- Holly Alcoholic

Holly Alcoholic

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Holly Alcoholic

Postby HollyR » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 am

hey everybody my name is holly and im an alcoholic i have been coming around the rooms for almost 3 years..my sobriety date is january 21 2005. i want to let the young girls in the program know that i got sober when i was 16. i am now 19 and to give ya'll a lil encouragement it is possible to get sober and stay sober working the 12 steps with a SPONSOR!. we cant do this by ourselves!

it works if you work it!
-holly-
HollyR

Postby carol1017 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Holly,

Wow -- 3 years of sobriety at 19 -- that is AWESOME!!! You have a wonderful opportunity to reach out to other young alcoholics and prove that that a book and program developed 70 years ago is still meaningful in today's society.

I look forward to hearing more from you.
carol1017

Postby HollyR » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:50 pm

i am actually now an adolecent alcohol and drug counselor at a large treatment center here in louisville kentucky. my life has definitly changed drasticly since ive been sober but i definitly couldn't have done this alone.
HollyR

Postby anniemac » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi Holly,

Wow, you sound like an amazing young woman to me! Congratulations on 3 years, and for reaching out and helping others both in your AA and your professional lives. I love to see young people succeed in AA; there's such hope in seeing someone young with the rest of their sober lives ahead of them.

Glad to have you here!

Anne
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:20 pm

Hello Holly and welcome to the site!!!

Glad to have you with us!!

It's got to be great to have a job like yours!

I got sober out in Southern California, and I had the opportunity to be active in our H & I (Hospitals & Institutions) work. I had an H & I commitment for one day each week at adolescent treatment centers and adolescent psychiatric facilities. It was the greatest day of each week! I felt like it was one of the most rewarding things that I've ever done.

We don't have an H & I where I live now, but we do have a young people's treatment center that brings their clients for two A.A. meetings each week. It's always exciting to see them and to share and to listen to them share.

A lot of people are not aware -- that there are real live alcoholics out there -- that are as young as ten years old. One of my friends out in California, got sober in A.A. when she was just 13 years old, drinking and running the streets of Venice Beach. Now -- she has 30 something years sober, college degrees, kids, family, professional career -- a really important job -- and she still stays very active in A.A.

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby pglock45 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi Holly . All I can say is WOW! Yor journey is both admireable and an inspiration. I am at work now and probably should'nt be using the computer for personal use. However I have to tell you that last night at my meeting our topic was "the apple does'nt fall far from the tree".
I have a 15 year old son who I love dearly. To my knowledge, only to my knowledge , because he lives with his mom and I see him 3 days a week,he hasn't "experimented with alcohol and other drugs YET.
I see him however exhibiting some of my old personality traits when I was his age. Man, I'm a little concerned. Maybe due to your youth and current occupation you could give me some hints as to watch for or warning signs I might want to be vigilant about . I haven't been his age for several years. Actually, now that I'm on a rant , Any friends on the site who might be willing to bless me with some wisdom would be appreciated. Welcome to the site Holly .... Pat Alcoholic
pglock45

Postby garden variety » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Holly and welcome,

My sponsor's wife has a girl that she sponsors who was almost 17 when she got sober. She's been sober now for 8 years, has a nice home in the burbs, is married to a guy in the fellowship, has two little toehead girls with another child on the way.

I don't know if you want all the kids and such, but there is a good life ahead of you. And I would certainly believe that you were alcoholic at a very young age because I heard this girl's story.

Thanks for helping me today!
garden variety

Postby anniemac » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi Pat,

I have a daughter who's 15 and I see some behaviors that could be considered the "ISM's". I've learned that when I am looking for "warning signs" I see them and when I'm not looking, I don't see them. And what I mean by that, is everything depends on my perception. I can subconsciously manufacture warning signs. And even if they were there, really, what power do I have to stop my daughter? Yes, I can know who she's with and where she's going; I can be in touch with other parents, I can be aware, but ultimately I can't stop her from drinking -- and likely, the more I would try to, the more she would go ahead and do it anyway.

What I do, is I live by example, we "talk recovery" in my house, and I keep the lines of communication open, so if and when my daughter experiments with alcohol, I can be there for her.
anniemac

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober