- 7th Tradition

7th Tradition

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

7th Tradition

Postby mendomann » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Is it customary to use 7th tradition funds for picnics and Christmas parties?
mendomann

Postby Dallas » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 am

It depends on the Group Conscience decision. Each Group is autonomous... and they, as a group, decide for themselves.

However, most Groups, that I'm familiar with, keep the 7th Tradition $$ separate and they don't mix it. This prevents argument and controversy. They pass a separate basket or can -- with the explanation that "this is what this goes for".

Some members will believe that the groups activities are a vital way that they are carrying the message. Others, won't. It's often difficult to please one of them... and when you get to two, and three... well, you probably know what I mean! :lol:

Best regards w/ the Christmas party & picnic! Be sure to send me an invite! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 pm

I agree. It's best to use a different basket with an explanation.
Danni

Postby Rain » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:21 pm

But still, each group is autonomous. Even groups of groups.

Where I am there are a couple of annual events: Picnic, Chili Cook off, Gratitude Dinner that are put on by Intergroup to raise funds that supplement the groups donations.

As long as you they are not seeking outside contributions, and not effecting AA as a whole, the group should be OK.
Funds can go to alot of places, and it is the group concience how and to whom they go.

How did you interpret Tradition Seven?
Is there something in this situaton that isn't what the group wants?

Personally, I know that the Holidays being as hard on a lot of us, and I've been to some Christmas parties/alkathons and realized that this might be the only warmth and celebration that some of us, expecially the new and estranged are going to be invited. I think it would be a good use of funds.

Picnic ditto.

EDIT: I just read "Dr. Bob on Tolorance" over in the AA History Forum. Did me some good, and it might be worth a look see for you.
Rain

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober