Any Chefs Here?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober
flea

Postby flea » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 am

I missed this topic somehow. I'm not a chef by any means but I love to cook. I was thinking a few years ago about again cooking with wine. One of my sponsors found the real information about alcohol "cooking out" At the time I was going through a divorce and my desire to cook with wine was likely more a product of that than any culinary need.

All The Alchohol Does NOT Evaporate!

I can't locate the link to the USDA study that actually tested for retained alchohol but the chart at this link agrees with what I saved as a wordpad document.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/ar ... ohol12.htm

Liz Scott's The Sober Kitchen is a pretty good cook book. I bought a few and gave them as gifts. This cookbook uses NO alcohol. I guess I'm a little anal about it but I don't use the vanilla extract (or any other) containing alcohol. I also read the Dijon-style (like grey poupon) mustard labels to find the very few without wine. After a while checking labels becomes second nature. They stick wine in things you don't think about.

I know of a few in the program who do eat dishes prepared with wine or other spirits and one that cooks with wine. That's between them and their sponsors. I can't do it.

You'll hear about "alcohol soluble flavors". OK, but if those flavors are there with alcohol. they will still be there without the booze. Tomato sauces are often mentioned as requiring wine to bring out those "alcohol soluble flavors" . I just took a quick look at Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Italian Cooking and didn't see one tomato sauce recipe that used wine. There might be one or two hidden in there but clearly wine isn't required.

A big problem with many restaurants is that they add alcohol at the very end of the cooking so very little evaporates. I know what's in most dishes but I do ask occasionally. I've also ordered dishes that do not normally contain alcohol that obviously did when they arrived. I sniff and send it back if there is any doubt. Anything with alcohol in it is not what I ordered. Restaurants will also tell you that all the booze cooks out leaving only the flavor.

That is patently wrong, but anyway, I really don't think I need that flavor either.

flea

dimples12562

Postby dimples12562 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 am

flea wrote:All The Alchohol Does NOT Evaporate!

I can't locate the link to the USDA study that actually tested for retained alchohol but the chart at this link agrees with what I saved as a wordpad document.

http://homecooking.about.com/library/ar ... ohol12.htm

flea

Greta info Flea!!! Thanks so much for sharing!! I passed your entire post on to my sponsor, thought she might like it. We all (Spons & all us pigeons) get together for a girls night of cooking eating and sharing :) Good info to share!!
~P

Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Yep!!! Thanks for passing that along flea! Good to see you!
You've been missed!

flea

Postby flea » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks Dallas. I drift through once in a while. But I don't often post anywhere.

flea

ermoe

Re: Any Chefs Here?

Postby ermoe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 am

This has been a great set of threads! I have been a professional chef for the last 20 years and have spent time teaching some culinary classes. I have always found that when a recipe calls for wine in it, there is usually a subtle but very distinguishable flavor profile that it adds. Sometimes it adds body or a richness to a sauce or just a kind of sugary "grapey-ness" (not sure if its a word as much as a flavor) to the dish. Booze is a whole other conversation when it comes to flavor especially in reduction sauces or desserts, some of which can not be made without it. I have found it an obstacle in my own sobriety to cook with it unless I am cooking entirely for others or when cooking for a larger party that I plan to eat with. The booze in the sauce (when cooked down properly) is not a trigger for me when it is not a dominant flavor in the dish, but that is in my case only. I do however avoid fruits macerated in liquor, bananas foster and the like where the the flavor is quite strong. My suggestion is to follow your instincts in this matter and know yourself. If you feel that it is something that may cause you to relapse, avoid using alcohol in all of your recipes. I love the fact that there is a recovery cookbook available and I will be looking into it to see what tricks it may have to give you the same flavors without the risk for my own personal cooking. Be aware though, our industry has a very high rate of active users of all kinds of substances. Most are really good people that just haven't gotten to the point of seeking recovery like we have, but the probability is quite high that you will encounter them. So, be ready for the experience, be strong and welcome to an exciting life in food service! Even after all of my personal trials, I love what I do.

E

Step 12
Site Admin

Postby Step 12 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey! We have a Chef in the house! Welcome to the site, E! Thank you for sharing and for your participation. I enjoyed reading your post.

Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forums. And, thanks for sharing.

I was recently reading an article about how our bodies manufacture alcohol.
An interesting read and now I can't remember exactly where it is. : -)
The article was talking about how some people's body can manufacture too much
alcohol and they actually appear drunk. I'll have to look it up and post it.
Anyhoot -- some DWI lawyers have been using "the condition" as a DWI defense.
(Smart lawyers -- never leave home without them! : - ) )

Return to “Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober”