- Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 pm

As a fatter of mact, I WILL be doing step 11 again this weekend when I meet with my sponsor! See ya on the moon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by sunlight on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

Wow it is nice that we all have new lives we can share. This Thanksgiving was so beautiful to me - I shared in another post somewhere. But it was great to spend the time with folks I love which includes some folks that are alcoholics that are actively getting worse.

The book says "nothing so much insures immunity from drinking than intensive work with another alcoholic." Let me testify that this is so true. Over the past month, I have indeed been working intensively with other alcoholics. Some drinking, some sober, some dry. It has been a lot of work sometimes and I've got pretty exhausted, but it really has been a blessing. I was reminded that alcohol is still the same, and it does the same thing to alcoholics. I was reminded if I repeat the same experiment over and over again, I'll never get a different result. I truly felt that "new freedom" from alcohol.

The book also says that alcohol no longer controls my life, that my attitude becomes "neutral". Also that I will have an automatic reaction like pulling my hand away from a flame. It's all true, because I've been around folks stuck in the middle of problem drinking, then some "social drinkers (real ones!), and "abstainers" which includes me. It's true, my attitude toward alcohol is "neutral". But I also respect it as "poison" to me, and not to everyone else.

I sat next to a woman who brought her own bottle of wine to a Thanksgiving get-together. She used a little bitty "liquer" glass to drink her wine. The little glass was 3/4 full, and it lasted her a couple hours - that one glass - then she left. Across from me was another woman who drank can on top of can of beer and got totally blasted. Next to her was a young man who drank diet pop, but he could have been drinking booze.

He told that lady when she was talking to him "you're too messed up" and we, the three of us looked at each other, smiled and shook our heads because he was so right. (The 3 of us being the lady with the little wine glass, the young man with the diet pop, and me - I was drinking coffee) It was funny because we all had the same body language and communicated through our glances about the drunk in the same language. That was a neat moment for me. Instead of immediately identifying with the drunk, it was easier to identify with the (non-alcoholic) "earth people".
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:44 pm

I was going to start a whole new topic called IT'S ALL ABOUT ME because....it was. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I tried to change my e-mail on my profile here from my work to my home e-mail & got deactivated from the site. When I got home my e-mail said to click on the link to re-activate. I did & the message was "unauthorized". I was crushed. It was like going to a meeting & being invisible. :( It doesn't help me if I don't participate.

I wondered if I'd been banned cuz I'd posted something wildly inappropriate & I was now unfit for human consumption! :? I even tried to re-register under "sunLITE", but that's like Miller Lite or AA Lite.

Go ahead, laugh. It's OK. I finally did.

What I'm trying to say is I'm thankful to be able to be a part of again, & I love you guys, & I got to see where my thoughts went to & how to go green with them! Thanks Dallas! Sorry for sending 10 messages!

Love, SunLIGHT
sunlight

Postby GeoffS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:07 am

sunlight wrote:As a fatter of mact, I WIILL be doing step 11 again this weekend when I meet with my sponsor! See ya on the moon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just remember its good for a while to look around, but we need to keep our feet firmly on the ground!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 am

unfit for human consumption!
:lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks for the reminder,Geoffs!

If you read my post above, you'll see that I was de-activated from the site for a bit (seemed like eons) & I'm so happy to be back, so you can help me keep my feet on the ground. I can be a trifle lacking in the "firmly" department! :lol:
sunlight

Postby GeoffS » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:26 am

sunlight wrote:Thanks for the reminder,Geoffs!

If you read my post above, you'll see that I was de-activated from the site for a bit (seemed like eons) & I'm so happy to be back, so you can help me keep my feet on the ground. I can be a trifle lacking in the "firmly" department! :lol:

And thanks to you for the rule 62 reminders...I've been going through a bit of an "ask me the time and I'll teach you how to build a clock" phase.
GeoffS

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery