- the need to hit bottom

the need to hit bottom

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby keepontrudgin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 am

This is a great post, all over the place, but honest sharing our experience.

One thing that really helped me early on was listening to cassette tapes some guy gave me after a meeting. Bob Earle's "Head Trips" and Sandy Beach "Drop the Rock" helped me understand the way my brain seemed to be set on self destruct. Bob Earle has a great story and so funny. Somehow, listening to those tapes helped me accept who I was, that I was OK, and maybe this would work for me, too.

Rosie
keepontrudgin

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for sharing Rosie! Those are some great talks by a couple of guys that sure carried a pwerful and sometimes funny way of sharing their story!

Angeleyes, Congrats on your one month!!! That's great!!!

You're right about keeping busy helps -- for me, though, sometimes I'd get too busy to doing "First Things First." And, that always lands me into some rough and complicated situations.

Best wishes to you both!!! Keep coming back. I need you! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Bobby D » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:57 am

THIRTY DAYS !!!! AWESOME
Bobby D

Postby cajunbam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 am

Bensober wrote: I would also think it fare to share for those "higher bottom" lot ...that a little pain is enough...why go through anymore if we don't have to?

I actually hit the proverbial "bottom" a number of times and each was different. This last time, I hit bottom - sober. I had been a dry drunk for several years and transferring my addictions to other areas which I didn't feel was hurting anyone else. WRONG! I thought I'd never get kicked out of my own house - sober. But I was and within a few weeks of living in a cheap hotel, I hit bottom - sober. I looked around me, closed my eyes and reached out to God for help. I didn't know what to do anymore - I was truly lost. That's what you do when you hit bottom. You look up and ask for help. At first I was a little confused by the answer - go back to AA. But I trusted what that little voice inside my head was saying, and I did. And, I am so very glad I did. I got myself back, and have steadily improved my relationship with my Higher Power, and am living back home with my wife and kids. We are growing into a happier familial existence this day, not just existing, but living life. Life is worth living today thanks to AA.

Peace,
BrianM
cajunbam

Location: McDonough, GA - about 605.09 miles from Cajun Field

Postby ccs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 am

awesome words Brian thank you just what I needed to hear/read today
:D
ccs

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:44 am

I'm with Cessie, Bryan! Ditto on your sharing! Good stuff!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby junebug » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but.......it's really helpful. I have been listening to my own "grand central head" and I too have been thinking how I was so "business class" in my drinking that I couldn't relate to anyone's battle stories. The phrase "I hit bottom when I stopped digging" litterally made me stop and take a breathe. Thank you for your share. There it is: God's message for me today! :idea:
junebug

Junebug!

Postby angeleyes13 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm happy to see you here... I've not been on the site for a long time, but I am happy to say it really helped me when I needed it! I hope you keep coming back! I am currently 9 months and 20 days sober! Yeah :O) So this site does help you keep on track! I really needed lots of support early on and the people here were very helpful! So thanks :O)
angeleyes13

Re: Junebug!

Postby junebug » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 pm

angeleyes13 wrote:I'm happy to see you here... I've not been on the site for a long time, but I am happy to say it really helped me when I needed it! I hope you keep coming back! I am currently 9 months and 20 days sober! Yeah :O) So this site does help you keep on track! I really needed lots of support early on and the people here were very helpful! So thanks :O)
Thanks and great to hear from you. This site is a great addition to my work in AA.
junebug

Postby Bensober » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes Junebug & Aneleyes from Dallas’s post on Mar 26, 2010 may seem like a log time and I’ve been out of the “log loopâ€
Bensober

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober