- Daniel Kramer

Daniel Kramer

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Daniel Kramer

Postby dkramer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:37 am

Hi all, well this is the first time that I am trying to reach out. I ended up going through a six pack of beer, a couple glasses of wine, and a couple shots last night. I feel horrible this morning. I made a complete ass of myself infront of my wife last night. What would have otherwise been a great evening was ruined again by my selfish behavior. I want to change. I want my son to grow up with a good father, one that isnt a loser. I want to stop now before I throw everything away. I realize now that I am a alcoholic. I dont know the twelve steps, but I am willing to give it a shot. I have no one but myself to blame. I have become a dishonest and weak human being. I know I can change. I want to feel good in the mornings. I want my wife to respect me and not wonder why she is still with me. Its like a wierd cycle. I stop drinking heavily for a few days weeks, or even months...but eventually I go way to far and get way to drunk. Thats my story...maybe it can become a happier and more honest one if I can change. Thanks
dkramer

Postby butch » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm

welcome d kramer;
i would encourage you to look for an aa meeting in you local area and start attending there. i know when you walk in for the first time you will be scared to death, but know that everyone in that room started at the beginning also. you will be with friends you haven't met yet, but they will be very understanding, compassionate, and helpful. if you truly wish to quitdrinking and become sober, that is the place for you. wishing you the best in recovery.
butch
butch

Postby dkramer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Butch,

I really got this wierd feeling after I read your message. It wasnt until I had read it completely and then saw your name. Thats when it hit me...there area already so many friends that I simply dont know. I looked up the meeting times and I am thinking about going. I might wait until Monday to go. I am thinking about setting up a meeting with my best buddies and family, individually and/or groups and letting them know that I am going to try to stop cold turkey...many of friends seem to have the same problem as me weather they realize it or want to admit it is another story. What goes on in the meetings, and how can I findout more about the twelve steps? I apprecaite that you wrote back, I was already thinking about the end of the day, after work and going home...Its friday, and very normal for me to have a few drinks at a minimum. I was trying to figure out how to avoid drinking. Maybe a run and some exercise...and seltzer water in a beer bottle...I dont know....Did you use some sort of substitute like that? Bottom line...thanks for your response, it actually made me feel better and as if I have already begun my journey...Talking about it is the easy part, but maybe it does help to make it move into action.
dkramer

Postby butch » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:11 pm

d kramer;

if you have a strong desire to quit, then please please, go to a meeting today/tonight if at all possible. at the meetings people share their story if they wish or maybe just listen. i do know that you can find peace and understanding at aa meetings. you need to know nothing to attend, except that you wish to become sober, and going to meetings will give you the tools to do so.
just remember that everyone at the meeting has a desire to attain soberity and will help you if you let them.
butch
butch

Postby butch » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:20 pm

d
sorry, i didn't answer your question. me, i haven't found or looked for a substitute other than a piece of chocolate if i have a craving. i drink lots of water and coffee. keeping busy and no idle time helped me in the beginning. the things that give me the peace i need are prayer and meditation and going to meetings.
hang in there, it gets better.
butch
butch

Postby Bobby D » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:01 pm

D,

First Welcome... Thi sis a great forum... You have already taken a giant step in recognizing you have a problem with alcohol !!!

Compared with alot of folks here I'm a relative newcomer to the fellowship....three monst sober last week,...BUT ...My personal experience ... Meeting with buddies... especially active drinkers first , may not be the best approach.. there will be plenty of time for that down the road... I was almost a month sober before I let them in on my "recovery" and found it easier to explain.... ( but thats just me ) ..

I also tried the wait till next week approach.. it was 6 months later that I finally went to my first meeting as there was always an excuse not to go..

Right now while your feeling remorseful about recent activities is a good starting point.. Once a few days go by the blues fade a little and your mind starts convincing you you really dont have a problem...

you will be surprised at the selfless acceptance you will recieve at an AA meeting...

As for a substitute.. again just me.. but keeping myself super busy was my best approach.. Although like Butch I have an amazing sweet tooth since I stopped drinking...seems to kill the craving for some reason

Good luck and keep coming back

Bob
Bobby D

Postby DiggerinVA » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:33 pm

The solution is in working the 12 Steps, they need to become your way of life. The person who you described sounds pretty typical of a newcomer to the rooms. Now meetings are important in that they are a fellowship, but they in and of themselves will not get you to the point of being happy, joyous and free. That comes from doing the program. It is spelled out in the Big Book. It is in the Big Book forum or at AA.org. The meetings have them for sale too, usually cheap.

Go to a meeting and find a sponsor to take you through the steps, that is their job. Then have the meeting with your friends and you will have your job.

PM if you like or post any questions here.
:)
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Welcome to the site dkramer.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober