- Lets try again...

Lets try again...

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Lets try again...

Postby angeleyes13 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I just have to say wow... Everyone was right! You have to go to the meetings... You have to work the steps! It just doesn't work on your own. I went to my first meeting tonight... It went something like this: Excited, Scared, Nervous, Anxious, Knots in stomach, Little queasy, Emotional, Very Very Tired! I don't know if I can do it again, but I'm going to try! Tomorrow night at 7:30pm
I got up this morning and just felt like I needed something. I read about how well Bobby is doing :) I'm so happy for you Bobby! Congrats on 30+ days... I must say I felt a little envious :( It occured to me that I could have also been anouncing 30 days sober, but unfortunately I took the road most traveled... I tried to do it on my own. Even though I knew I couldn't do it on my own I still tried it... Doesn't work You have to go to a meeting, fellowship, work at it, get the help! You don't get sober just by willing it so... I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't. I feel better knowing that I made a step in the right direction. I took the road less traveled and that has made all the difference :)
angeleyes13

two roads...

Postby Bobby D » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 am

Glad to hear from you.. I was worried about you ....

I rememebr my first one... I ddin't even go in I was so anxious ...I actually sat in the parking lot and drove away after it started...It is a large group 20 plus people and I was intimidated not knowing anyone ect....

The next day I did muster the courage to make it in and found the selfless attitude life changing....All ( or most ) of the sharing was directed at me, as if they knew me..starngers even gave me phone numbers and urged me to call if I needed to talk to anyone... Now I go 5 - 7 days a week depending on Work and My Wife is even coming with me this Sunday !

The great thing about this program is when you take the wrong fork, the road circles back to that one less traveled to give you another opprtunity.

keep coming back and keep us informed on how the meetings are going

Prayers are with you

Bob
Bobby D

Postby tim-one » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks, you two.

You're right, Bobby ... Courage is the very first thing needed to subject myself to ... well ... I had no clue what I was subjecting myself to. I just knew I was desperate to unsubject myself to drunken misery. Courage in the face of desperation.

A desire chip is an act of courage to me. I highly respect people who get one.

I'd heard "A little AA knowledge just ruins a perfectly good drunk." :wink:

Yep ... once I heard what goes on in AA and just had to get some more practice ( and a couple of dry chips) I finally started to HEAR what I was listening to. After going to a few meetings, I was even more miserable drinking knowing that I didn't have to. I just had to do what they said and stop trying to skirt the issue.

How bareassing to get dry chips ! As my crack-head brother's sponsor told him, "You can't save your face and your butt at the same time." :P

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Thanks Guys...

Postby angeleyes13 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 pm

It feels good to know that I have people out there that care, and most importantly understand :)
angeleyes13

Postby GeoffS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Often you hear people say how they wish they had up more time than they do, its natural. But looking at anyone with runs on the board, remember they all started off at day 1.

Also remember that if you are on day 2, you can offer the person on day 1 hope that they can make it through - you can start helping others with this thing that quickly!!!

Also I here people say I have 'only' 3 weeks up. Only - nothing, 3 weeks sober for an alcoholic of our type as described in the big book is nothing short of a deadset miracle!! We are not programmed to go for 3 weeks sober. Also remember that 3 weeks seems like a life time to the person who just put the bottle down. Be happy you can offer them that hope that 3 weeks is acheivable, and even better tell them what you did to get there. Remember you are closer to that time in your own journey and may be able to help in ways a 30 year member can't.
GeoffS

Postby tim-one » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 am

Absolutely right, Geoffs.

In the beginning, the only thing I had was hope. The only experience I had was disaster. Strength? pfffft. Nothing to share but incredible hope. I don't even know where THAT came from, I was so lost in futility.

But it was hope that first brought me into AA. Desperate hope. the old timers were daunting to me. Thirty years is way too long for me to even consider. Had no concept of it.

It was the one's who had a month, 3, 6, 12 who impressed me most. even the guy who was a day ahead of me. Keeping coming back, I watched the lights come on in their eyes cuz I couldn't see it in myself. Eventually I was able to notice my own progress through the haze.

Be where you are today. Appreciate it for what it is knowing that even YOU are hope to someone who is paying attention. It's likely a world better than it was your last day drinking. Enjoy today.

"I didn't drink today." "Wow, brother ! That is NO SMALL THING !"

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober