- Is anger or depression a problem for you?

Is anger or depression a problem for you?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Re: Is anger or depression a problem for you?

Postby Chuckster » Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 am

I would like to present my take on depression. Mine began when I was fourteen. I was knocked down hard and I had no idea what was happening as this was unheard of in my "family" and there was no speaking aloud of such things. This was long before alcohol became my solution. When I sobered up, it returned in full swing. I hid it, tried my best to work with my sponsor and absorb the solution, but I felt like I was still on the outside looking in, I still had something to hide. I finally crashed down, and an AA friend pointed out the paragraph or two in the family afterward that probably saved my life. " God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons". "God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist." This is a large piece of the solution. I sought out a fine doctor and I now take meds on a daily basis. If I don't I return to total insanity and am unable to accomplish anything, I am unable to even leave my house. I have 25 years sober, maintaining and growing in God is my number one goal. I can not agree with those who spout out the steps will work on anything. I believe that a lot of alcoholics die because of this important part of recovery being ignored or belittled. I almost did, wihout a drop of alcohol in me. Just sayin'......
Chuckster

Re: Is anger or depression a problem for you?

Postby Dallas » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks for sharing, Chuckster. And, welcome to the forum!

A lot of valuable information that you shared.
I believe that it's important that AA's not attempt to practice medicine or play doctor.

I've seen both sides. Where medications screw people up -- and where the medications were necessary and helped them.
Recovery is a personal thing. Heathcare is a personal thing.
The AA that I learned is: I share about MY personal experience -- not someone elses personal experiences.

I love a concept that Bill W. shared: "No AA can tell another AA what to do." :-)
We are to share "what WE did."

I drank. I got sober. I've stayed sober, with the help of AA, the Big Book, a Sponsor, the 12 Steps, and an experience w/ a Higher Power, that I call God. All of those tools have helped me learn how to live happy, joyous and free -- while sober. And, my Life today is better than anything that it was like before sobriety through those tools.

If I had a kidney infection and got medical treatment for it -- I don't think sharing about it would be of help to another alcoholic that is trying to recover from alcoholism through the 12 Steps.

Likewise, if I had depression or other mental conditions and sought professional help for it -- I don't think me sharing the details about it would be necessary to help another alcoholic to achieve & maintain sobriety.

I think I'd just use the same words from our Big Book that you mentioned above.

If someone else was having heartburn -- I wouldn't want to be the one that said "Oh. Just mix some baking soda in water & drink it!" And, then, they had a heart attack!

Same w/ depression. See a doctor! Get a second opinion from another doctor. While some of us have had our depression removed w/ spiritual tools -- some haven't. I'd hate like heck to be the one that told someone they shouldn't take medicine and later find out they committed suicide or lived a tormented life -- while sober.

Unfortunately, we both know that the problem does exist in the Fellowship -- where members are attempting to play doctor, or attempt to make others feel guilty or less-than, if they are doing or are not doing certain things -- especially in regards to medicine.

That's one of the reasons I appreciate you sharing your experience. Hopefully, it will be helpful to another alcoholic who may learn & benefit from you sharing your experience.

Thank you.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober