- Patience and tolerance

Patience and tolerance

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Patience and tolerance

Postby GeoffS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 am

Seem to be commodities needed for online messageboards perhaps more even than in face to face communication.

It is difficult to see facial expressions and body language, and to hear the way people say stuff.

I have to be very careful not to take umbrage with something someone has written, I may not read it as it was intended.

Conversely it would be very easy for an alcoholic like me to read something I didn't like and hide behind the anonymity this medium gives me, and launch attacks and hurl abuse, and pour scorn or ridicule on someone I didn't agree with or who I thought was trying to upset me.

People may not like what I write here (however hard I try to be clear), and that is ok. Its more than ok, its fantastic, it gives me the chance to remember I need to accept other points of view and through that acceptance, maybe even learn from them.

Now I like an argument as much as the next person, if argument takes its meaning of exchanging view points from reasoned positions and debating in an adult manner (yes I can do adult sometimes!) If it anyone wants to start a petty points-scoring slanging match, or as we say here have a blue, then I must accept their need to do it, wish them well and move away. That petty stuff is the dubious luxury of others.

Thank you for your patience and tolerance in indulging something that got on my mind.
GeoffS

Postby garden variety » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks GeoffS.

You speak wisely. Time and again in our forums here, there have been disagreements and debates. From what I can see, none of us appears any worse on account of it. Civility and doing the "adult thing" every now and again pave the way as you said. In fact some of us have had the door open just a teensy bit wider - that is to say to gain a greater degree of open-mindedness.

For me spiritual growth can involve pain that comes through learning a lesson that will help me next time around. If I can walk through the pain and use the simple kit of spiritual tools to form my actions, all becomes well. The circumstance may not have been "God's will", but whatever the circumstance, I believe my Higher Power would will for me to find constructive action and spiritual progress within. If I fight, struggle, or run away, I set aside acceptance and my serenity, and I lose the scent of progress. Truth will take all the more longer for me to find.

Thanks for helping me today.
garden variety

Postby ccs » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 pm

B.B. chapter 7

Some day we hope that Alcoholics Anonymous will help the public to a better realization of the gravity of the alcoholic problem, but we shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.
Drinkers will not stand for it .

After all,our problems were of our own making.Bottles were only a symbol. Besides,we have stopped fighting anybody or anything.
We have to!

this is one of my readings from today I just thought it fit right here

thanks to Geoff S. and Paul for giving me hope today!!! :wink:

LUV-2-ALL Cessie
ccs

Postby sunlight » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:23 pm

"Love and tolerance of others is our code."

As per Merriam Webster:

Love ( in the altruistic sense of charity, as a verb) :
a. benevolent goodwill toward humanity
b. generosity & helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering

Love is an activity

Tolerance:
a. capacity to endure pain or hardship
b. sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own
c. the relative capacity of an organism to grow or thrive when subjected to an unfavorable environmental factor
d. indulgence or forbearance in judging others

Others:
a. one that is psychologically differentiated from the self ( not me )

Code:
a. a system of principles or rules
b. a system of signals or symbols for communication

"...asking each morning that our Creator show us the way of patience, tolerance, kindliness & love."

Hope this is helpful. :)
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks Geoff, for posting your message.
I understand... :wink:

And, thanks to all of you for your examples of maturity in action and your messages above.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery