- Reflections on something I just came by

Reflections on something I just came by

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Reflections on something I just came by

Postby cinderbobble » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:16 am

Thank you Dallas!

It's late, going to bed, but tomorrow I will make list of thing I will do. It will save me from feelings of isolation I think! Just like this board does :wink:

Hope you're all hanging in there! I AM!

Oh - that was from a previous post I will quote here:

"When I changed Sponsors, one of the first things my Sponsor had me start doing was to write a "Daily To Do List." It was my plan for the day... and I had to check in the next day... to talk about how well I did with my "To Do List". It started as a very simple list of things that I knew that I could accomplish. And, then... the list grew in complexity. And, then, I began to notice that I was feeling good about myself... and I was moving forward in my life making progress in the "other areas of my life."

From Dallas!
cinderbobble

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:32 am

As I was reading that... I didn't realize I was reading a quote of mine, and I was sitting here thinking "OMG! We must have the same sponsor!" :lol:

Yep. That Daily To Do List! I get lost and whacky without it. It became my basics of doing my daily 10th & 11th Steps out of the book. (Page 84-88 BB). Looking to see what I could pack into the stream of life... not just an inventory of what I was taking out of life.

During the last few days, my to do list had a lot of "starting two new AA meetings" related items.

Now, the ground work for that is finished, and we'll have two new AA meetings in my city, that will start on Monday and Wednesday of next week.

We were able to get a classroom in a fitness center to use for the meetings... and it's exciting walking into a fitness center, watching people working out... smelling the smell of a spa... and connecting the thoughts of "recovery and physical fitness" as a prelude to the meeting! Can't help but start the meetings with thoughts of recovering in mind, body and spirit.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cinderbobble » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm really into the fitness thing myself, health and fitness. Haphazardly, Isuppose, but I really need the exercise and nowadays, I pull out my old carrot juicer (I got a really great deal, a commercial powered one at a thrift store) and really crank it up! It is absolutely amazing at how much energy I have. Sometimes I get lazy, but it is really important that I get back to it. BTW - I've done my to-do list today, and have done at least three things on it already. (clean floor, pick up around house, and knitted). I have a really hard time sticking to the knitting thing, but that goes along with the stubbornness in following directions I suppose. But, I did at least 6 rows! That's progress. (I'm just making a scarf... taking my time, and using it for relaxation and meditation.)

Anyway, I was down for a few days, my work can be draining, and I sometimes confuse physical fatigue with mental stress! There is a difference and it is amazing what a good night's sleep can do for one. I used to have a sponsor who always asked me what I ate, and ( :oops: ) when I would get a phone. It took me a whole year to get a phone, because of my transient nature, a phone represented one more burden to me at that time! Nowadays can't live without it.

Yesterday, I submitted my final payment on my student loan. Yay! Now I have money coming in that is mine! MINE MINE MINE!! YIKES! :roll: :shock:

Anyhoo, have a nifty!!!
cinderbobble

Postby anniemac » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Making lists was extremely important to me in early sobriety. My thoughts swirled around in my head at such rates of speed that they took on a life of their own. Not that it still doesn't happen, but even more so early on. My sponsor taught me that by putting the thoughts down on paper, I can then rest my mind because I don't have to worry about losing track of my mental to-do list, and those thoughts can't continue to pick up steam and grow out of proportion once they are written down and kind of "solidified". The purpose wasn't necessarily to accomplish what was on the list, but just to stop my brain from running circles around me. :lol:
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 pm

That's one of the reasons that I continue to do my Daily To Do List. It keeps my brain from running in circles burning up energy that could be used for accomplishing more of the things I want in life. :wink: And, by including the things that I want in my life... on my Daily To Do List, it helps me keep my thoughts focused on what I want, rather than what I don't want.

It seems as though I automatically attract... just like a magnet... the things that I think about. So, the list helps me to keep attracting what I want to manifest.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lindylu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Jus been reading posts relating to early sobriety, 'making a list' is something I used to attempt even when drunk and the lists usually got lost as did I.

But a week into my sobriety a friend in AA rang me to ask how I was,
great I told her, I am trying to make a list for tomoro.
We chatted a while longer and discovered we had both been to Uni, my friend had a degree in 'Communications' which we thought funny as her big hangup was talking about herself !
Mine was in 'Organisation Studies' my friend became hysterical with laughter,
and I sort of laughed along with her.(not really gettin the irony!)
Later on as I was trying to get to sleep, I went over our conversation, and I remembered her words, 'well Linda with a degree like that you should be able to write a list. !
I nearly choked with laughing. The past seems to reach out and slap me in the face, but it also reaches into my soul and gives me so much that I can use to live again in sobriety.
Now, where did I put todays list? :lol:

lindylu

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Thanks, Linda! You're messages today seem to be just what I need to be reading! Imagine that! Who would have thunk it??? :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober