- anyone help with tips for beating the compolsion to drink.

anyone help with tips for beating the compolsion to drink.

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

anyone help with tips for beating the compolsion to drink.

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:26 am

DAY 7. Anyone got some tips on how I can win against my compulsion to drink, some times I force myself to drink even though I dont want to, Im always able to come up with some reason or justification to get drunk, fully knowing that the next day the deppression will be so strong I will once again hate myself,
I go to meetings when I can and most I totaly enjoy them, I have phone numbers but am afraid to ask for help (fear of rejection) I have the tools but the compulsion to drink wins 9 out of 10 battles. is that typical for a struggling alcoholic.
some days Im scared Im going to drink but I still drink. Im broke at the moment so it makes it easier not to drink but when I get paid long before I get to the bar Ill have picked up a drink in my mind.
You get the picture.
regards T
Last edited by Madmax on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madmax

Postby DiggerinVA » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:23 am

Change is one of the biggest things we are afraid of. In the 4 th Step you look at your Assets and your Liabilities. Then in the 7th Step you give them to your Higher Power who takes the bad and returns the good. Oh and those nasty fears sort of evaporate along the way.

Someone once said "There is nothing to fear but fear itself" and we alkie's were real good at that.
DiggerinVA

Thanks heaps

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:12 pm

That comfort zone Im so used to isnt a comfortable place and inside that comfort zone is me. Its about time I had a long hard look at myself and stop procastinating, "God grant me the serenity" etc. hey?
Madmax

Postby gunner48 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:19 pm

The only THING that is constant in life is Change.
gunner48

Postby GeoffS » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:45 pm

The best way I've heard of to be rid of the compulsion to drink, is to work the 12 Steps of Alcoholics anonymous. Good thing is there is a book around too that tells you how to do it. Arm yourself with one of those and find a sponsor who's done it, and you have a chance.
GeoffS

Postby sober789 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 am

T
Going to AA meetings should lift the compulsion to drink.
Go to as many meetings as you can . Schedule them in your day and don't miss them, no matter what , work , wife or whatever . If you keep drinking you won't have work or wife much longer anyway so get your priorities right.
Regarding phone numbers - before the meeting ask the meeting chairperson to announce your situtation in the "Are there any AA related announcements" section at the end of the meeting . The announcement should request that some people take your number instead and call you (instead of you calling them). The ones with solid sobriety and a good program will have no problem calling and helping a newcomer out.
sober789

Postby GeoffS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Are meetings and fellowship (calling people) enough?

The Big Book suggests further work is needed.
GeoffS

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:11 am

Step 1 "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable."

Step 2 "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

Step 3 "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood Him."

Taking these essential first steps provides a good foundation to remove the compulsion to drink. Once we've turned our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand Him, taking the remaining 9 steps is easier and the rewards are immense.

Take care and hang in there.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:58 am

The only thing that worked for me was taking the 12 Steps.

Dr. Bob, wrote that he had the urge for at least 5 years.

I couldn't have made it that long without having been relieved of the compulsion through the Steps.

I hope that helps.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 am

And all I can add is it left me the second time I did the 12 steps and I don't know how cuz I'm the type of Alkie that never once in his life did not give in to the urge.

So that being the case if I were to ever be able to be of any use to anyone the urge had to be lifted.

Can't predict the future but if the urge does strike me know I will immedialty phone one of the 40 or 50 numbers I have in my phone especially a sponsee and see how they are doing. That I know will help get me out of my own way for a few moments.

Now if I could just stop smoking :) Darn :shock:

One thing at a time I suppose. :roll:
Ranman99

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober