- Hi! A brief Introduction...

Hi! A brief Introduction...

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby GeoffS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:40 am

Well who'd have thought Sara, you're an Aussie living in Scotland, and I'm a Scot living in Aussie- I'm off there in a couple of weeks too!

Hope to hear how you stay sober.
GeoffS

Postby Sara J W » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Wow, lovely responses from everyone ....Thanks!

I am off on a sailing trip for a week and am arming myself with my AF literature as I feel the pull of ' what happens at sea, stays at sea' and fear I may give into the almighty temptaion......

and Indeed I did :(

Feeling the usual remorse and withering pride.

BUT I am strong and I have it in me to do this

Positives

I am back on this site.
I want this to stick with all my heart.
I have the ability to get back on my horse and stay positive!

You will be seeing alot of me round these parts cos darnit this time there is NO GOING BACK!

I hope you are all healthy and happy today.
Talk soon
Sez xxx

[/u][/b]
Sara J W

Postby Sara J W » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Geoffs Where are you from in Bonnie Scotland?
I am returning to Melbourne for a visit in 3 weeks... very happy.
Sara J W

Postby GeoffS » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:39 am

Hi Sara, sent you a PM.
GeoffS

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:28 am

Hi Sara, just a quick hello. I've been working with a couple of guy's here in their early 20's. I'm 45 physically (18 or less mentally) and went to my first AA meeting when I was 26. This is my 7 or 8th time giving this a shot and in 2007 made some good progress but had to go for another 16 month run before I slinked back again. This time my sponsor was a former US Marine and had a different approach. Needless to say I was pissed off a lot but it took hold and the progress I made in the first 6 months this time was quite wild. It didn't hurt that I was unemployed for the first 4 months or so and had just enough uncertainy in my life to be teachable.

One lesson I did learn over the years that would have made things a tad bit easier would to have at least been honest about my drinking. When I ended up in the crap and still did not stop I hid it and drank on business trips for years while my family thought I was sober. That was not a helpful approach. If you do slip or have any issues please talk it out with those who care so that you can get the right perspective. However on that note give the program a chance and talk to people younger than you who have years of sobriety. And be teachable. Don't get me wrong I wish you success and that you would never have to live through some of what I lived through from the time I was 26 to 44. Like the time I was kicked out of Taiwan :oops:

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby Sara J W » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for your reply Ranman, I first entered the rooms of AA at 23, but I probably knew from at least 16 that I was a problem drinker. I guess one of the hardest things for me as that I have tended to ostracise myself in sobriety or when drinking, either to avoid making a fool of myself by getting to drunk or by avoiding social occassions at the pub, a party etc. I know a key thing for me to stay sober would be to forge friendships with AF folk my age or similar...this i have found quite hard. I have found it rare to find sober pple my age...
I know I need to 'get this' now and avoid being in the same place in years to come.
I have hope.
I will have access to meetings again soon and will volunteer for A regular service of some sort and get an appropriate sponsor.
Thanks for putting time into your reply, appreciated . Sara
Sara J W

Postby GeoffS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi Sara,

When you're over here, look up the Tuesday night meeting at Albert Park, lots of younger people go there. Its an 8 o'clock I think.
GeoffS

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Good stuff Sara. Sounds like you have some clarity going on so that can't hurt :)

Just out of curiosity what's AF?

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby Sara J W » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 am

geoffs- thanks for the meeting tip, that great will def get to that one as my tram line goes on the lightrail. Is that the one at a church about a minute from the station on the left?
Ranman...Af is Alcohol Free..I guess i picked that up from another online site. I found that particular site very clique which led me leave it...not what its all about.
Sara J W

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Ah OK. well then I'm happy to be SF!!! 278 days and I don't mean I'm in San Fran baby 8)
Ranman99

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober