- Want to see the brain damage by alcoholism?

Want to see the brain damage by alcoholism?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Want to see the brain damage by alcoholism?

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Brain Regions Impaired by Alcoholism Identified

By fMRI Studies in Young Adult, Female Alcoholics

(Pictures below)

Specific areas of the brain impaired by years of heavy drinking have been identified in young adult women by researchers at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine and the Veterans Affairs Health Care System, San Diego. Previously, investigators have relied on thinking and memory tests to gauge brain dysfunction in alcoholics, but no one had identified the actual brain sites where impairment occurs in young adults.

Published in the February issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, the study utilized sophisticated brain scans called functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). The research was headed by Susan F. Tapert, Ph.D., UCSD assistant adjunct professor of psychiatry and a clinical psychologist at the Veterans Affairs Health Care System, who notes that “our findings suggest that even young and physically healthy individuals risk damaging their brains through chronic, heavy use of alcohol.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Danni » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:16 pm

Thank you for sharing this Dallas

Love & big hugs to you!

Danni
Danni

Physiological effects of alcohol abuse

Postby Lou » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:44 am

Dallas,
This is awesome. So let me see if I have this right. The brain of an alcoholic, specifically those areas related to memory, does not function as normal. So with all the modern technology we have visual proof that what Bill W. wrote in 1939 was correct. Our brains are damaged in a way that prevents us from remembering the consequences of our drinking. As we hear in meetings we have a built in forgetter.

That explains a lot. When I was not drinking, after 8 years, I forgot how miserable and unmanageable my life was. Therefore I drank again, with predictable results(misery AND UNMANAGEABILITY, which ultimately would have lead to DEATH[after slowly losing everything of value in my life]). That's why working the 12 steps, incorporating the 12 steps into all aspects of our life and continuing to go to meetings is so vital to our continuing recovery. A new life built on a spiritual basis, not on self-will, and new patterns of behavior developed through working the steps, going to meetings, and a ton of help from God as each understands him have helped millions of people overcome the built in forgetter.

I am so greatful and relieved not to have to battle this disease on my own anymore.
Lou

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 am

With humility...this is extremely sobering :|

Anne
musicmode

Postby garden variety » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:16 pm

This is great research. Thanks Dallas for putting your heart into helping all of us.
garden variety

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober