- Friday night anxiety.....

Friday night anxiety.....

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Friday night anxiety.....

Postby KT » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi folks, just needed to get some things down in writing. Journaling my ups and downs seems to help. Especially on Fri nights. This was my drinking night. I wasn't an everyday drinker. I liked to drink at the end of the work week. It was my reward. This is the night when I was on a mission to get drunk. Drown away my problems or celebrate my success. For some reason I feel anxious tonight. I worked alone today at the office and was unable to get to my noon meeting. I know I cannot take even one drink because it will ruin and spoil all of my hard work I have put in to myself and this program for the past 7 1/2 months. I have been repeating the serenity prayer over and over today to keep myself from having thoughts of drinking again. Today I will not drink. Today I will keep my faith in God to get me thru another day. It is so true, the 24 hour thing...one day at a time....keep coming back....the spiritual power of the program. It is my responsibility to have the WILLINGNESS to ACCEPT God and His presence. I believe Humility is the answer. To keep myself teachable and turn my will over to the care of God.
I have a chance to outgrown the limits of my past if I accept and act upon the advice of other AA's. I welcome any advice or comments.

Thank you for letting me share.

Love Kathy
KT

Postby KT » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

Alright....sorry to be such a cry baby last night. Being so new in my sobriety, I sometimes have more downs than ups. I know this is where I need to be. I know God has a plan for me and if that includes Friday night anxiety than His will be done.

I will still welcome any advice and comments....never get enough good advice from those of you that have struggled with the emotional side of this disease.

Today I will not drink. Today I will be grateful for all of God's forgiveness and grace that He so freely gives.

Thank you all so much for hearing me out. You are helping me in more ways than you'll ever know.

God bless....

Kathy
KT

Postby RichC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 am

That anxiety stuff is tough sometimes.
I was told by a Doc that our bodies are on a schedule and preps itself for the time it gets the weekly or daily dose.
The anxiety is the body saying Hey I'm ready but you don't deliver.
It does get better with time.
But to be honest it still creeps in now and then.
Better known as those Triggers in AA.
Funny where it happens too.
But if you look around when it does you can usually pick out the time or even a place close by that tripped the trigger.
I drive by the liquor store and it happens every two or three times.
I try not to drive by it as much as practical.
I have been sober 7 1/2 years and every now and then it hits me.
Doesn't last long (5 to 10 minutes) but it still is there.
And like I mentioned I look around or look at the situation I am in that moment and LOOK the TRIGGER.
LOL how funny our minds and bodies work.

As for the Cry baby comment...
Cry all you want.
If that helps to get by it, then do it.
We understand and want you to cry on our shoulder.
Lord knows we do and did it enough too.
No Harm No Foul there.
I may just cry on your shoulder some day.
Consider your moment my down payment for my moment.

Welcome to seeing our world Kathy.
It's worth it and you know it.
RichC

Postby gunner48 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 am

Do not be concerned about crying. Those little drops of water clean the soul and sometimes we need a little extra grace. Remember to work on your relationship with God. Work with someone else, We are here and as Shirley H. use to say to me many years ago. Let us love you until you can learn to love us back.

My past is my greatest asset
Today is the best day I will ever have.

Peace and Love
Gunner
gunner48

Postby KT » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:57 am

Thank you both so much for your great advice and comments. I truly am enthusiastic about my sobriety. It's like I can't get my hands on enough material to read. Or really listen at a meeting enough. I WANT what you both have. I know in my heart how much my life has changed in even this short period of time. And it's so cool to get an "AH HA" moment like when of your grown children notice the changes and say something like "You're so goofy mom, but goofy in a good way now" - that came from my 24 yr old daughter on her birthday July 10th. There is alot of mending and work to build back my relationship with her. I was a good mother....my kids never needed or wanted for anything....so I thought...what they needed and wanted was for me to stop drinking. And I would make promises that I would and then not work the program and start right back up on my Friday night binges. Also drank on Tues nights, because I usually get off early on Wed's. I also never had problems at work due to drinking....HA.....so I thought again....what about all the times my attitude showed different. So again....I was lying to myself more than anything else. Denial was huge when I look at it now. And just because I got sober doesn't mean I won't have problems or challenges. That's life....so with these tools the AA program gives freely to me helps keep me in check. I have noticed the way I react to these challenges is way different. Way better I think. By clearing out the cobwebs I'm able to be patient, most times pray on it...or talk to another AA. Recovery is a journey and I thank God everyday for all of his forgiveness and for accepting me for who I am.

Thank you both again, for your awesome advice. I am attending a meeting this Friday night with a friend who lives by me. He had a horrible experience last summer. I want to reach out to him because it is true....when we help others it helps us.

Today I will not drink. Today I will praise God for everything He has done for me in my life. I will thank God for my sobriety and guiding me in the right direction to a better life. What a beautiful God!

Have a great day and God bless you all. Thank you for letting me share.
KT

Postby sober1988 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Glad to have found this group. My name is Teresa and I am an alcoholic. Looking forward to listening and sharing with you all! Thank God for online AA as well as the face to face groups. The message can be coveyed in all forums. Don't drink, read the big book, pray about it and keep coming back! In the fellowship, Teresa
sober1988

Postby Bensober » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 am

Hi Teresa! Welcome! Look forward to having you join us too! I find this forum/meeting is like a pot luck banquet where everyone brings something to the table…suffering to enlightenment and everyone gets fed.

Kathy, good to see the tears and anxiety have gone to the resolve of not drinking today and your praise in relationship with God. It’s very humbling to observe every person I have witnessed do this be relieved of fear and anxiety(untreated alcoholism) and be a part of that awesome power.

You know in chapter 5 How It Works before the Steps are read is “Remember that we deal with alcohol-cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power-that One is God. May you find him now! Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. We asked His protection and care with complete abandonâ€
Bensober

Postby gunner48 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

Hi Teresa and welcome to the site. Good to read what my friend Ben put down. I'll have a large bowl of that spirital stew today. Have enjoyed sitting looking out into the back acres today. So for deer, turkey, squirrels and a beautiful hawk have brightened my day. Heading for Texas next week to celebrate my friend Roberts life and celebrate my 21th year as a sober member of AA. Wouldn't trade lifes with anyone. God has blessed me with the love of so many people. Dallas I hope we get to meet for lunch as I come into Ft Smith. Looking forward to it.
Still working on improving my relationship with God and the people I love

Peace and Love
Gunner
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Welcome to the site Teresa! Looking forward to reading more from you! Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Larry H. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Welcome Teresa, Looking forward to your ESH

Larry,
--------------
"Step One -- You messed it up
Step Two -- It can be fixed
Step Three -- But not by you!"
Larry H.

Next