- SOBRIETY CHECK IN

SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Re: SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Postby Frananne » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Happy sober Saturday night!

Went to the monthly birthday celebration at my home group tonight. Received my one year chip. I am very happy and grateful. Life is good.
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Congratulations, Frananne!!!! Happy Sober Birthday! That rocks!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jeannette B » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 am

This is the simple truth about recovery. It is a lifelong journey. I still practice it today but not in the same way I did in the first few years of my recovery. I have gone through a lot of phases. But in 2010 I realized that I felt less and less contentment in the AA program. Over the last several years I had fallen into a combination of tension, discontent, resentment, depression, compulsive eating, and an overall sense of meaninglessness. I had stopped practicing all the principles in all my affairs. The result was a complete reversal of momentum and a relapse into serious personal misery. I was failing to reap the benefits I had gained from the AA program.

I knew from past experience the answer was to return to the original, strong AA. Through prayer and doing my yearly inventory, I realized I needed to start over as if I was a newcomer. I needed to do what I did in the beginning of my program. I felt I needed to write out each step and ask myself the same questions and work as hard as I did then.
You see, I did not come to AA to stop drinking. I wanted to stay stopped and most of all become a different person. I wanted to learn how to become happy about not drinking. I wanted to get rid of loneliness, anger, depression and fear. I wanted to be able to hold my head up and go anywhere without feeling inadequate (not good enough).
When I heard “How It Works” read at my first meeting, I had hope. I heard that I couldn't fail if I was “willing to go to any length,” and to be honest and thorough. I was determined to do everything the program asked.
As it turns out, the men who wrote the Big Book were right after all. There is no easier, softer way. The extra work and commitment required by the full program approach pays enormous dividends. They make sobriety fun because they do not make sobriety an end in itself. Mere non-drinking is a very negative kind of life goal.

What it all boils down to - especially for us old-timers - is a willingness to continue practicing all the principles in all our affairs today. After years of sobriety I was doing what the Big Book says, “resting on your laurels”, or to put it simpler, just going through the motions of the program. I knew it was successful in long term continuous sobriety, but I had stopped working on myself. I stopped growing as a person and in my spiritual life. I stopped doing what I did way back when, in my first months and years of sobriety.

So I created a workshop for women in a local half-way house. (I have no intention of publishing it or to use my full name on it, I am afraid it would give me a big head, but I got what I set out to get.) The result of writing and sharing how I worked each step and tradition gave me what I was searching for, the joy and since of purpose I had the first 20 years in the AA program. Telling the story of my journey to other women has given me a new kind of joy, and I am back to growing as a person. In prayer, I came to the realization that by myself, I am nothing. But by asking my Higher Power to give me the answer to my misery, He guided my hands and mind to this work.

Many times when drinking I prayed that God would just kill me so the misery of living would end. I wanted to be anybody but me. AA helped me to become the person I always wanted to be. July 1 - 24 hour book - "Be grateful, humble, calm, and loving to all people. Leave each soul the better for having met or heard you. For all kinds of people this should be your attitude: a loving desire to help and an infectious spirit of calmness and trust in God."
Jeannette B

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you for sharing. And, welcome to the forum!

I understand. ;-)

I think the phase that you described is something that is common to most of us who have been around for a while. We start goofing off, and let go of the structure & discipline we were practicing in earlier years. Then, when we recognize it -- we get back into the 12 Step Groove -- and get straightened out. ;-)

Or, we don't become aware of it -- and we end up at the gates of insanity and/or death. I've been there, too. And, I sure don't want to ever go back to that again!

Best wishes.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:06 pm

Hello everyone! Wanted to let you know that the treatment I occasionally mention is complete and after just a week off the medicine I feel a lot better. We believe it was successful but will know for sure in August. Will be a few months before I am fully myself but my husband came downstairs earlier this week, noted the loud music and me puttering around doing stuff and said Fran is back!

Happy to be regaining my energy. I managed to continue with my one sponsee throughout treatment although could not meet with her as often as I would have liked. Happy that she finished the steps and is now a sponsor herself. The wheel goes round.

Looking forward to returning to correctional facilities work in a few weeks. Life is a bowl full of cherries today :)
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Good deal! Thanks for sharing and best wishes for a continued rapid & thorough recovery!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:07 pm

The board is totally quiet!!!

Happy sober Sunday! My home group answered Intergroup phones today and I volunteered for one shift. Do not really like talking on the phone but actually it was more about giving out meeting information so it was okay.

My husband are off to a state park for an overnight tonight. I am finally not house bound by recovery from the medical treatment. Happy days!

Life is good in TX.
Frananne

Postby wendyanne74 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 am

Hello Everyone! I have not been here in awhile and I don't know if anyone even remembers me. :) But I remember you all. I finally found the forum again, this time on my home computer so I will be able to stay in touch. I am going exploring to the other topics but first I wanted to stop by with my daily Sobriety check in. :lol: My name is Wendy and I am an alcoholic, on this rainy and dark Friday morning in South Louisiana, I am eternally grateful to My HP, all of you in AA, the AA program, my willingness and hearing other's experience, strength and hope that I can say I have two years, one month and nine days of sobriety. I am loving every minute minute of it! So many things have happened to drag me down, a lot of losses and betrayals, I allowed my giving spirit to put myself in jeopardy.
But I am here alive and loud, with a smile on my face, knowing that "It works if you work it" So glad to be back!!! :D
wendyanne74

Postby john boy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:44 am

Hi Wendyanne,

Good to hear sobriety is good and congratulations on your 2plus years. Aint it great to be sober.

best,
John
john boy

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 am

What a pleasant surprise! :-)

Congratulations Wendy! It's great to see you -- and to see you, too John Boy!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober