- No, I'm not a drunk... thank you very much!

No, I'm not a drunk... thank you very much!

Sobriety quotes and sayings heard in Meetings

No, I'm not a drunk... thank you very much!

Postby norohs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:12 am

I hear it almost weekly in my home group - "...a bunch of drunks".

It's usually said in a light-hearted way, like "Where else but with a bunch of drunks..." or "We're all a bunch of drunks..." or "I'm (or you're) just a drunk...".

To say that I am, you are or we are 'drunks' causes me to recoil a bit. Thanks to the 12 Step program of AA, I am a recovered alcoholic... not a drunk. I have found what is stated in the BB on one of the first pages to be true for me and many I know in AA:

"The story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism"

I'm not a drunk today. I've been restored to sanity. If I were to consider myself a 'drunk' I'd be denying the gift of sobriety given to me by my Higher Power. I choose to move forward, today, in the light of this gift.

I am not now a drunk. I am and always will be an alcoholic. I choose to separate the terms 'drunk' and 'alcoholic'. I choose to recognize this gift of sobriety as having come from my Higher Power and treat it as such.

(as general statement to those who use it in the broad sense of describing AA members)... Please stop referring to us recovered alcoholics as drunks.... thank you very much! :wink:
norohs

Return to Quotes and sayings - heard in meetings