- We must change playmates, playgrounds, and playthings

We must change playmates, playgrounds, and playthings

Sobriety quotes and sayings heard in Meetings

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:59 pm

Yep. Welcome to the site Eric! Glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you!

Looking at the topic of this thread.... makes me wish I had some Playmates to change! It's difficult to change playmates, when you don't have any. :oops:

Hopefully, someday... I might have a playmate, and if I get one -- I'll see if I can change 'em. :lol:

Live, love, learn and laugh often... it might be worth "passing it on!"

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

changing playgrounds

Postby kkrecovery » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 am

Hi all,

I just discovered this board through a Google search on "AA playmates", because, after 4.5 years sobriety, still hanging out with my old playmates in our old playgrounds, I am realizing that while I have proven to myself that I am "strong" enough to do that, it makes me CRAZY to try. My co-dependency has gotten huge and my alcoholic mind goes off to the races (obsession over yet another failed relationship in that old sandbox). I guess I finally had to hit bottom to see it.

I was searching on Google because the old self doubt was getting to me, saying "maybe those people do know how to have fun, and it's me that's wrong" and "maybe I do want to be able to go anywhere with anyone"...those old familiar voices calling me back to the playground for more insanity.

Well, I had to double check on the internet to see if yes, what we hear in meetings is true, we must change playmates and playgrounds. Well, turns out, imagine that, yes it's true. My first sponsor used to say the barber shop thing, and well, I never got drunk, but, I certainly got crazy. And I certainly thought about drinking over being crazy.

So anyway, thanks for the reality check, the straightening out of this alcoholic's skewed thinking, I am waving goodbye to my old friends, I am getting out of the sandbox, and I'm open to the new....whatever it may be.

Take my will and my life, show me how to live...Gratitude, thankful you are here.
kkrecovery

Re: We must change playmates, playgrounds, and playthings

Postby ron g » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am

The phrase ‘change your playground and playmates’ is not in the Big Book.

The theology of ‘change your playground and playmates’ is found in Step 12. One way to paraphrase Step 12 is; 12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps we changed our playground and playmates and practice these principles in all our affairs. What is written in the Big Book on pages 100-101 are guidelines on putting Step 12 into action. The title of the chapter where pages 100-101 is found is ‘Working with Others’.
ron g

Postby Toast » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi, like this.

I had to change my playmates and stay away from certain family members because they would’ve all gone out their way to convince me I wasn’t an alcoholic. Some family members didn’t take it well when I quit drinking, they were what Al anon would call enablers. Not only did they provide me with booze & money they also provided me with a perfectly logical excuse to pick up that first fatal drink and start the merry go round all over again!

Any way I consider myself very lucky, when I finally put the drink down the desire to drink went with it. I’m so glad I’ve not been a ‘ booze fighter’ wasting years staggering in and out of AA. I simply never want to drink again life is too good!

Even If they brought out a pill tomorrow that would cure alcoholism I just wouldn’t take it, I have no desire whatsoever to go back to where I came from. Even before booze and before AA I never had the tools to make a life like I have today, I’ve more than sobriety to thank AA for, and with your help it will always be this way. And not only for me but for countless others!

And for that I am responsible.
Toast

Postby chollis » Wed May 30, 2012 7:31 pm

This quote or saying brings stuff to mind. I guess I am able to be around people that drink and be at places where alcohol is served. I usually go with people that know my situation and can keep my mind off of things. They are kind of my escape route. I feel that some people need to change the places, people, and things they do to get better. There are also people like me that are able to attend these places because of the friends and our different ways of thinking. I don't think I am any better because of this I just think everyone has a different way of dealing with their sobriety. I do have to say that I don't attend the clubs and bars as often as I used to so that is something I guess that I have stayed away from which was my playground.
chollis

Postby Dallas » Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 am

I worked as a bartender off and on during my first couple of years in sobriety.
I enjoyed serving drinks -- to others.
Not once was I tempted to have a drink myself.
I KNEW that I was alcoholic -- and because I was alcoholic, I couldn't drink. :-)

At the clubs and some of the places I tended bar -- periodically, I would see someone
that I had seen in the meetings -- while they were sober -- that had returned to drinking.

It was sure a wake-up call for me as to "why I could not drink."

I can understand why some people do have to change playmates, friends and give up the places where they played.
1. They still have the mind of an alcoholic. And,
2. Often, the only playmates and friends that they had were round-the-clock drunks, like I had been.

Thanks for sharing, Chollis! Great to hear from you.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Quotes and sayings - heard in meetings