- 1,2,3, AA waltz...

1,2,3, AA waltz...

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

1,2,3, AA waltz...

Postby Memgal306 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey all. Yes I did the AA waltz...of course :roll: some of the dance I don't remember...but have been sober for a week...let's see how many dances it takes... :o hopefully that was the last dance for Kim! Just wanted to share.... :D
Memgal306

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Well... I hope you didn't wreck your wheel chair!!! :wink:

I'll have to tell you about my old friend Pedro, sometime.

Pedro was in a wheel chair, too. Except his drinking is what landed him in the wheel chair.

So, we'd have to pick up Pedro and his wheel chair and bring him to meetings.

One day after we dropped him off at his place after a meeting... He got thirsty and wheeled himself down to the liquor store.

He sat in his wheel chair in an alley next to the liquor store drinking.

After he was really good and tight... good and drunk... it was night time and very dark... and he cruised his wheel chair down a 4 lane avenue that is often populated by drunk drivers! As he was riding in the middle of the street (in the fast lane) with his wheel chair... a drunk driver came speeding down the road... and you guessed it... it broke nearly every one of Pedro's bones.

After about a year of being in the hospital, we started picking up Pedro, again, and taking him to meetings... This time, he couldn't move his hands or fingers or anything. His neck was in a brace to hold his head up. And, we had to pick him up out of the chair and carry him to the bathroom and help him take a pee... Sometimes, it was even worse. (Yes. We really were willing to go to any lengths... to stay sober! And, we did the any lengths, too! You want to talk humility???? )

Pedro eventually died, and we got a reprieve.... but, not before he spent a couple of years in agonizing pain and suffering... while sober. And, Pedro would have probably drank again if he could have found a way to get a drink down him!

The moral of the story that I learned from it??? Sometimes... drinking and it killing you is not the worst thing that can happen! Drinking and not having it kill me... and I'd have to live like Pedro sober... would be my luck!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby leejosepho » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:17 pm

1, 2, 3, drink
1, 2, 3, drink
1, 2, 3, drink

Been there, done that, puked on the T-shirt ... several times.

"The classification of alcoholics seems most difficult, and in much detail is outside the scope of this book. There are, of course, the psychopaths who are emotionally unstable. We are all familiar with this type. They are always 'going on the wagon for keeps.' They are over-remorseful and make many resolutions, but never a decision." (from "The Doctor's Opinion" in "A.A.", the book)

The most dramatic "resolution" this psychopath ever made was actually fairly early in my drinking. I no longer recall specifically what had prompted it, but it most likely had something to do with some kind of guilt or fear ... and I do remember it very well. I poured all my alcohol down the kitchen drain, then lit a fire in the fireplace and tossed in all my tobacco (including my favorite ashtray and my engraved Zippo) and certain magazines while giving God permission to "strike me dead" if I ever again touched any of that stuff ... and within two hours I was right back to where I had been just before all of that.

So much for making good on resolutions, eh?!

Ultimately, the decision we each face is this:

“When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn't. What was our choice to be?â€
leejosepho

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:29 pm

leejosepho wrote:The most dramatic "resolution" this psychopath ever made was actually fairly early in my drinking. I no longer recall specifically what had prompted it, but it most likely had something to do with some kind of guilt or fear ... and I do remember it very well. I poured all my alcohol down the kitchen drain, then lit a fire in the fireplace and tossed in all my tobacco (including my favorite ashtray and my engraved Zippo) and certain magazines while giving God permission to "strike me dead" if I ever again touched any of that stuff ... and within two hours I was right back to where I had been just before all of that.

I understand!!! :lol: :lol:

Been there, done that, and might have bought the same t-shirt! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Ever tried the 3 step dance, 1,12, and 13? Bad news for me.
Silverbullet

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober