- Being Sober is Great

Being Sober is Great

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby DakotaTX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 am

Dallas, 14 Nov '86 ... you are an inspiration!

Sparklek, thank you for the welcome.

I am learning so much from this forum. And, it helps me during the wee, dark hours of winter to have sunshine coming from you through my computer screen.

Clarissa
DakotaTX

Postby dimples12562 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Sober today!!

I can look my girls in the eyes and see respect :D

If I get pulled over, no worries about bein hauled off to jail (just give me my ticket :roll: and yes I promise to slow down) lol :lol:

I fall asleep and I wake up!! No more blacking out an coming to :cry:

I can MAKE plans!! 8)

I can pay my bills :shock:

I have true, honest to God friends who love me!! 8)

I am not plotting to get something out of those friends!! :P

So much more but lunch is over and time to work!!

~P
dimples12562

Postby Camel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 pm

My tonque, or my fingers, cannot put into words the vast amount of gratitude I have for sobriety. So many things come to mind I couldn't even begin to mention them all. First and foremost, I thank God every day for Dr. Bob, and Bill Wilson, that's a given, but more so for the other Alcohoilcs that made a committment to sobriety, and carried this thing forward. Not just the ones back then, but the ones we have right now. If not for them, I would be dead.
God blessed, and continues to bless, Alcoholics Anonymous.

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 am

Just recently, (on a different website, for non-alcoholics) I posted three videos, of a Harvard Professor, giving a lecture on: "The Science of Happiness". They are officially teaching college level, graduate classes, in Universities like Harvard... "The Psychology of Happiness."

The Harvard Professor, in front of a huge audience, with Power Point presentations, etc., is demonstrating his research and scientific findings, on Happiness! :lol:

During his lecture, he's not only explaining the significant discoveries he's made -- by studying Happy People in comparison to studying Unhappy and Depressed People -- but, he's sharing some of his major scientific discoveries of "what they did" to be so happy.

One of the key elements that he shared was: A Gratitude List. And, he said, that if a person will just take the time -- to start their day with listing 5 things that they are grateful for -- in five days they will be feeling the impact. And, that if they do it for 21 days in a row -- the effects can be felt for six months! (Which is part of our Step 10).

Then, another element that the Professor teaches, that Happy People do, is: Prayer & Meditation. :lol: (Which his part of our Step 11).

Then, he goes on to explain -- the "Principle of Contribution" -- of how Happy People achieve fulfillment in their lives -- by contributing to the happiness of others! (Part of our Step 12?)

Just imagine -- how much happier all those college professors and students would be by now -- had they started studying "what we do in AA" -- many years, before now? :lol: :lol:

They'd have enough PhD's in the Science of Happiness... to have at least one... in every school in the world! :wink:

For those who have contempt for AA, the 12 Steps, the Big Book, and say "Oh! That's out-dated stuff!" it must not be so out-dated, if Harvard Professors are just now discovering what AA has been teaching since 1935. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Here here :lol:
Toast

Re: Being Sober is Great

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing, Keith.
My best wishes for you and your family!
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Being Sober is Great