- There but for the grace of God go I....

There but for the grace of God go I....

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

There but for the grace of God go I....

Postby Red A. » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Prosecutors have cleared a Colorado Springs man in the Dec. 28 fatal shooting of a local golf pro who was drunkenly trying to break into the man's home - apparently believing he was locked out of his own apartment....................
Kennedy had been drinking at a local golf course and his blood-alcohol level of 0.26 was more than three times the legal limit of 0.08 for driving in Colorado when he pulled up outside Parsons' house in his pickup.

Sad and chilling story.
Red A.

Postby sunlight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks Red.

That occurrence was not far from me either - in more ways than one.

I was a blackout drinker & never even knew what I'd done. (Got to where I wouldn't leave the house & just drank at home.) Only after my children were reasonably hopeful that I was going to give sobriety a chance, did they venture to tell me of my insanity.

Now, they're only too eager to let me know if I'm off the wall! :lol:
And, I'm so happy that I can remember it & take corrective measures.

Y'know, I do a little dance every day, just for joy that I'm sober! :D
sunlight

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 am

I was out for my last 16 month run when this occurred. I cried I had a four year old at home and I was far far far away.

Happened in 2007.

Some may have hear this one.

ROSE VALLEY, Saskatchewan - A man who left his two daughters to die in a frozen field pleaded guilty today to criminal negligence, weeping as he held his bandaged, frostbitten hands to his face.

As the wind chill hovered at 58 degrees Fahrenheit below zero (-50 Celsius), Christopher Pauchay lost his 1-year-old and 3-year-old daughters last January 29 while walking to a neighbour's house. Pauchay's family said he was drunk at the time. The girls were wearing only nappies and T-shirts.

He eventually made it to the house and was hospitalised, suffering from severe frostbite and hypothermia. Eight hours later, when he was able to speak, he asked about his children.

That set off a frantic search that ended hours later when the girls were found dead in a snowy field - about 402 kilometres north of North Dakota.

He was charged with criminal negligence for causing the deaths of both children by failing "to provide protection from exposure to the elements."

Pauchay, 24, sobbed in his courtroom chair Monday after pleading guilty. Pauchay, a member of the Yellow Quill First Nation in Saskatchewan, stood and nodded "yes" to the plea at what was to be the start of his trial in a makeshift courtroom in nearby Rose Valley.

Pauchay's lawyer, Ron Piche, said he believes his client should serve a conditional sentence in the community and will ask the judge to allow an aboriginal sentencing circle to recommend his client's fate. The application is to be heard Dec. 5 in Rose Valley.

Prosecutor Marylynne Beaton said she opposes such an arrangement and plans to argue that Pauchay should serve more than two years in a federal prison.

"There is part of the public out there that says, 'Hang him at dawn,' because he's committed a crime and two people lost their lives," Piche said outside court. "There's the other contingent out there - I would say the majority - who say he's suffered enough.

"He made a tragic mistake. It did indeed cost the lives of his young girls, but he's paid for that. He'll pay for it for the rest of his life."

Piche said his client had been drinking that night and only has a vague memory of what happened.

"Being in the frame of mind that he was, he recalls one of his daughters having fallen and injuring herself. And that was his motivation in leaving the residence that night," Piche said. "He was going to try to get help for his daughter."

A handful of family members accompanied Pauchay to court, including an uncle who said his nephew just wanted "justice for his babies."

Piche said Pauchay was a doting father, feels tremendous guilt and didn't want to go through the pain of a trial.

Sheila Pauchay said her brother has stopped drinking and is working hard to improve his life. But she doubts an end to the court case will bring any closure to her family.

"It's not going to heal, never will," she said. "Nothing's going to bring them back."

Pauchay's common-law wife, who publicly said she would stand by him when he was charged, did not attend court today. The couple had another baby girl earlier this year.

The 900-member Yellow Quill First Nation has been plagued for decades by alcohol abuse, high unemployment and a lack of housing.

Following the girls' death, Chief Robert Whitehead called for an addictions treatment centre on the reserve. A plan is still in the works and in the hands of the Saskatoon Tribal Council, he said.
Ranman99

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 am

Some years back there was a woman in our community who drove drunk and crashed into another vehicle, killing a man and his daughter. She was the founder of an organization that worked to moderate the drinking habits of problem drinkers.

In my opinion it is important for AAs to accept members who are potential alcoholics, who may have "drank less than another member has spilled". If someone discovers that they can't control their drinking or can't stay stopped, no matter how far along the scale they have gone, AA should open it's doors to them.
Tim

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Tim wrote:Some years back there was a woman in our community who drove drunk and crashed into another vehicle, killing a man and his daughter. She was the founder of an organization that worked to moderate the drinking habits of problem drinkers.

In my opinion it is important for AAs to accept members who are potential alcoholics, who may have "drank less than another member has spilled". If someone discovers that they can't control their drinking or can't stay stopped, no matter how far along the scale they have gone, AA should open it's doors to them.

They are welcome if they decide they are Alcoholic. I certainly could have done allot more damage than I did.
DiggerinVA

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery