- I feel like I'm on a diet!!!

I feel like I'm on a diet!!!

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

I feel like I'm on a diet!!!

Postby jennie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 am

Please don't think that I'm being condescending in any way...I just feel like the Pringle (once you pop, you can't stop), is being replaced by the beer..that would lead to the same thing.

I'm hopeful that 21 days of not drinking will create the 'habit' they claim happens after that period of time.

I kept busy tonight, and got out with the kids, and my girlfriend and her daughter.

It's tougher without my hubby home (working afternoons), this is always a weak time for me.

So, looks like I made it through day 3. Here's looking at being here same time tomorrow, with the same comment.
jennie

Postby Marley » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:02 pm

Jennie,

Don't get caught up in counting days; even though 21 is awesome!!!

A couple of old timers told me once that the person with the most seniority in AA is the person who got up the earliest that morning. I know how you feel I wanted everything at once. I wanted the peace I saw in people who had been around a while. Be patient it will happen.

One day at a time. You will be amazed at how fast those days turn into years. Just don't drink today, worry about tommorrow when it comes.

God Bless,
Marley
Marley

Postby ElectronicDan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:15 am

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not.
They are being fulfilled among us- sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
They will always materialize if we work for them.

-- Alcoholics Anonymous, (the "Big Book") pages 83-84

For me, the promises always rush in that overwhelming feeling of excitement that there is a solution out there for this (once) hopeless alcoholic.

Keep it up! One day at a time! One moment at a time!

I'm a newcomer as well and it was so exciting 'catching that AA buzz' as Earl H. would put it. Everyday I wake up sober is another day I can be grateful for. Never forget where you are right now!
ElectronicDan

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:09 am

I must be a slow learner. :oops:

It nearly killed me discovering that a diet approach to my alcoholism -- would always end in failure.

Now, had I just been a hard drinker -- who was trying to get off the booze -- and, staying off the booze -- one day at a time -- for a while -- I, too, could have probably just quit drinking. I wouldn't need to try A.A.'s way. I wouldn't need a Power greater than myself. I wouldn't need the 12 Steps or A.A. meetings. I could have just white-knuckled it and went on the water wagon. I could have done like many other non-alcoholic hard drinkers -- and just took care of it on my own.

My greatest discovery -- was when I discovered I was actually alcoholic and not just a hard drinker. And, the fact that I had became alcoholic... meant that I had to find a way to stop drinking forever -- and I needed to find a way that works -- so that I could stop drinking -- forever. :wink:

I tend to be overly sensitive :oops: To end it all in an alcoholic death -- wasn't pleasant to think about. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober