- Potential Alcoholic vs Real Alcoholic?

Potential Alcoholic vs Real Alcoholic?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Tue May 08, 2007 10:25 pm

In the Doctor’s Opinion... there is a part that discusses classifications and types of alcoholics. There are at least five types – plus many other – that are referenced. I’m so glad that the type – “many othersâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Molly M. » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 pm

It's kind of funny. When I got sober I had massive withdrawal--definite physical and mental addiction; however, I still had trouble believing that I was an alcoholic--I mean how could I be an alcoholic? I just thought I needed to get my life together. Those thoughts are still with me if I'm not careful; a little voice telling me that all of YOU are alcoholics but I really don't belong here :roll: :oops: :roll:

All I have to do is compare myself to my husband, who is a normie, God Bless his soul. As a normie he never ever has the thoughts, questions, denial, mental conversations, confusions, or obsessions about whether or not he is an alcoholic. Nope never once entered his mind because alcohol holds absolutely no interest for him. He doesn't even notice if it's on the table or nearby. It's made me realize that, yup, YOU guys may or may not be alcoholics, but I DEFINITELY am.

Hugs,
Molly :lol: :lol:
Molly M.

Postby anniemac » Wed May 09, 2007 8:17 pm

"I would rather go through life sober,
believing I am an alcoholic,
than go through life drunk,
trying to convince myself that I am not."

Yup, our heads can sure do a number on us! :oops:
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks Anne -- that was your quote that I was trying to remember. :oops: This time, I'm going to write it down!!! :lol: I thought of all the times that it would be handy to have it... that maybe I should print up some little cards to have them ready to hand out!. :wink:

It's kind of interesting how the "physical withdrawal" thing worked for me. I got to thinking of this, after reading Paul and Molly's messages.

A couple of weeks before I landed in A.A. the first time -- I was having extreme withdrawal symptoms. Then, for some unknown-to-me reason -- after I got to an A.A. marathon meetings -- and the withdrawals didn't seem to be as bad. I'm not sure if it was because my mind was occupied trying to sort this AA thing out, that it left less time to think about me -- or, maybe I was still shaking really bad, and I just don't remember it. It was probably the later -- because I did have a ton of alcohol in my body when I got to the meetings -- and, as usually is true for me -- others are able to see me better than I'm able to see myself! :wink:

Perhaps, too -- it was my "alcoholic denial" that prevented me from seeing how badly I was shaking and feeling -- and I was using all that was within me, to make a good enough appearance to prove that I was not alcoholic!

Then, after I started drinking again and couldn't get sober the next time(s) I chose to get sober -- my physical symptoms grew worse.

After I did get my second chance at sobriety, I remember being told that within about three weeks the physical withdrawals would lighten up -- and, it seemed to take much longer than that for me. Of course, it might have been my head producing the symptoms more than it was my body that was producing the symptoms -- so, I still have no definitive information about my sobering up that I can totally rely on!!!

Getting sober again was the HARDEST thing I've ever been through in my whole life! That... I know for sure!!! I know that some people have a fear of drinking again -- and, the fear that I have, more than the fear of drinking again -- is the fear of going through what it was like to get sober!!! That's a fear that I haven't wanted God to remove from me! I think it's good for my health -- to remember how painful it was getting sober and the pain of getting sober again, is a memory that I have been able to access in every single AA meeting that I've attended, since getting sober. I want to remember "what I was like" -- so, that if ever tempted to turn back, or... during those times when my "willingness" seems to be waning -- it seems to work like a self-induced motivator to immediately consider my course of actions and to "get into me into the directions of right actions!"

It sure is nice to have all of you here -- in this forum, to share with, and to receive your shares! What a blessing and an opportunity and a privilege it is for me to be here with you! Thanks to all of you for the messages that you share -- that help me to keep going about and doing the things that lead me to still waters and greater peace of mind!

I appreciate all of you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jack M » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:30 pm

We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition.
From the Big Book page 31-32
Jack M

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks Jack!

I tried just that on several occassions.... and I finally did became convinced! I am alcoholic! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:02 pm

I love that quote Annie. "I would rather go through life sober, believing I am an alcoholic, than go through life drunk, trying to convince myself that I am not."
For the last 11 years I tried to figure out if I was an alcoholic or not, I did that by sitting in bars and comparing myself to the others. I don't drink like them, so there is no way I'm an Alcoholic, Damn they are in here every time I come in, at noon or midnight. :lol:
So for me that was the big clue. I have to agree with what I have read in here and what I have heard in meetings: If you have to ask yourself if you are then the answer maybe in the question and who really cares, if it hurts you or someone else to drink then stop, if you can't ( like I couldnt) get your happy ass to a meeting. For me I find it easier to find the answer in a meeting and not in a bar :wink:
Love you guys and thank you all for being here for ME.
DebbieV

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:16 pm

To be or not to be.... :twisted:

Real or potential? Hmmm...if I am a "potential alcoholic", then...potentially...I am an alcoholic.

When the thought occurs that my head is leading me to ask such questions as: I wonder if I really am?; or, Maybe I could have just one? Y/N? Then, I replay the past, just a little...could I ever stop at just one? How many times did I wonder before, always to come back and drink even more than I did before, unable to stop; unable to distinguish what was real and what was not; the volcanic mess that lie scattered all around me; looking in a mirror, only to glance quickly cuz I couldn't stand any further. Potential? Sure, at one time...but potential only led to certainty, and that's a fact.

Keep it simple,
Annd
musicmode

Postby musicmode » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:18 pm

Yip...and today's one-a those days where I can't even spell my name right :oops: , but that's okay...progression, not perfection :wink:

Try again...

Keep in simple,
Anne :lol:
musicmode

Postby DebbieV » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:40 am

I was having a little trouble with this myself and I sat down and wrote what I was doing at the age of 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 etc.. and every year there was one or more things that happpen as a result of my drinking that got me in trouble: kicked out of: houses, bars, college, friends places and put into: jail, rehab, nut-house. That is all it took for this hard head of mine to stop fighting what I already knew and didnt want to admit, I am a full blown, real, not trouble drinking, alcoholic and thank God for it, it makes my life a lot easier to understand, and as they say, there is a solution and I never found one on a bar stool :wink:

My life is happy, joyous and free today, and I can without question say " Hi I'm Debbie and I'm a greatful recovering alcholic" ( and for me I plan on changing that to recovered at some point in my progam.
" but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest." page 58 in BB)
Thats just my opion for what it is worth. Thanks for letting me share.
Deb
DebbieV

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober