- Appetite out of control since quitting

Appetite out of control since quitting

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Rain » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Ooops. That was Janice Keller Phelps, MD.

Big on nutruition as an aid to sobriety, and big on AA too.
Rain

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks Rain! BTW: There is a little icon to click towards the right of the message, where you can edit it -- if you'd like. I know because I have to use it often. :lol: If the button isn't showing up, let me know. It means we need to fix it so it shows up.

Thanks for the author info. The book I read may be by that author. If not I want to look up the author that you mentioned so that I can read her book, too.

About two years ago, there were two guys in a treatment center that we were picking up to take to meetings. One of the guys, when he got out of treatment picked a sponsor that was huge and ate a lot of ice cream. When the sponsee was having trouble staying sober I asked him if he had been following his sponsors suggestions. He said yes. I asked, have you taken the Steps? He said, no. I asked why? He said... his sponsor didn't care what he did -- as long as he started his day with a big bowl of ice cream for breakfast -- and to go meetings! :lol:

So, I checked w/ his sponsor. Sure enough. This was his sponsors suggestions!

For the longest time -- I couldn't figure out "Where in the heck did that idea come from?" Now I know! He must have seen it in a movie! :shock:

I knew the sponsor's history... but didn't know that he was that looney! His history was that he talked all the time about God, used to smoke pot in the parking lot after meetings... and I guess... he was taking bites instead of taking Steps!

I tried to convince the newcomer "Man, eat your ice cream or whatever, but you've got to take the Steps if you want to stay sober!"

He said he thought he would listen to his sponsor instead.

Two years later? The newcomer is still drinking... his liver is gone, and he can't get sober. Not sure if he's still eating his ice cream each day, though. He was in and out and in and out -- and each time, would go right back to the same guy that had been sponsoring him, for his directions.

I'm so glad -- and lucky, that I was able to pick a sponsor that told me which book to read first! And, it was a sponsor that told me "Look. If there is anything I ask you to do that's not in the Big Book -- Disregard what I told you. You don't have to do it."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby junebug » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 am

just jumping in here. Ya, I have gained a couple of pounds. Worried at first till I realized it's because I am actually EATING and not drinking my calories. (My skin looked horrible, I couldn't think, well-we all know what alcohol does to us. ) To me, it's a small price to pay for being on a good road to sanity!
junebug

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober