- 1st day of being clean, campral, alts to AA?

1st day of being clean, campral, alts to AA?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

1st day of being clean, campral, alts to AA?

Postby cogringo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey there, tomorrow is my 1st day of planned sobriety. Doc is going to give me Campral and Clonezpam to help. I am not over the top but I have been drinking heavy every night for about 18 years. I am not sure AA's concept works for me (not an atheist but have an issue with the whole giving over acceptance for my personal control to God). Any ideas for other support groups in CO Springs area? Suggestions? I don't feel I am out of control completely as I accept I have an issue but I can't keep doing this. My liver will disown me at some point.
Thx
cogringo

Postby GeoffS » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:13 pm

As a member of AA I can make no comment on your medications, that is between you and your doctor.

I would suggest you stick your head round the door of a few AA meetings and see if you hear anything familiar.

Many of us had problems with god and the notion of control when we first came in.

Re-read step 3. Look for the word CARE.
GeoffS

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 am

Hey Coringo. All I would add is that about 18 years ago I attended my first AA meeting. Today I am 1 year and about 16 days sober. From this you can gather that I had an issue with control and I won't go into now what it finally took to get me willing but it took a few big two by fours in the noggin. Today I am extremely grateful that the program waited for me 8)
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:42 am

Hello cogringo,
I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution to your problem that you like, that you can agree with, and that you can live with.

When I first came to AA I had objections and problems with just about everything that AA had to offer. I, too, had tried to find alternatives. However, when my problem became greater than me and what I could manage to solve -- and it was killing me -- I decided to take the easy way out and change my mind about my objections and take actions that I didn't agree with and that I didn't believe in.... rather than die drinking.

Funny thing (the timing) that you should post this message. Yesterday I spent some time reflecting on what I was like when I first came to AA. I was remembering all the objections that I had! :lol:

So, I really do mean it, when I say "I understand." It was that way for me -- too.

I'll ask you three questions that I learned to ask myself (that help me):

1. "Have you ever changed your mind about anything?"

2. "Did it kill you to change your mind?"

3. "Will it kill you -- if you don't change your mind?"

Then, I add up my Yes' and No's. And, that helps me to make my decision.

Best regards,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cogringo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks all. I have decided to go to a meeting and give it a chance. I spoke with a friend of mine who had a big problem and it apparently really helped him out.
cogringo

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 pm

That's the spirit :D

My first sponsor who lives in Manhatten now has a good line from the city.

It can't hoit!

Ciao,
Ranman99

Help for alcohlics who want to achieve and maintain sobriety

Postby knny913 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 am

Hi Cogringo,
It never seizes to amaze me how much in denial we alcoholics are. I also started to attend AA several years ago, and got away from it because "it was too religious". After a few more years of drinking, I started seeing my Dr. more and more. She kept suggesting that I might try AA, of course my response was always the same, "they're too religious for me".
Finally she told me to "not get your shorts in a knot over the God part of it, look where you are headed (I was quite sick and without some sort of intervention I was heading to my death bed, already turning yellow). So I had no other choice, I certainly (like most of us drunks) didn't want to die. :( How would I be able to get my next drink if I did? :cry: I started attending meetings, my Dr. also prescribed some sort of medication for me, I'm not sure what now, but because I live so far out in the country she gave me something to keep me from going into convulsions during my withdrawals, at least to keep me stable enough to reach the closest hospital (40 miles) if I did.
I , as I said, started attending meetings, this time I also started to read the Big Book, and got a sponsor to work my steps with. I was still apprehensive about a Higher Power of any kind, but the more I got sober the more my mind opened. The longer I keep "doing the deal" the more I started to understand that things were changing and that I wasn't the one changing them. The miracle for me was happening, It wasn't 'til my third step prayer with my sponsor that I really started to change my attitude. I had a "spiritual awakening" about 6 months into sobriety that sealed it for me. I, just today, had some guys come into my shop in Salida and invited me to attend their church, my response to them was "no, but thank you anyway, I'm not a believer of organized religion, I'm very spiritual in my own way, but not towards organized religion" to which they didn't have an answer or reply for, so they asked to use the mens room and left. I did thank them again and told them that they were doing a good job. You see, just because religion is not for me, my belief is that I'm in no position to be judgemental, and what works for one person doesn't work for some one else.
After all that all I'm saying is if you want to get a life back, and if you really want to get sober, just keep an open mind and soon you'll figure out what is best for your program.
"The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stay sober" .
Good Luck, we are with you in prayer andd thought.
Kenny
knny913

Postby cogringo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks Kenny. I guess that really has been my thoughts as of recent years. I am not into the organized religion piece but at the end of the day whatever works to get you through the day is a good thing.
First meeting I am going to is this Saturday. 2nd day of sobriety, woo hoo!
cogringo

Postby MichalF » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 am

Hi Cogringo

First meeting-sounds exciting.
I keep my fingers crossed!
Good luck!
Mike
MichalF

Postby tim-one » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 am

Very good question, Cogringo. One it's likely that all of us asked at one time or another as it's stated in our book that "WE tried to find an easier, softer way, but we could not."

Kinda like going to a Baptist church to ask if any other religions can get you to heaven, ya think? But we will be honest with you as best we can.

My answer is ... Not for me.

One of the chapters in our book is "There is A solution". It goes on to clearly express that there may be other ways that are helpful or even may work for some. The point is that WE found a way on which WE can agree. And that's the solution you will find here.

You might find as you shop for your solution that most are religious or spiritual in some way or another.

I'm concerned for you that there are some things that you might be unwilling to change your mind about to get and stay sober. I had to come to the realization that everything I thought made me a drunk. I had to become willing to let go of all of them. I even put my God on the table.

Oh, He's the same God and would still be Himself whether believe in Him or not. But maybe it was MY perception of Him that wasn't right. I put my idea of God on the table and invited Him to reintroduce Himself to me the way He wanted me to see Him - with what I needed to understand of Him to stay sober.

He was more than willing to do that in wonderful ways.

All that was needed was an open mind and a willingness to change my mind ... about EVERYTHING.

Good luck shopping, brother.

Love ya, man. Go to those meetings and pay attention to what people say about themselves and how this thing works for them. It's a wonderous thing! It will take more than a couple of meetings for you to get a broad picture. Keep coming back.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober