- Having trouble staying sober in AA? Like it's not working?

Having trouble staying sober in AA? Like it's not working?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:44 am

The above is just my trip. I think no matter where we have come from and where we are at. The most important thing for me today is to trust that if I try my best to do the right thing one day at a time the right things will be put in my path. May take a few 24 hours but they will come if we are relentless. I MUST stay out of my own way.
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 am

Why not try an online temporary or even online permanent sponsor?

A couple of suggestions I would make (if they'll do it)... is Gunner, Digger, or Ranman. I'm sure that each one of them, or all of them together would be willing to help you.

There is always a solution to every problem. Sometimes, we just have to look a little harder or in a different direction for it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:04 pm

It's a small world.
DiggerinVA

Postby gunner48 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:20 pm

What I know that is true for me is when the student is ready the teacher will appear. Don't close your eyes to who God is sending you.

Peace and Love
Gunner
gunner48

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:13 pm

One of the things I even convinced my sponsor of this year is the power of this here old internet thingy. I wanted to get onto some amends with people that I know I would not see maybe never again and I knew when they heard what I had to say they would know I was sincere even if it was not eyeball to eyeball. It really really helped me so hey I am always ready willing and able. Two folks that needed some touch magically connected on Facebook this year.

I tell some folks around here that HP's search engine in www dot metacrawler dot com

Check that out if you have not used it already always sends you what the universe wants you to see hot darn :oops: BTW some of my friends do think I've gone nuts so I guess if this is nuts I'm lovin it :shock:

Weird though how I can't seem to have this and drink too.
Ranman99

Lost

Postby SteveBW » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:20 pm

First, my introduction - I'm Steve, and I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict.

This thread caught my attention, because this is me. I first came to AA in 2000. I maintained seven years of sobriety, then went back out on a bender, short-lived, but a bender nonetheless.

I came back in again, and things were going quite well. Then about a week ago, I was going through some drawers, organizing things, etc., and I came across a bottle that had been hidden away in there - only a couple of shots left in it, but...

Did I do the logical thing, and pour it down the drain? No. I just left it there. And sure enough, this morning, I went back to it, grabbed it, and drank it.

I feel no compulsion to go out and continue drinking. If anyone were to ask me why I did this, I wouldn't be able to answer. But the fact is I drank.

I've been on the phone with people, talking to sponsors, etc. But for some reason, nothing seems to have as much meaning to me as it did even a few days ago when I talk to these people.

I just want to put the damned bottle down. But it seems as though I'm doomed to keep repeating myself... And I don't know what to do from here, beyond the obvious steps - go to meetings, talk to people, etc.
SteveBW

Postby ccs » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:32 am

Hi Steve Welcome to the site !!!!

there are alot of great things to read here hope you will take advantage of them you may get alot out of them as I do and so many others that come here

Keep coming Back

just keep it simple for now if you dont have a sponsor that would be a good place to start hope to hear more from you

your Sister in Sobriety Cess
ccs

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:08 am

Hello Steve! Welcome to the site!

Once upon a time, I had to crawl into AA, I was so messed up. I hung around a few months, and like you... I picked up a drink, not even being aware of why or what I was doing. After the initial guilt and remorse... I figured I'd just stop drinking again... But, that was easier said than doen. So, I did my best to control it. For a little while, I figured I had it mastered... until I decided to quit entirely. That's when the drinking pedal sure hit the metal in my case! It seemed like the more and the harder I tried to stop or moderate... the more I drank.

For me, that's when my heart and my head realized -- the reason I drank was: I'm alcoholic. So, I'm doomed to die the alcoholic death. Period.

Luckily, I got a break. Another chance that I thought I would never get. I don't know why. Much better alcoholics than me, die every day drinking.

One thing that I was doing while I was still drinking, with the reality that I was doomed... was I started reading the Big Book, trying to figure out how Bill managed to stay sober and I couldn't even stop drinking.

So, I made a little list of some of the stuff that he was doing -- and, still drinking... I proceded to carry out the tasks on my list.

Maybe that's why I got lucky. Maybe there was something to it -- by trying to do what Bill did. All I know is that I was able to sober up and so far... stay sober. That was on November 14th, 1986... and so far, I'm still sober and still working my list.

I wish you the best. And, I hope you keep coming back.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober