- What Routines Did You Change in Early Sobriety?

What Routines Did You Change in Early Sobriety?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby littlemiss » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing Amy...

PTL! I'm on Day 7!!!!!! :shock: :D

AND, the CLASSIC DREAM-THING happened to me last night! I dreamed I was celebrating an anniversary w/ my H. in a hotel...& as per usual, we had a bottle of champagne...I dreamed we didn't open the champagne...I said I wanted to--he said no, he wanted to get busy...LOL!

We then had "marital relations" (hee!) & then afterwards I SAW the empty bottle & used glasses...& knew we drank (even though I didn't remember doing it)...

AND I was devestated...thinking No!...I have 7 Days sobriety!!! This can't BE...
And then I woke up w/ a hang-over-y headache--kid yopu not! I woke up to this bad dream!!!!

I swear, ya just can't make this stuff up!
Am just happy to BE sOBER today...& in fact, I've been dreaming A LOT about drinking...
littlemiss

Postby Dallas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks for sharing, Amy. I remember hearing those same suggestions early in sobriety out in Southern California! I swear! Those sponsors must have had some sort of invisible telephone that they use to talk to each other!!! :lol:

I also remember, when I was newly sober, of thinking "Where do those A.A.'s come up with these corn-ball suggestions!!!" (Until I saw how difficult it was to do them!!! ) :oops:

One of the things that I had to change was "sitting around thinking about things." :lol: I would think, and think, and think, and think, and think, and think.... I spent so much time thinking it left very little time to take any actions. And, thinking made me so tired and exhausted I didn't feel like taking actions.

I remember one AA suggesting to me "Dallas, could start taking an action on following one of these suggestions -- each time you start thinking?" My reply? "Well. I think I can. Let me think about it and get back with you!" :lol:

Have you ever tried taking an action on a suggestion -- each time you start thinking? It's not easy if you have a head like mine!!! It takes a lot of work and a lot of discipline just to try it!

I can also remember when my thinking could get in the way of making it to meetings. It can still do that, today, if I'm not continuously watching it!

Thinking. That has been one of the biggest problems that I've had to face and had to change. I needed to think less and do more. And, I still do!!! :lol:

Littlemiss, congrats on your 7 days!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Progress, Yes? First Things First!

Postby littlemiss » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:58 pm

This morning I needed to do 2 Things before I got my day going (after prayer):

1. dye my hair!
2. Git my arse on the exercise bike!

SO, I asked myself which ONE would help my sobriety best?

YES, I got on the bike instead! YAY ME!
littlemiss

Re: What Routines Did You Change in Early Sobriety?

Postby Vickie V » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:06 am

"What sort of things did you need to change in early sobriety?" What practical things helped you (aside of A.A. meetings & sponsors & phone calls & not drinking...)" And how did you handle holidays--the firsts--did you tell your family/co-workers?"

WOW littlemiss ~ Good! questions and alot of great responses ~ to get me off my butt I am not early in sobriety.
My story was this ~
I was blessed to of been in an aftercare treatment program early in sobriety so I began learning "chores" and "writing".
When I left aftercare against medical advice ;without having a plan for recovery. I got home and was like holly crap :Now what? My head was spinning.
As mentioned ; Prayer and Action : meetings ,sponsor,steps etc... saved my life yet there were other suddel changes that I was taking.
Each sober day I put one foot in front of the other and was beginning to cleanout rooms in my house. I went through my closet,cleaned out my cubbards etc,changed some towel colors in my bathroom and began to take some pride in my home.

Of course I talked on the phone to people in the program endlessly to get through each day.Yet with hope in sobriety my home started to look brighter as well as my insides. I also learne dto journal at night.
Now a days I journal in the morning and at night yet I started out in the evening.

your other questions about "how did you handle holidays--the firsts--did you tell your family/co-workers?"

I didn't have a job so co workers were not an issue until I had to get responsable at about 9 months sober and get a job.

But my family was a different story. I had the holidays at my home and no alcohol was welcomed. Unsure if this is right or wrong for you yet my first year sober this is what I did.
I come from a family of active alcoholisim and my sobriety had to come first so I told all of my family members and made it clear I could not be around alcohol at that time.

I was fortunate; a had few family members who came and supported me and my first sober holidays were small and meaningful. I lalso lived in a city where I had an opportunity to go to a meeting every night.

I wouldn't change my story for anything becasue through the grace of God I have managed to maintain continuous sobriety since 1993.

However I do know a with a sponsor's guidance and that everyone has their own story for adjusting to Sober living and dealing with the holidays.
God Bless and Welcome to the best life on earth!
Vickie V

sorry for all the typos-

Postby Vickie V » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:35 am

sorry for all the typos- I was in a hurry to take a shower because my water was being shut off to install a water softener. God bless
Vickie V

Postby garden variety » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:58 am

Real nice share Vicki - thank you for helping me today!

I can so much relate to your "cleaning house" both on the inside and outside. Gosh that is so similar to what I did and continue to do. You cleaned your house probably one room at a time which is what I'm doing. My house is still a "work in progress", but just like you said, each day it seems "brighter" and I feel better about myself when my surroundings get made beautiful.

I know this isn't much of a "guy thing" to be talking about, and as you probably already can guess, I learned this "living beautifully" thing from a woman. Early in my sobriety my momma gave me this book "How to Live a Beautiful Life" that was written by a lady (can't remember her name or where the book is now). I was bored and miserable and didn't have anything better to do, so I read that book. But as I was reading it, a miracle happened. It motivated me to get out of the chair, throw away the new TV set that I just pounded the crap out of with a claw hammer that had been sitting in front of me for weeks, and start taking actions that began to make my life better.

That is really nice you brought that up. I guess you could call me a "man after your own heart" because I'm in total agreement with what you said about how taking pride in my house helped a whole lot in early recovery.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Vicki V wrote:I was in a hurry to take a shower because my water was being shut off to install a water softener

Now, there is a change that could have been brought about by recovery! :lol:

Water being shut off to install a water softener -- instead of being shut off because:
1. The bill wasn't paid.
2. The neighbor caught us stealing water from him/her (because our water was already cut off) .
3. We ran away!

:lol: :lol:

Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober