- New Years resolutions

New Years resolutions

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Still alcoholic

Postby sparklek » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi I am Krystal and I am an alcoholic. This forum was recommended to me by a great old timer in Los Angeles. I was home from the holidays and he was the speaker. I am currently working and leaving in Egypt and sobriety has taken on new turns here as going to any length has been tested in my first three months here. I am so grateful this a world wide program and I can have meeting here. I am use to many, many meetings in LA and reaching out on skype and other ways online has really helped.

New Years Resolution struck me. Since I have been here I have really gotten to see how unmanagable I am at 2 years sober. I have many character defects and I MUST apply the steps to my life, attend meetings and do something for someone else to not be a complete maniac.

I am a great procrastinator and I am also quite impulsive. This made for a wonderful trip home but full of the pressure I create over and over again for myself. This time around I was in step 6 and became willing to be aware of my fault in my problems. My goal this year, as I finally see I can not change myself, is to pray for the willingness to change as I become aware of my character defects. I am humbled at my useless attempts to change myself! This is me and I realize I have a HP that loves and protects me even in my insanity. What grace. Thank you all for being a part of this program and carrying the message to me!
sparklek

Postby junebug » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Krystal and welcome!
junebug

Postby Dallas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 am

Making a resolution or commitment is easy. Often, getting started at it is not a big task either. It's finishing what was started, by continuing to take disciplined actions -- all the way to the finish line is what alcoholics seem to have the most trouble with. The only thing we seemed to finish well, was the last bottle -- and then to get started on another new one! :lol:

Discipline was the first thing I had to work on. Actually Do-ing rather than think-ing. Fortunately, I had help. I had the opportunity to sober up following the lead of some really great AA's that had much experience in living sober. They said, making an AA commitment is a commitment to my sobiety and how well I carry that commitment out will show how well I'll adjust to living sober -- or, if I won't adjust to living sober.

They also said, that the first thing I had to master was "do what you say you will do." If you say you'll do it -- then do it. One thing at a time. Keep it simple. Start by learning to make a simple "To-Do List" and do what's on my list. At first, if it's not on my list -- don't worry about it -- just stick w/ the simple things on the list -- and if I can keep those commitments -- it will inspire and empower me to eventually add to my list.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby junebug » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks Dallas. So true. Part of my tornado mind when not drinking (before 5 pm! most days) was that I couldn't make a simple decision-no kidding. Near the end, I remember having this MAJOR conversation with myself about weather to take the dirt road to my house or go on the longer paved road. That was one of the things that made me seek this way of life. I KNEW that a 15 minute debate in my head about a road was going to kill me. All the while I am suppose to keep it together for everyone else, etc. I had fantasies of just snapping one day-didn't really know what that would look like-just wanted to make it stop. I never really finished much. "Oh-it's becuase I have ADHD or ADD".....no it's becuase I'm AlChOliC!!!! Oh ,and rereading this post-I will also add that I had some very big physical consequences from my drinking (broken bones) but it was the little bit by bit by bit of insanity that brought me to you all.
junebug

Thanks

Postby sparklek » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for the idea about making a list and actually doing what I say I will do. Yup, I also have major troubles with making a decision. I am either impulsive, which leads to putting myself in bad spot (such as being broke) or obsessive (which leads to just plain insanity). I am going to try to keep this thing simple today and see what happens.
sparklek

Postby junebug » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

great topic !
junebug

Postby Toast » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,

As well as a 'To Do List' i was taught to have a 'To Be List' where i would write down all the qualities i thought a decent human being would have. Things like kindness, honesty, respectful, tolerant,helpful, encouraging, complementary etc, all things i couldnt be unless there was a drink in it for me. :)

Once i found out my defects i had to replace them with some assets. If i work on the above list as best as i can then the defects will go and the assets will grow. :lol:

I make a point of complimenting someone everyday, be it the girl in the coffee shop or some guy i work with. Nothing to flattering or self serving just enough to let them know what they do is appreciated. :D

Helps keep my negative side in check :P
Toast

Postby sparklek » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks Toast. I like that idea.
sparklek

Postby flying fiddler » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Toast, I really like that idea. Helps me look forward to a more positive attitude towards life.
flying fiddler

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober