- what made your blood boil in meetings??

what made your blood boil in meetings??

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby dsbfaith » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Okay some things that bother me at meetings.The newcomer who goes on and on and on.I say to myself that person really needs a sponsor.Remember take the cotten out of your ears and put it in your mouth. There goes my control issues again forgetting I am not driving the car HP is.People that sit next to me who have been smoking cigs.You guessed it I quit a year ago,I was one of them. Cheap Cookies, Not starting the meeting on time or ending on time. I need consitency.When I drank I would be late or not show up at all.make promises and not keep them : :( Ofcourse with all of this going on in my head sometimes I miss the message. :?:
dsbfaith

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that!

Cheap cookies!!! OMG!!! I forgot all about those!

I don't mean to date myself but I'm the only one that I'm dating right now... :lol: :lol: But, I remember when.... they started selling donut holes! And, some guy brought the donut holes to the meeting as a substitute for fresh donuts and good cookies!!! I could have boiled him! (But he left before I finished washing the cups and the ashtrays!) :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 am

Cheap cookies!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for making me laugh on a day that was pretty somber.

Watch it with the "I'm dating myself" line, Dallas! I used that once & entered the relationship from the black lagoon.

Later...
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 am

Watch it with the "I'm dating myself" line, Dallas! I used that once & entered the relationship from the black lagoon.

You'll have to explain that one to me. I only look smart. :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 pm

When I said, "I'm dating myself..." it got taken as a pick-up line. Sort of like,"I'm the only one I'm dating, so would YOU like to date me? How about it?" :wink:

I was only 4 mos sober at the time & I meant to be funny, but this guy took me seriously & hounded me to go out with him. I said I can't, cuz I don't have a year. Well that meant a challenge to him & he pursued me to the gates of insanity & death. Literally! By the end, he was threatening to kill me, hurt my children & grandchildren, burn my house etc... & I thought I was losing my mind.

It was just like my relationship with alcohol! I was trapped & couldn't get out. I found a new sponsor who had been in the same situation & she told me, "Honey, we're gonna get you free!" & we worked the steps using him
instead of alcohol. It was amazing for me to see how I substituted a relationship for alcohol & how I was just as obsessed. Now, I am able to help other women who are in the same insanity, & there are many.

I do not recommend doing what I did to anyone, yet I am very grateful for the lesson, cuz I may have gone on believing that my only problem was alcohol! :lol:

Sorry for the saga Dallas! Guess you triggered some painful memories for me & I needed to get them out.

Today I say, "I'm letting my age show...and it looks darn good on me!" :D
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:53 am

sunlight wrote:How about it? :wink:

Maybe... :lol:

But, I've got to let you know...
I'm not like that other guy!!!
I don't even play with matches
Let alone chase 'em. :lol:

I understand, though.
I've had those kinds of things happen to me... because I said "No".

Figure that one out!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey all...how's the day going for you all so far.

I've been out of commission, or rather, my computer has--since last spring...finally got the do-ra-me to get the tower replaced. It's good to be back online.

I've been going back thru the thread in regards to this topic. What you all have experienced, I have as well. I find, for me..when I get annoyed at a meeting, it's usually because I'm hungry, or tired (or both), feeling a little irritable to start with. I've been reminded that, yes...it is my meeting, and, it is also that person's meeting--that we both/each have equal rite to share, or get off our chest whatever is eating us up inside. A newcomer doesn't understand, yet...anything...our jargon: 12 steps; 12 traditions; even our slogans...it's all new to them. If they have the will to show up, and they are talking, they are on their way on this road of recovery--it's those who show up, and never say a word, at any time--before/after, or during the meeting...that that guy or girl is in trouble. When a person is new at these meetings, we are there to help them get their "land-legs" back, and they might be just shy of crawling into these rooms--we help them learn this feeling of peace and serenity by passing it forward--from us to them. It's not up to a newcomer to meet my expectations, nor is it anybody else's.

If they're texting (or cell phone) while someone else is talking, one angle can be "well, I guess you're cured, and don't need to hear what is getting said", but, is that not looking into that person's back yard instead of my own? I might get annoyed with the ramblings of a newcomer, but a few days later, I might have had one of those days where I'm rambling at a meeting myself, the difference might be either ramble, or go get a drink. My sobriety is not dependent on whether the person next to me is fidgety (which seriously gets under my skin--I will inconspicuously move, go stand in back of room for example), or if people talking takes the spotlight away from the person who is sharing, I will move closer to the person who is talking--we don't have to remain seated at these meetings...we can move around (if the room you use warrants that, of course). I've been to meetings, too...where, I got a lot of great stuff out of it--afterwords, stand outside for a smoke, others trickle out, and whispers of complaints begins and carry on over how rude someone else was, and I'm lost as to what happened/what they're talking about--when I'm told, while Jane was talking, Joe and Bob put their heads together and whispered something...didn't I see that? No...I was focused on Jane--what anybody else does while someone is sharing--I don't really care about (unless they're choking on a cheap cookie :twisted: ...or discount donut holes :twisted: :wink: ), or, maybe I did see them put their heads together, also saw Bob give Joe $1 for the 7th Tradition because Joe forgot his wallet in his truck, and uses a walker to get around, because Joe is 70.

It's what I choose to walk away from a meeting with--anger and resentment? Or, the newcomer that rambled on and on--and really needs a sponsor--go up to that newcomer afterwords and say..."I know what you're going thru--we've all been there"...because...we have. When someone gets under my skin at a meeting, either what someone has shared, or read--out of AA literature...I have learned that it's not about that other person getting under my skin, it's about me--and why is that getting under my skin? More often than not, it's what was said that struck a nerve, not the other person, and it's about the stones I've yet to unturn in my own program.

Talk about annoyances and the 7th Tradition, I was with a group for a while that would pass the basket during the meeting--while someone was sharing--I personally thought that was rude--person speaking, money and rustling going on...did I say anything? No. When the basket got to me, I'd put it down in front of me. When the meeting was near over, and onto announcements...then I'd keep the basket moving. Eventually, while, not making any deal about it what-so-ever...the basket would get passed at the end of the meeting...why...because it's too much of a distraction while someone is sharing :shock: :wink: .

Remember kids...take 5 minutes...and read the comics :lol: .

Live and let live,
Annie
musicmode

Postby sunlight » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:43 pm

Annie!

It is so good to hear from you again. It's nice to live in today, & not have to keep re-reading all your former posts! :lol:

After reading all the things that bug people at meetings, it's made me love meetings all the more. Meetings, & talking to people afterwards, has saved my sobriety more than once, & I'm able to help others save theirs.

These days, there's not anything I can't bring to a meeting.

I wore this furry pink winter coat I have to a meeting the other day & people said, "Sunlight, that's outrageous! You have no shame!" I said, "You're right! I don't have any shame. Those days & behaviors are gone!"

So began a meeting on shame. I could share the shame of my past and marvel in the freedom from it today. I constantly have to keep picking my jaw off the floor at how this program works! :D

Here's a cute one from Saturday's comics:
Two dogs are eating out of a garbage can & the one says, "These old fortune cookies sure are thought provoking."
The second dog says, "Yeah, but no matter how much you ponder them, an hour later you feel pondery again."
sunlight

Postby sunlight » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:33 pm

:?
Last edited by sunlight on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
sunlight

Postby sunlight » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Oh! I almost forgot!

musicmode wrote:

choking on a cheap cookie or discount donut holes...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the chuckles!
sunlight

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery