- Definition of an Alcoholics Anonymous - R U Really READY?

Definition of an Alcoholics Anonymous - R U Really READY?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Definition of an Alcoholics Anonymous - R U Really READY?

Postby garden variety » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:48 pm

I found this little pamphlet that isn't being printed any longer. There's a part in here that is a REAL eye-opener for all that are members of this fellowship. I'm posting an "excerpt" that talks about a common problem in AA today, and how it was handled "back in the day".

Please read this, and feel free to post your comments. If you know who did this writing and where it came from, God bless you! Keep it "hushed" for a minute to give as many folks a chance think about it and comment. If you don't know who done it, and want to take a guess at who wrote this piece, give it your best shot. (more will constantly be disclosed!)

Definition of an Alcoholic Anonymous:

An Alcoholic Anonymous is an alcoholic who through application of and adherence to rules laid down by the organization, has completely forsworn the use of any and all alcoholic beverages. The moment he wittingly drinks so much as a drop of beer, wine, spirits, or any other alcoholic drink he automatically loses all status as a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

A.A. is not interested in sobering up drunks who are not sincere in their desire to remain completely sober for all time. A.A. is not interested in alcoholics who want to sober up merely to go on another bender, sober up because of fear for their jobs, their wives, their social standing, or to clear up some trouble either real or imaginary.
In other words, if a person is genuinely sincere in his desire for continued sobriety for his own good, is convinced in his heart that alcohol holds him in its power, and is willing to admit that he is an alcoholic, members of Alcoholics Anonymous will do all in their power, spend days of their time to guide him to a new, a happy, and a contented way of life.

It is utterly essential for the newcomer to say to himself sincerely and without any reservation, "I am doing this for myself and myself alone." Experience has proved in hundreds of cases that unless an alcoholic is sobering up for a purely personal and selfish motive, he will not remain sober for any great length of time. He may remain sober for a few weeks or a few months, but the moment the motivating element, usually fear of some sort, disappears, so disappears sobriety.

TO THE NEWCOMER: It is your life. It is your choice. If you are not completely convinced to your own satisfaction that you are an alcoholic, that your life has become unmanageable; if you are not ready to part with alcohol forever, it would be better for all concerned if you discontinue reading this and give up the idea of becoming a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

For if you are not convinced, it is not only wasting your own time, but the time of scores of men and women who are genuinely interested in helping you.

These are some strong words from someone who might be a surprise to some. Thoughts? Comments? Guesses who? (NO CHEATING!)
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:33 pm

You love to bait us & we love it too!

As far as I know, I thought this was part of the original AA preamble But I remember a part that went "The only relief we have to offer is absolute abstinence, the second meaning of AA" plus other parts which I don't see here, so I don't think I'll win the prize!

This is telling it like it is! No sugar-coated AA or we'll kiss your behind till you come around. The longtimers hit me with this from the start & the ego-smashing had begun.

Thanks Paul. Next contestant,please.
sunlight

Postby Jools » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 am

Hey Paul,

Thanks for sharing this lil piece with us. I'm clueless as to who wrote it, but I couldn't imagine it would've been Bill W because didn't he relapse a few times after AA started?

I haven't been sober that long, you should have let me cheat. :twisted: :wink:
Jools

Postby garden variety » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:50 am

Well since you mentioned it, I'll throw in a hint.

The person who wrote this DID relapse. Before they wrote this.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Bill W because didn't he relapse a few times after AA started?

I'm not sure where that rumor started -- but, in fact, it is a rumor and it isn't true.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:53 pm

From what I've learned, Dallas is correct: Bill Wilson didn't relapse or go back out.

Oh but I've heard some crazy things and rumors, no doubt. About the most outrageous one I heard came from a guy who had 19 years sober, and was defensive about, once again, the need to accept "drug use" as part of the AA program and people who can "be members". He said that it is well documented that Bill Wilson "experimented with LSD" because he suffered from chronic bouts of clinical depression.

Then there's the other "justifications" to include drug abuse in the book. Bill Wilson does admit to drinking alcohol along with (drinking) a "sedative" as his alcoholism progressed to where he was hallucinating (probably DT's and short-term alcohol withdrawal). Wilson also said "this combination soon landed me on the rocks".

And Dr. Bob admits to using "large doses of sedatives" to calm his jitters in the morning so he could work to make more money to get liquor to drink in in the evening, and that "cycle" he called a "nightmare" which was to become the title of Dr. Bob's story, "Dr. Bob's Nightmare" (which I consider Dr. Bob's story a part of the "original text" - you just can't take him out of the picture or there wouldn't be AA).

The thing I know for true is this. There aren't too many ways to detox an alcoholic who has been drinking heavily every day. One is to taper him down for 3 days with alcohol (whiskey) like they did up in Cleveland's "Rosary Hall" for many years. The other method is still used in treatment and detox and involves tapering the alcohol withdrawal symptoms with one of two types of "sedatives". This is done so the alcoholic gets through physical withdrawal without convulsions or seizures which can cause death. Unfortunately, one of those "sedatives" has the EXACT same chemical and neurological effect on the brain as alcohol, and can lead to prescription pill abuse and dependency, but that's another story. As a note for the record, neither of these "sedatives" was invented at the time Dr. Bob and Bill W. were withdrawing.

Sometimes these things evolve into some pertty crazy "stories" and "ratinalizations" and "rumors" about drug abuse and how the founders of AA were "druggies". Go figure.

Anyway - are there any more guesses on the writer of the pamphlet I quoted from? C'mon shoot some wild guesses!
garden variety

Postby ccs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:50 am

joe or charly :?: :?: :?:
ccs

Postby sunlight » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:51 am

Ebby?

Dr. Bob?

Dr. Seuss?
sunlight

Postby Tim » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Somebody from the Nicollet Group in Minneapolis?
Tim

Postby Jools » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Well dang, I didn't know that was a rumor. In fact, I heard he almost jumped out of a window it got so bad for him.

Eventually I'll learn more about Bill and Bob. Right now I'm just thankful they started this deal.

:) Julie
Jools

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery