted to tell her to QUIT ASKING ME THAT & NO I AM NOT DRINKING! But i was nice & calm & said I am ok.... :x

OK :o I kinda feel better now. Doesn't she know that with her damn bangering & 20 questions & her meaningless chatter I WANT TO DRINK NOW! ####! But I won't because it is almost 8 pm & I am in my comfy clothes & am tired & I just want to watch CM & eat a bag of reese's peanut butter cups!

Thanks for reading. : ) God I hope this does not sound like a pity party.
Memgal306

Postby Jools » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Hmmm, generally, if I do not want to be disturbed while I'm watching TV I turn my phone off.

Also, just because I'm sober today doesn't mean my folks aren't going to be concerned if I'm still sober or if I'm doing ok. Mainly because I've quit drinking for periods of time and started back again so I've given them reason to doubt me. And, just because I've quit drinking and feel trustworthy, honest, and responsible now, doesn't mean they're automatically going to see me that way because I've never shown them that I can be. It's going to take time for them to trust me and not be so concerned about me. I sometimes have to remember that when they ask me if I'm still not drinking that they're asking me because they love me and care about me, not because they're trying to be nosy.

Hope this helps.

Julie
Jools

Thanks

Postby Memgal306 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Yes thank you. Thank you for that reality check. :)
Memgal306

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:23 am

Triggers? All I know about Trigger is: it was Roy Rogers horse... and it's now stuffed in a museum in Southern California! :wink:

The best treatment that I've discovered for triggers to drinking is to take the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

If an AA still has triggers to drinking -- they still have the mind of an alcoholic. (This is explained in our Big Book). The 12 Steps will remove the triggers IF the "12 Steps are TOOKEN prior to them being practiced.

"If I can't beat it -- there are two options:
a. I can join it.
b. I can get rid of it."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 am

My expanded answer... :lol:

We go to AA meetings sometimes... most often the discussion types of meetings... and topics will get picked such as the one above. Triggers, resentments, fear, etceteras...

And, the entire hour of the meeting seems to get consumed by AA's that are sharing every possible way that they can think of (or, been told of, or read in a book, or heard in a treatment center, or from a doctor or therapist, or their "good ole' common sense)... and not once during the hour does one of the other AA's just pop up with something like:

Resentments? Gid rid of them with the 12 Steps

Fear? Be free of it.

Triggers? Get rid of them with the 12 Steps.

Can I go into a place where alcohol is served? Sure -- just don't go in while you still have the mind of an alcoholic! What's that mean? Take the 12 Steps -- to be free of the mind of an alcoholic! That's what "recovered" means, (restored to sanity) along with being sober.

Relationships? Clean house with the 12 Steps, which will get your relationship with your self in order, your relationship with God in order, and it will prepare you for healthy relationships with others. Then, when you get in a relationship -- or, go home to an old one -- practice the 12 Traditions in the Home and in the relationship.

AAWS published a book years ago of at least 100 ways "to avoid taking the next drink" (not sure if the book is still published or not)... Only on the last page was it included... "If those things don't help -- try the Steps."

I think a smaller book could have been written (of course it wouldn't have sold as many copies or made as much money)... and the book have only one page... that said something like "Take the 12 Steps and see if the problem still exists. If the problem still exists... examine the way that you took the Steps... and re-take them if necessary. If that doesn't work, THEN we'll write more pages to this book!" :wink:

One of the purposes of the 12 Steps, by design, are to "get rid of the triggers" to drinking.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Thank you!

I think 'thinking' to much is a problem. At least until you get rid of the alcoholic mind.

Until then...having people that love and care about you and support you be there for you, help you....talk to you, bring you strength and peace...those are good things.

Even when its not easy to accept help....its necessary to stay sober...and sane!

Amazing wonderful things happen...and only gets better...

At least that is MY perception.

Thanks for letting me share

Heather
angel143

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Angel143 wrote:Amazing wonderful things happen...and only gets better...

Perhaps, it would be an encouragement for others and a help to others, if you shared the experience of your day -- with the quote as your topic title -- and let us know what amazing wonderful things happened to you -- in your day, today!

Also... on the Triggers topic... There are some little things that can help a newcomer with their "triggers"... UNTIL they get through their Steps.

Someone mentioned to me recently -- that they deleted certain telephone numbers in their cell phone -- to help them reduce their possible "triggers"... :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

I digested a lot of good info about the 4th step

Postby Memgal306 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm

ok what fun! In my AA meeting today, me being tactless & straightfoward. I asked if we could talk about the 4th step. :P Or else I was going to say Hey FOLKS I am really tired of hearing about being humble & humility! LOL So I was tactful & digested a lot of good info about the 4th step. Afterwards I went to the library & printed off (BECAUSE heaven help me - my printer does not work) Dallas ' 4th step guide & paperwork.
:wink:

I just want to thank everyone for their comments and patience. Thanks for listening & reading.
Memgal306

Re: I digested a lot of good info about the 4th step

Postby angel143 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Memgal306 wrote:
I just want to thank everyone for their comments and patience. Thanks for listening & reading.

Its not about patience...we love you, we understand, and listening and reading helps us. I thought that sounded so off the wall the first time someone said that to me...but I realize...it REALLY does help. So thank you for helping me.

Im glad you got some really great info! It feels good doesnt it!!!!

Heather
angel143

Postby angel143 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Dallas wrote:
Angel143 wrote:Amazing wonderful things happen...and only gets better...

Perhaps, it would be an encouragement for others and a help to others, if you shared the experience of your day -- with the quote as your topic title -- and let us know what amazing wonderful things happened to you -- in your day, today!

Also... on the Triggers topic... There are some little things that can help a newcomer with their "triggers"... UNTIL they get through their Steps.

Someone mentioned to me recently -- that they deleted certain telephone numbers in their cell phone -- to help them reduce their possible "triggers"... :wink:

Dallas

I will gladly post something about my day!!!

Deleting phone numbers...hmm...that actually sounds like a brilliant idea! 8)
angel143

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober