- anyone help with tips for beating the compolsion to drink.

anyone help with tips for beating the compolsion to drink.

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby john boy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Max,

Along with everything that's been suggested here...going to meetings, working the steps, etc....also try a good meal BEFORE you drink...on the way to that meeting...
john boy

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Hey and I'll just add to that Hungry Angry Lonely Tired thread. Food now there is a better way. My thing is spicy food. ONE of the greatest joys I have today is eating very spicy Thai, Indian, or Vietnamese food. Really gets them old endorphins flowing and it is a better way. Then a meeting your right!! 8) :lol:
Ranman99

Postby ROBERT » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:06 am

Madmax, It has been said that the ONLY requirement for A.A. membership is a DESIRE to stop drinking-you don't have to stop, hell you may NOT be a real alcoholic, so keep drinking and reading if you have a book, you'll find your answere. No one can do that for you!Good Luck.
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:21 pm

I thought he indicated that it was day 7, sober... on Oct. 11th.

If he's still sober I wouldn't suggest to keep drinking... Hopefully, he is still sober. His question was about overcoming the compulsion to drink.... that he still had at day seven. At least, that's how I understand it when I read his message.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DiggerinVA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Dallas wrote:I thought he indicated that it was day 7, sober... on Oct. 11th.

If he's still sober I wouldn't suggest to keep drinking... Hopefully, he is still sober. His question was about overcoming the compulsion to drink.... that he still had at day seven. At least, that's how I understand it when I read his message.

Dallas

It is that dern time travel stuff. :P
DiggerinVA

Postby ROBERT » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Well thats how I overcome the compulsion, I undestand NO human power can relieve me so until I was ready, and that took more vain attempts , which was produced by...yes MORE DRINKING...I wouldn't take the necessary action as much as I wanted others to give me the answere, the majic equation if you will, PAIN was the great persuader. Alcohol beat me into a state of resonableness....sorry tough as it sounds MAX THAT SEEMS TO BE THE WAY REAL ALCOHOLICS LEARN....SO KEEP DRINKING. If you are a real alcoholic you will find your answere, for this real alcoholic the answere was the suggested program of recovery...the 12 steps.Once I had enough pain thru DRINKING.
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Shirt I was just pondering this. I never really ever had the drinking urge in the early days say up to at least 30. Usually because I was immobilized by the fear of whatever the current crisis I caused was. This time however I threw myself into step work with a new sponsor and stayed totally away from any trigger areas and low and behold I'm 11.2 months.

Now with some 12th step work especially and continuing to listen and reads lots of stuff and with the help of sites like this one my troubles have not been about wanting to drink or use just living life on life's terms.

If I get the urge to drink I would do as many meetings in a row as I could and phone as many of my AA friends as I could until it passed. If I needed to make an immediate life change to ensure my sobriety nothing would stand in the way of making that change.

They say in the big book when you are really antsy find someone else to help.

I like being sober and working the program. This plan is better than the plan I had come up with previously :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ranman99

Postby cogringo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I have to say snacking has helped me quite a bit at times also. Probably won't help my gut but I figure that's a small price to pay. I don't smoke so seems like I have to have some habit.
I have been so hungry since I stopped drinking I am guessing because I don't have all those empty calories I used to get.
cogringo

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:27 am

Yup. I'm not a sugar feign either but occasionally get the urge for cheese cake. I often forget how high in sugar content the booze is and when we cut it out we occasionally get urges.

A lot of folks recommend to keep some chocolate handy and if you do get a craving for a drink eat a chocolate bar instead and phone somebody and in a little while you find the craving is gone.

I managed to lose a fair bit of wait but probably that's because I used to drink my weight in beer about once a week :lol:
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Sam's Club had all their Christmas chocolates and cookies on clearance. You guessed it! I loaded up my Suburban! :lol: :lol:

I think I've gained 40 pounds in the last two weeks! :lol:

Guess it's time to break out the TotalGym!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober