- First Things First ....

First Things First ....

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

First Things First ....

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:08 pm

First Things First....

When I was newly sober I used to have a sticker on the dashboard of my car that read “First Things First.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:04 pm

First Things First is a wonderful reminder for my all-over-the-place mind. I can get so far ahead of myself without even realizing it. To me, First Things First goes along well with Keep Your Head Where Your Feet Are, and Do The Next Right Thing...although of course those two are not official AA slogans. What they all say to me is to stop and breathe and reassess...very helpful for my mile-a-minute thinking.
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Keep Your Head Where Your Feet Are, and Do The Next Right Thing

Those are great! Is there anything that we say...., official? :lol:

I can't remember if it was a quote from Bill W., or Dr. Bob (maybe neither of them... and/or maybe someone will look it up for us... ) that said, something like "We prayed to whatever God that we thought there was and we read anything that we thought would help us!" (Perhaps, it was a quote in A.A. Comes of Age, Dr. Bob & the Good Oldtimers, or Pass It On).

Thanks anniemac! It's always a treasure to hear from you!

Dallas

BTW: Unofficially: It seems that I recall Bill, also saying it in one of his recorded talks on the history of the Big Big. :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Dallas,

Postby Powerless Dee » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:20 pm

If I may ask, how many years do you have?

Dee
Powerless Dee

re Dallas

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:04 pm

I guess since the subject line read "Dallas" -- you were asking me? :lol:

My sobriety date is November 14th, 1986 -- 2:37 p.m. Yep!!! And, I do count the days, the hours and the minutes! :lol: And, if I would have known that I was going to spill that last drink -- and, if I had known it was going to be my last drink -- I would have had two!!! :wink:

Dallas

BTW: "Sobriety Date" for me... is: Continuous. (No days off or in-betweens) No alcohol, no pills, no powders, no pot, or any of the other stuff! :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Wow, 1986!

Postby Powerless Dee » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Man, Dallas, that's so great. You are a testament that it CAN be done. I have so little faith in myself sometimes. You know my VERY FIRST meeting was in Hollywood, CA. It was a rowdy group, but I didn't know any different from group to group. Anyway, I walk into this room full of people and they are arguing back and forth, yelling across the room at each other. The leader gets up to the podium and he is obviously furious. He says into the microphone, "this is a load of bullsh*t. The old timers can just go f*ck themselves. She deserves to maintain her position as secretary." Apparently, the secretary had suffered a *slip* the night before and there was a group consensus going on as to whether or not she should be booted out. The speaker asked that a vote be taken, but the old timers refused and instead read the rules from a book that if anybody has less than 6 months, they cannot maintain any type of leader position. The speaker got so mad, he said, "I've had it with this sh*t! I'm leaving." he took three steps toward the door, then said "NO!" He turned around, grabbed the wooden podium, swung it a couple of times side to side for momentum, then let it go so that it smashed against the wall, splintering into a million pieces. What I remember most is the feedback screaming from the microphone as it went hurtling across the room! Quite the chuckle.

Well, I thought, "wow, this is great entertainment. I will definitely come back." The area was very rough, though and I didn't want to go alone, so I found another one. That's when my entertainment expectations were smashed! That was the only meeting that would ever be so "active."
Powerless Dee

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:41 am

Hey Powerless Dee!!!

Thank you!!!

I'm still alcoholic -- I'm still Powerless. I'm Powerless Dallas!!! :lol: :lol:

I've discovered a Power greater than myself, through the 12 Steps that will keep me sober -- if I do the Step-work.... and continue to do the Step-work.

You wrote "I have so little faith in myself sometimes."

That's good!!!

I have zero faith in myself! :lol:

My faith is in a God of my understanding, and in the program of recovery -- that's in the book, "Alcoholics Anonymous." -- It works.... and, I do have to work it every day.

It will work just as good for you -- as it has worked for me -- and, countless others!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Amy S » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:42 pm

Hey Dallas, what does First Things First actually mean? My mind is pretty cloudy so simple things seem difficult to understand. I feel like I should know what this means but for some reason I don't.
Amy S

Postby Dallas » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:05 am

Hey Amy,

"First Things First"
Dallas wrote: It would remind me that I could not even have one drink, no matter what!

When I got sober I didn't get sober to be sober for 24 hours -- or one-day-at-a-time. I wanted to stop drinking for good and for all, I wanted to quit drinking forever -- and, I was willing to go to any length to do it -- even if staying sober and not drinking killed me.

I'm alcoholic. I'll be alcoholic till the day I die. I don't have to drink again. So... first things first... for me, is not to drink.... even if it kills me to not drink. :lol:

Guess what I learned? Not drinking CAN KILL ME just as fast (or faster) than drinking can kill me -- "IF" I fail to treat my alcoholism. And, "IF" I treat my alcoholism -- I never have to drink again.

The first time I came to A.A. I stayed sober for 5 1/2 months... going to two and three meetings a day... and I didn't even know that A.A. actually had a treatment for alcoholism!!!! So, I did what untreated alcoholic A.A. members do --I went to A.A. meetings until I got drunk again! Go figure that one out! :lol: :lol:

Even when I got sober this time -- I didn't know it was possible to treat my alcoholism -- because I didn't know that there was a treatment for my alcoholism. I just figured I would be miserable and depressed and bored and sober in A.A. until not drinking killed me! :lol: :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

First Things First

Postby musicmode » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:35 pm

G'day all,

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

That alone is 'first things first'. That's the bottom line, the be-all to end all. After a stretch of time in AA ### ####, my mind was indeed so cloudy and merky, I didn't know what any of the stuff others were talking about...steps? (There were a set of stairs outside the room, :? , like...huh? :? ), traditions? Serenity? For that matter, sanity...that one was laughable, something completely outside my comprehension capability. There was one thing, though, that I knew for sure...I'm an alcoholic. At least, that much, I 'got'. I was told that the rest would all fall into place and make sense--so long as I kept coming around. I was told that things that I heard today (as in that day), may not make sense to me now, and they may not for a long time...but, there would come a day, might be days, weeks, even years (if I kept coming around), I'll hear something else, possibly at a different meeting, or something will occur in my day to day stuff, and...it'll hit me... :idea: , like, "O-oooh!! :idea: That's what that person meant/was trying to say :idea: ". Also, the "full understanding" I gain today...tomorrow, it may mean something completely different, and I'll feel somewhat foolish at thinking...(yes, thinking) I had it all figured out yesterday :oops: . That's where the word growth comes into play.

Sometimes we grow in leaps and bounds, sometimes it's baby-steps...which ever way the cookie crumbles (for me), first things first has allowed me to now be able to look behind me and say, wow :idea: Me...sober, how about that. Look at what all's been removed, look at what all's been gained...and all I had to do is keep in mind one thing, my name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic...that's first. Remember what got me here (my "best" thinking), and the garbage that was scattered in the wake of it all.

Something that took my breath away was, in fact, realizing that, maybe I don't have a whole lotta faith in myself (my 'self'...again, is what got me here)...but...learning that...again, wow...learning that no matter how much/little faith I have in myself, that's okay, too...cuz there are others out there who do have faith in me, as a person. It takes another person to step up, and out of the blue, too...to come up and say, "here's a little piece of your life back, you've earned it." I had become involved, in sobriety, in a subsidiary role with the local police--in a good way...it was a good job, still though, no matter how good, or how much I valued it, still, I went a screwed it all up. About a year and a half later, one of the officers invited me back in to one of the volunteer programs I'd become involved with. I was stunned :shock: . The point, somebody else had more faith in me than I did, which taught me to, in fact, to not be so hard on myself--to take it easy. Sometimes we have to be shown, somehow, that we're not as bad as what we make ourselves believe--about ourselves. Spiritual progression, not spiritual perfection.

Easy Does It :wink:
Anne
musicmode

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober