- What's important is how are you living today

What's important is how are you living today

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

What's important is how are you living today

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Camel wrote:What's important is how are you living today? What are you doing to get through a day, today, without taking a drink? Who, or what, gets the credit for that? That's all people like us want to know. Think about that before you speak next time. We come here to learn how to live sober.

Hub, just replied to one of my post with the above quote -- and I liked it so much, I thought it would make a good new topic for discussion! (Thanks, Hub!)

It's real easy for us alcoholics to get stuck in our sordid and morbid past.
The past is not important.
The past is not going to keep us sober.
The past is not going to be what makes our lives get better.

The most important thing is: "What am I doing now? And, HOW am I doing it?"

If I'm not doing something today -- that's at least a little bit different than I did yesterday, it won't be long until I've totally slipped into my past way of doing things -- and of living my life.

It's that constant, disciplined, consistent and persistent effort -- to move forward in Life, which will make the determining difference in my todays and my yesterdays of the future.

What am I doing differently TODAY? Not this week. Not lately. Not yesterday. TODAY.

How, am I doing it any different TODAY -- than I did it yesterday?

I learned that my changes do not have to be fast and dramatic. They just need to be tiny little incremental changes -- which over time, really make a difference in my life.

I had a pilot of an airplane tell me once (I'm not a pilot) that an airplane spends most of is time "off course". :-)

So, I ask him -- "If it's off course most of the time -- how the heck does it ever get to where it's going?"

He replied, "Because the pilot and the instruments spend most of their time & effort -- getting the plane back on course." Really?

I thought to myself -- that's almost like a metaphor of my life! LOL. I spend most of my time off course -- and most of my effort is spent on getting back on course. Tiny changes -- to keep me on course, that will eventually change my destiny and my landing place in life.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: What's important is how are you living today

Postby Toast » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 am

Hi, food for thought.

How we spend our days is how we spend our life.

If we spent all day sitting on the couch drunk shouting at the world that came into our living room via the TV and the only thing that’s changed is we’re now shouting at the TV without a drink in our hands then not a lots changed. We’re still sitting on the couch watching life pass us bye.

No wonder so many get bored and return to drink, they only stopped drinking and never started living.

Be well.
Toast

Postby sparklek » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:08 am

Thanks for this post, Dallas. I got a lot from it...all be it months later than you wrote it! Though no longer in the eye of the storm in Egypt or in a tumultuous relationship, the chaos can sometimes persist in my head. AA, the fellowship and the steps give me a constant way to get back on track whether what is off is my thinking or my behaving. I suppose it is growth that it is more and more about getting the thinking back in line and less about the behavior. All is quiet today and I feel very grateful for that. Thanks again for your persistent service here :)
sparklek

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Great to see you, Sparkle!
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober