- Too late for AA?

Too late for AA?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Too late for AA?

Postby love1378 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:06 am

I am early in my sobriety and have been averaging 1 meeting a day for 52 days now. However I have started back to work and, much to my dismay, found that the 10:00 meeting has been cancelled-i guess. The parking lot was empty. I need to share about my day, and where I am in my sobriety-anyone want to have a meeting?
love1378

Sharing

Postby love1378 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:24 am

My name is dale and I am an alcoholic/addict. Since I need to share I will do so and hope that it brings strength and hope to just one person...First I would like to thank my higher power for another day of sobriety. It has been a dificult week for me as I have found myself slipping back into some of my alcoholic ways. Whether it be sleeping in or thinking that it is okay to miss a meeting-I always try to justify, this is my old way of thinking.....the kind of thinking that will get me drunk for sure. I have to make a concious effort to speak to my higher power, use his strength, and live day to day. I have found this program to be more than a "quit using, fix it" kind of thing. It is a way of life that I must practice in all of my affairs. Today I have emotions that I have always masked. Some good, some scary! But I do have a peace today knowing that I am doing the right thing-I have to reassure myself daily that I NEVER HAVE TO DRINK OR USE EVER AGAIN!!:)Thanks for letting me share
love1378

Welcome Dale!

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:58 am

Welcome to the site Dale! Glad you're here! Thanks for posting your message. I'm always up for a meeting! :wink:

Also, welcome to Alcoholics Anonymous! Wherever two of us a gathered for the purpose of recovery... we can call ourselves a group! :lol: Me and You! Tonight!

I always consider it a positive and a welcome sign --- when I recognize and become aware that I might be slacking up on what I'm doing that's keeping me sober.

When I first came into A.A., I thought the only thing there was to it, was go to meetings and just don't drink. I thought that the only thing I had to do outside A.A. was not drink... I really did think I had the power, on my own... to not take the first drink! I was surprized to find myself drinking again after using all my own power to stay stopped.

When I discovered myself in a situation where it was impossible for me to stop drinking again -- that was when I discovered that it was other simple actions -- outside the meetings -- that I needed to be taking -- so that I could stay sober.

Just before I logged on and read your message -- I had been reading some of Chapter 4, in the Big Book -- page 50, starting at paragraph 3, and then paragraph 4. I just love reading Chapter 4, over and over again. I get so much out of it every time I read it.

In paragraph 3, the words seem to jump out at me -- "gained access to"... and in paragraph 4, it was "Here are thousands of men and women, worldly indeed. They flatly declare that since they have come to believe in a Power greater than themselves, -- to take a certain attitude towards that Power -- -- -- and to do certain simple things -- -- -- there has been a revolutionary change in their way of living -- and thinking. In the face of collapse and despair -- in the face of the total failure of their human resources -- -- they found a new power, peace, happines -- and -- sense of direction -- flowed into them. -- -- This happened soon after -- they wholeheartedly met a few simple requirements."

It's so true! We never, ever, have to drink or use again ... provided that we do certain simple things -- that will produce a revolutionary change in our attitudes, our way of living -- and our thinking!

Glad you dropped by Dale! Thanks for the company! :wink: I hope you have a great night tonight and a greater day tomorrow!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby catsup » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:45 pm

hi Dale. i want to welcome you too. i like this site because i can come to it any time, day or night.

i, too, am in early sobriety and living a day at a time. i am not going to meetings yet. this site is it for me. i was sober once for several years and then relapsed for several years. i came back to A.A. two weeks ago.
i know that i will eventually attend real meetings. my willingness is growing.

are you getting to any meetins at all? i'm sorry the one you relied upon
stopped happening. but you did get on your puter and search for help.
and Dallas replied with some good, solid words.

well, i just want to welcome you and say You Are Not Alone. :)catsup
catsup

Postby anniemac » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Hey Dale ~ welcome! Wow, a meeting at 10 PM on a Sunday night? Yikes, I was in bed at 8 PM last night! :oops: That's a big change from my stay-up-all-night days, that's for sure.

My experience has been that the more I talk to that HP of mine, and maintain conscious contact, the less frequently I slip back in to my old ways. It does take a continued effort, but the results are worth it.

I hope you're able to find some meetings that fit your new schedule.
anniemac

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober