- Happy Holidays?

Happy Holidays?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Happy Holidays?

Postby sunlight » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02 am

That time if year is coming that so many of us have trouble with - the holidays.

What are some of the ways you've found to celebrate the holidays sober & joyously?

I have heard two nightmare horror stories from women this week that happened from drinking. It amazes me how they can even function. I see so much pain that we carry inside, & there IS healing, but it doesn't happen overnight.

I'm director of entertainment for the fellowship club I belong to. I'm looking for ways to celebrate the holidays in a group setting while keeping our program in mind.

Here's the plan for Halloween: Big Book dress up & study. Dress as a person or phrase from the BB & find the page it's on & tell how it applies to your life.

So far we've got - Dr. Bob, Sr. Igantius (we are not saints!), stupid,boring & glum, a hopeless state of mind & body, cunning,baffling & powerful, the housewife who drank at home, a spool of thread (an evil & corrosive thread) & (the worst of all) I'm going as pitiful & incomprehensible demoralization (don't even ask!!!)

Then we're all going to dance to "The Monster Mash"

Any other ideas?

Love you.
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:10 am

Don't forget "happy, joyous, and free". I tried to sponsor those guys. Talk about a job!
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 am

The three stooges? After you sponsored them, I dated them!

Thanks for the :idea:
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:41 pm

You mean you found "free"?

My running buddy and me used to pick up "happy" and "joyous" pretty regular. We never coud find "free". He was always supposed to be there, but he never showed up. Last time they were together they started hitting each other in the back seat - and they were SERIOUS! Happy nearly gave "joyous" a bloody nose! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Last I heard, "happy" was in the county jail for DV (Domestic Violence). "Joyous" seems to have disappeared from the face of earth. Last seen in an outlying town called "Brunswick" Ohio.

Ahh the faces of new guys! Always brings back a smile. :)

So we like the new fellows, do we now - hmmm Sunlight??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 pm

No baiting trusted servants!

Here's the gig:

"Happy" swept me off my feet @ 4 mos sober (literally-he picked me up & carried me!) He conned me pretty good (I thought I was sane cuz I didn't have a drink for 4 mos. ) He went back out drinking & drugging & broke my heart, but I kept working my steps & going to meetings & helping others & I didn't drink. This is the grace of God.

"Joyous" was the other extreme. He had 22 yrs. was an AA "guru" & a member of the "God Squad". Plus he ran a home for recovering alcoholics. Good credentials,right? :lol: He confided to me that he did not have a higher power & he wanted mine! He said God was a lie & AA was a lie. He was sicker than Happy!

"Free" is (notice the present tense) a biker with 28 yrs. & a big mouth & a big heart.

This is all true stuff. I never watch soap operas cuz my life is way more interesting.

How did you get me talking about this? We have a way of doing that with each other! I must've need it! Thanks!
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Yup it's funny but true!

"Happy" was a new guy who just had this expression on his face that was totally the opposite of happy. I kept on forgettting his name. But I had this other guy who actually had 3 or 4 years sober, but he looked just as happy as "Happy" - totally miserable and he didn't have a sponsor, but he called me all the time and kinda made me his sponsor but never asked me to be. He just used me as a sponsor.

So one day, I'll never forget it, my runnning buddy Mike who's got 28 years sober and me were spending the 4th of July together at his ex-wife's (another long story!). We're on our way to a meeting, and I get a call from "Joyous" and then "Happy" and they both live in the same neighborhood, but neither one knows the other. So Mike and me pick them up and they're in the back seat. And boy at the scowls on their faces!

I glance back at them, then I say to Mike "Hey. We got happy and joyous in the back seat, the only one we're missing is free."

Mike looked in his rear-view mirror and saw their faces and just busted up. Even "Joyous" cracked a smile. So that was their names whenever we picked them up. When one waas missing the other would say "Where's Happy?" and it was just a funning thing that worked out that way. We never did find "free".

But that July 4th, Happy and Joyous got to fussing with each other about something, and the next thing I know we look back and their arms are flailing and they're literally hitting each other. Both with mean scowls looking like a couple disgruntled elfs at Santa's workshop. Mike yells for them to settle down, and the next thing I see is "Joyous" holding his lip which is now bleeding. Now mind you these are growm men about 30-years old each one.

You're right Sunlight, sometimes "truth" is stranger than fiction. And you really don't need soap opera's when you have friends in this fellowship.

Thank you, too, for jogging my memory
garden variety

Postby garden variety » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Oh yeah - before I forget - to answer your first question.

Mike and me are going to a AA Halloween dance this Saturday at a church in a town called "Avon Lake" which is along the shores of Lake Erie. Maybe we'll run into Susan?

Mike is a dancer. We'll go there and pick on the girls, and ask the ones that are sitting alone to dance. Mike gets all dressy for stuff like this, so he'll be getting into a tie and dress clothes that are somehow related to Halloween. I don't know what the heck to wear, but I'm open to suggestions?

Think this way - how would ask your friend "Free" to get "suited up" on Halloween? Sounds like it would be a pretty close match for me, too.
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

"Free" has this T shirt that makes it look like he's wearing a tux. He's paired this with his leather jacket,chaps,boots etc.. also once added a big black cape - very dramatic!

I'm going to try to find a top hat & a little stuffed rabbit to go with this ensemble to depict the "illusion that has to be smashed". Poor rabbit! Or else he could be someone with whom we would not normally mix!

Ask Susan to dance! Have a great time!Laugh a lot - we have recovered!
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:35 am

Hey Sunlight!

That's a great idea that you have. I've been thinking about it since you posted it. Not only is it fun and different -- but for me, I can see some therapeutical value in it. It often helps me to visualize a character to associate with an experience. Then, once I have the visual character of the experience indexed and filed in my memory bank -- I can draw up on it and make use of it, in my efforts to keep my mind continually changing and to live my experiences to the fullest.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:33 pm

What a bomb on the Halloween thing!

Only 4 people dressed up. Talk about egomaniacs with inferiority complexes! But the point was to crack open the big book, find yourself in there & talk about it. And that was accomplished so I guess it was a success, just not in the way I thought.

Did you know "boiled as an owl" is in there? I learn something new every day.

Won't be able to post for a few days. Auditors are coming to my work & I can't be on the internet. My sponsor gave me her old computer but it's Windows 98 & I'll need to get a phone line & dial up. I'm trying not to whine about my blessing!
sunlight

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery