- Social anxiety and AA meetings

Social anxiety and AA meetings

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Social anxiety and AA meetings

Postby Phillip K. » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Just checking in, found this forum last night seems like a nice collection of opinions....I posted last night but Im not sure I did it right and didnt see it show up on the board. I have abused alcohol for 25 years and have stopped drinking for as long as three months at a time, but I fool myself into thinking Im ok and get back to the old bad behavior, Im wanting to go to an AA meeting but I have social anxiety when im not drinking, but I just have to toughen up and go, well thanks for listening. Ill check back in
at least try to stay accountable here.
Phillip K.

meetings

Postby Bobby D » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:54 pm

First one is toughest..... My experience has been that you are made to feel comfortable.....I didn't participate @ all first few meetings.. just listened.. I also made sure I wasn't early...therefore I avoided the pr-meeting "chatting"...... after a little bit you find you have quite a bit in common with some people...

Good luck and welcome to this forum... it does help

god bless

Bob
Bobby D

Postby Dallas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Hello Phillip, here is a link to the message you posted last night:
http://www.step12.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12827

Welcome to the site!

I had social anxiety, too, when I first stopped drinking and I wish they had sites like this when I first came to AA... but, we didn't have the public Internet then. (1986) :lol: It would have made it a lot easier for me. And, my social anxiety starts up again -- when I stay away from other AA's for too long!

Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Phillip K. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks to Bobby and Dallas, I really appreciate your replies, now I dont feel so strange about my apprehension! this ends my fourth day sober, thanks again ill keep checking in.
Phillip K.

Postby Dallas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:45 am

Congratulations on your 4th Day Sober!!!! If you're anything like me when drinking -- that's a really BIG accomplishment! Keep coming back. Feel free to make yourself at home here. We enjoy hearing from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober