- IS A.A. FOR YOU?

IS A.A. FOR YOU?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

IS A.A. FOR YOU?

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:42 pm

IS A.A. FOR YOU?

Only you can decide whether you want to give A.A. a try —
whether you think it can help you.

We who are in A.A. came because we finally gave up trying to control our drinking. We still hated to admit that we could never drink safely. Then we heard from other A.A. members that we were sick. (We thought so for years!) We found out that many people suffered from the same feelings of guilt and loneliness and hopelessness that we did. We found out that we had these feelings because we had the disease of alcoholism.

We decided to try and face up to what alcohol had done to us. Here are some of the questions we tried to answer honestly. If we answered YES to four or more questions, we were in deep trouble with our drinking. See how you do. Remember, there is no disgrace in facing up to the fact that you have a problem.

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1 - Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

Yes No

--------------------------

2 - Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.

Yes No

3 - Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.

Yes No

4 - Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking "socially."

Yes No

5 - Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?
At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

Yes No

6 - Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.

Yes No

7 - Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

Before we came into A.A., most of us said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.

Yes No

8 - Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?
Most of us used to have a "few" before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go some place else to get more.

Yes No

9 - Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?
Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A.A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.

Yes No

10 - Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?
Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were hung-over or on a drunk.

Yes No

---------------------------

11 - Do you have "blackouts"?

A "blackout" is when we have been drinking hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.

Yes No

12 - Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Yes No
Dallas
Site Admin

You Betcha, AA's for me!

Postby ediebee » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:18 am

Hi ya Dallas~

What a great topic, and one that seems timely for me. This month celebrates my 1 year of being sober. Up until a year ago I had been without a drink for 15 years!

I cannot relay to you the myriad of feelings that went through me a year ago when I relapsed. Despair comes readily to mind, as well as a true sense of falling back into a hole that up until then was closed. I was SO smug, I had been sober for 15 years without AA. True fear took hold of me as soon as the alcohol touched my lips, the ground opened up and back into the hole I traversed. I realized then that I desperately needed help (we won't go into how it took me six months to come through AA doors to get the help so desperately needed), but that realization was a most definite "wake up" call.

It's been quite the learning curve for me now that I am on the AA path. Learning, and I emphasize that word, to "let go and let God."

Not until I walked into the doors of AA had I any idea that I had a strangle-hold on life's happenings, and as a result was so miserable :cry: . We discussed the jay walker from the Big Book last night at a meeting, and I confess, I related all too well to the jay walker analogy. Without seeking help, there's no telling where my vast store of rationalizing alcohol could take me.
Confronting my alcoholism, acknowleding that yes, I am an alcoholic would not have happened had I not come to AA.

Granted, I have more than a hole to patch up since I've come through AA doors. The steps illustrate how I can start anew. I am SOOO grateful to my sponsor, the AA people I've met, and even the seemingly pet sayings so commonly used in AA for their affirming/healing qualities. Most importantly, I thank God for being where I am - and where I'm going.

God bless ya'll.

Ediebee
ediebee

Congratulations!

Postby Dallas » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:10 am

Congratulations on your year, ediebee!

Nice to hear from you! Appreciated what you shared!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:49 pm

edie, mucho congrats on a year... WTG.... nice, real nice :lol:

and Dallas, to your questioneer... i got a perfect score! :shock: ... ha!, one thing i did perfect :shock: ....

a blessed day to all...

xxoo, Rusty :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby anniemac » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:53 pm

I spent far too much time looking for areas in which I did not fit in to AA than in recognizing all of those areas where I was a perfect match for AA. I thought that if I didn't answer YES to the majority of these questions, then I was not an alcoholic. I thought that if I didn't fit, word for word, the description of the alcoholic in the BB, then I was not an alcoholic.

The problem with all of that thinking was that deep down inside, I knew I was (am) an alcoholic -- and felt such conflict when the literature "was telling me" that I was not...because I didn't do everything exactly as written. Talk about all or nothing thinking!

I still suffer from that all or nothing thinking, more often than I'd like to admit. However, the last question is reason enough for me to keep coming back.

Ediebee ~ congrats on your year!!
anniemac

Postby c0rnfl8kgrl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:25 pm

I know what you mean by "all or nothing" thinking. I battle with that constantly. There are many days that I want to say ___ it, I'm fine. I'm not like you guys. But deep down, I know my life would be better without it. My daughter's life would be a lot better without it. Then the "all or nothing" monster says, "so fix it and fix it now and don't screw it up!!! :twisted: " No pressure... :?
c0rnfl8kgrl

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:42 pm

:lol: :lol: I guess you're not too unique, nor are you alone! :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:41 am

cornflake, i too have to keep remind'n my self that i'm not Terminaly Unique! :shock:

xxoo, Z
Rusty Zipper

Postby wareagle10 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:35 am

I am now, and always have been, an alcoholic. I knew from the beginning even though I tried to tell myself I was just another party animal. Even when the party ended I kept trying to convince myself, not me!! But, I knew better. Yes me, I was, and am, an alley drunk.

I do know that I am not going to drink today and that I will practice the AA program to the best of MY ABILITY. It has worked for a lot of years, so I think I will do today what I did yesterday since it worked and I haven't had a drink so far today. I think I will probably do it again tomorrow.

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby Jackie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Hello I'm Jackie and an alcoholic:
I came to understand over the last three months that AA is what will save my life, give me life and teach me how to live life without alcohol.
It is not a quick fix. I attended meetings almost every day and slowly my reasoning and actions are starting to change, I still have little to say and I'm still very self concious about what I do share.
Dallas and MusicMode have been very supportive and I want to say THANK YOU!
Some family issues have come up that I managed not to even think of taking a drink over, it was a tough one but a meeting and some prayers got me thru it and for that I'm thankful. Yes I still hurt a lot when some one talks about me, but what they say about my drinking is true and I have to face the fact.
For me the peace of mind I have when "I" know I haven't had a drink in 3 months and the knowledge that I'm trying with all the people in the Rooms to change and be a better person.
I needed help for so many years and was to cowardly to seek help. Now I know that with AA I have a chance to be sober and live life as it should be lived.
Another 24 hours to you all.
Jackie

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober