- Cravings

Cravings

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:18 pm

No. I don't recommend staying in Step 1 until the desire is removed -- because that won't remove the desire or the obsession.

The phenomena of "craving" only takes place AFTER we take a drink... that's why we can't take the first drink. It's the first drink that set's up the "craving" for the 2nd. drink.

The phenomena of "mental obsession" with drinking is not the same as "craving."

So, if you're "thinking (obsessing) on drinking" as a solution... you're "not craving"... you're experiencing the "mental obsession"... which the BB refers to as "the mind of an alcoholic."

We often refer to this as "being dry" (without alcohol) verses "sobriety" (which means MORE than physically sober).

The ONLY way I know of -- to get to SOBRIETY (which is having the mental obsession removed and restored to sanity) is to take ALL 12 Steps.

As long as your thinking of drinking -- you have the mind of an alcoholic. That's what "insanity" is referring to in Step 2. "the insanity of drinking".

The AWAKENING referred to in Step 12, is the result of a "transformation of thought and attitudes" -- which takes place as a RESULT of "these Steps" (ALL 12 Steps).

Here's the deal in a nutshell. :wink:

Step 1: You're on borrowed time and you're going to drink again, and for you to drink again is to die -- unless you get to Step 12 as soon as possible. You don't have the Power to "not drink". You can "not manage" not to drink. That's what you're admitting in Step 1.

Step 2: You're admitting your crazy -- in regards to drinking. You're nuts in regards to alcohol. This is WHY Step 1 is a fact for you -- that you WILL drink again, because you're alcoholic -- UNLESS you experience the transformation of thought & attitude that comes about as a result of ALL 12 Steps.

Step 3: You simply made a DECISION to do something about it. You HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING YET -- other than to make a decision.

It's like -- you know you got to go to the bathroom. So, you make a decision to go to the bathroom. If you wait too long to get to the bathroom -- because you "only decided" to go -- you'll mess in your pants. :lol:

Steps 4 through 9: is where you're ACTUALLY DOING what you decided to do in Step 3. If you don't do it SOON ENOUGH -- you're guaranteed to drink again -- and to drink is to die. :wink:

In Step 10: You get restored to "sanity" (the alcoholic mind is gone)... "one day at a time."

Until you get to Step 10... you're "just not drinking... one day at a time"... and you're still nuts... which means that you still have "no power" at all, you're screwed, and doomed to die an alcoholic death... because you can't manage on your own to "just not drink."

At Step 10, you're no longer nuts... and the alcohol problem has been removed. You're "not cured"... but you "no longer even think about drinking or not drinking"... what you're focus is at Step 10 is to "maintain your newly restored sanity".... by daily practicing & doing -- what you did from Step 1 through Step 9.

So... IF you're Step 1 is thorough & complete... how long do you suppose you'll drag your feet to get to Step 10... knowing that you're on borrowed time that WILL be shortly running out?

You're "alcoholic mind" will tell you -- "Oh! That's not me! I'm going to stay sober!" :lol: :lol: And, the next thing you know... out of the blue... without even thinking about drinking... you look in your hands, and what do you find? You discover that you've already started drinking again!

You have to DESIRE sobriety SO MUCH... that you become not just willing to go to any lengths... but you ACTUALLY DO go to any lengths... to stay sober... and "that means" taking ALL 12 Steps NOW.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks D Luv Ya

its AAAAAAMaaaaaazing !!!!!! how Dallas always knows what I have the need to read always right on time

THANK YOU GOD For Using D`s finger`s to speak to me :)
ccs

Postby sparklek » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 am

I agree. Thanks D. I need to be reminded how serious this disease is. I am grateful for the desperation I had when I was new because it made me willing. I am even more grateful that something change for me and that the obsession was removed. :) All the character defects I still struggle with at times are nothing compared to that obsession and where it led me and over again. Thank God for AA.
sparklek

Postby sunlight » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 am

Do you think it's necessary to take the steps with a sponsor?
sunlight

Postby Toast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Most definitely! :lol:

It was my best thinking that got me into AA in the 1st place, every brainwave i had someone got hurt, either emotionally, financially or physically. Now that my life is at stake i can’t afford to interpret the programme using my way of thinking because my experience tells me my way just doesn’t work. :shock:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:09 pm

No. I don't think it is necessary to take the Steps with a sponsor. Yes, in some cases it can be easier and more thorough -- but, that would depend on the sponsor. However, everything that is needed is in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. There have been many good sponsors that had no sponsor. And, there have been some great AA's -- that did much for AA all over the world -- that had no sponsor.

I know this will tick off some Orthodox AA's. :lol: :lol: But, don't we have a prerequisite for rigorous honesty?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm

btw: Yes. I do have a sponsor. And, I do believe in sponsorship. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Along that line, I have 2 sponsors! Both are wonderful and have helped me so much. One was my really close friend before I got sober. She got me to my first meeting and has been my emotional support so many times this past 8 months. She has given me so much wisdom about AA and staying sober. She has helped me with my Al-Anon issues too. BUT she lives over an hour away and I needed someone local to sit down with me on a weekly basis to do step work. Soooooo I got the second sponsor who is awesome as well. She gives me what I need too. This may not be orthodox but it's working for me. :)

Peacejoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Toast » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 pm

To get sober we must be rid of ego, doing the Steps your own way is an ego trip to beat all ego trips. :?

In the early days folks didnt have sponsors because they were the only ones in there area trying this new fangle AA thing. Now there's so much experience to draw on anyone would be a fool not to use it. Either that or still sick in the head. :wink:

When choosing a sponsor make sure they're living a life you would like to emulate, both inside and outside AA :lol:
Last edited by Toast on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toast

Postby Toast » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm

PS, the principle behind the 1st step is honesty. Many of us dont know the meaning of the word until we start sharing with someone who got well using the AA programme. :)

Saying that there are sponsors and there are sponsors. Had many great 1st step sponsors in my early days who would tell me about the 1st drink, a day at a time and get to plenty meetings. All well and good at the start but the time came when i needed more and thats when i had to find a sponsor who could share with me his experience on living the whole AA programme and not just a small part.

If you need a dollars worth of soberiety there's no point asking someone who's only got 50 cents :wink:
Toast

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober