Social anxiety and AA meetings

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober
Phillip K.

Social anxiety and AA meetings

Postby Phillip K. » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Just checking in, found this forum last night seems like a nice collection of opinions....I posted last night but Im not sure I did it right and didnt see it show up on the board. I have abused alcohol for 25 years and have stopped drinking for as long as three months at a time, but I fool myself into thinking Im ok and get back to the old bad behavior, Im wanting to go to an AA meeting but I have social anxiety when im not drinking, but I just have to toughen up and go, well thanks for listening. Ill check back in
at least try to stay accountable here.

Bobby D

meetings

Postby Bobby D » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

First one is toughest..... My experience has been that you are made to feel comfortable.....I didn't participate @ all first few meetings.. just listened.. I also made sure I wasn't early...therefore I avoided the pr-meeting "chatting"...... after a little bit you find you have quite a bit in common with some people...

Good luck and welcome to this forum... it does help

god bless

Bob

Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Hello Phillip, here is a link to the message you posted last night:
http://www.step12.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12827

Welcome to the site!

I had social anxiety, too, when I first stopped drinking and I wish they had sites like this when I first came to AA... but, we didn't have the public Internet then. (1986) :lol: It would have made it a lot easier for me. And, my social anxiety starts up again -- when I stay away from other AA's for too long!

Keep coming back!

Dallas

Phillip K.

Postby Phillip K. » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks to Bobby and Dallas, I really appreciate your replies, now I dont feel so strange about my apprehension! this ends my fourth day sober, thanks again ill keep checking in.

Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:45 am

Congratulations on your 4th Day Sober!!!! If you're anything like me when drinking -- that's a really BIG accomplishment! Keep coming back. Feel free to make yourself at home here. We enjoy hearing from you!

Dallas

Return to “Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober”