- Methods of staying sober and working the 12 Steps

Methods of staying sober and working the 12 Steps

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Larry H. » Sun May 01, 2011 2:34 am

djmnyc wrote:Some people regularly go back and work steps 1-12 repeatedly. I don't read that into the Big Book. For me, steps 1-9 (especially 4-9) are a one shot deal, and then you live in steps 10-12.

Yes and no.

The God of my understanding developed a wonderful mechanism so that everything does not happen at once. It is called time. As an Alcoholic I found that my memory came back slowly, frequently through the aide of others. What has this to do with your statement, which I agree with by the way??

About 10 years sober I retired from the US Navy and went back to my family. I was sitting in my sister in law's home and I spotted a really bad stain on the otherwise beautiful living room rug and I asked how that happened.

her response was "don't you remember?" That in my experience is usually not followed by something good. It turns out that I had carried a drink into her house many years ago and spilled it on her carpet causing the stain.

It was obvious at that point that I had more step 9 work to be done. I have had other similar experiences and for a while I wondered if I would ever be finished with step 9 but it has been a long time now since I have had a memory jogger so maybe I am finished. Only God knows for sure.

Larry H
Larry H.

Postby Dallas » Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 am

Great point. I've had similar experiences with things of the past that showed me "yes, there's more work to be done."

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Sun May 01, 2011 6:28 am

HAhahahaha ... just like when I first came here over 2 years ago, I'm again jumping into topcs posted months and years ago.

They're still pertinent and poignant today. Just like this pertinent and poignant program started 75 years ago.

Poysonally, I don't get it. What's the problem? I agree with both. Don't have an argument against either, but for both. Maybe I just like to argue. 8)

I get that the AA program of recovery is everyone's, collectively and severally - the same program available to and effective for anyone who works it ... with "complete abandon". It's our program for all who have worked it and gather together for the common good and to pass it on to others. A solution on which we can agree.

I get the nuance that saying "my program" is an expresion of how completely committed the person is to the AA program ... his/her degree of reliance, hope, and trust in it.

Frankly, I think it's more of a spin on not "working other people's programs" for them and sticking to one's own side of the street. A real good reminder for me in the midst of some conversations. There are several other people I could say that about if I was working their programs. :wink:

Our disease is my disease. Your drinking doesn't bother me at all. My drinking screwed me over big time.

In step one, I owned my alcoholism. Mine. There was no difference between me and alcoholism. We are inseperable. I am an alcoholic. I say so in every meeting (I get to talk in). If alcohol was going to be licked, I was going to have to abandon myself completely to the AA program. I would have to OWN it like I do my disease, make it mine, make it me. To the degree I could do that and maintain it daily would be the degree of assurance that I would never drink again. A complete psycho/spiritual change. (Which is great cuz my mind was killin' me)

It only works if you work it. And, boy, does it work for me.

Well, I have to go practice some principles in some affairs between meetings today. If I was any good at it, I wouldn't need so much practice. :oops: Thank God for the AA program. I think I'll keep it today by giving it to somebody else.

Love y'all dearly,
Tim
tim-one

Postby tim-one » Sun May 01, 2011 6:32 am

PS:

It just amazes me that I see both attitudes work so well for so many. And not. "To thine own self be true." But know yourself through the AA program.
tim-one

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober