- PAINS OF GROWING UP --OR RECOVERED?

PAINS OF GROWING UP --OR RECOVERED?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:36 am

Sunlight wrote:Once I get out the label maker & start cranking out the letters for a person, situation or myself, & label it good/bad, ugly/pretty, recovering/recovered, there's a risk of me filing it away as something I already know & dismissing it.

Then, I've missed the gift of it!

I understand! :lol:

One of my greatest difficulties was in getting rid of that Label Gun!

And, as Robert mentioned... It takes me constant effort to remember to keep my hands off of it!!! :wink:

Thanks for the reminders. It must be time to do some self-searching and find out what I've been labeling without being aware that I'm labeling!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Hiya ROBERT - here's my answer to your original question.

Instead of "recovering" or "recovered", or even "growing up", I think what best describes all of us who aren't going backwards (e.g., "dry") is this:

ACHIEVING SOBRIETY

For me anyhow, I LOVE SOBRIETY! This way I can always look at sobriety in terms of the RELATIONSHIPS I'm building with God, myself, and other human beings along this journey of life. For me, sobriety is a relationship - a realtionship with a "spirit" - the "spirit of sobriety".

By the way - here's what is said in the "Basic Text" about "recovering" versus "recovered":

"recovering":

Page 129: "Our women folk have suggested certain attitudes a wife may take with the husband who is recovering."

"recovered":

Page 17: "Nearly all have recovered."
Page 20: "...we have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body."
Page 29: "Further on, clear-cut directions are given showing how we recovered."
Page 44: "If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered long ago."
Page 90: "If he says yes, then his attention should be drawn to you as a person who has recovered."
Page 96: "...he might have deprived many others, who have since recovered, of their chance."
Page 113: "He knows that thousands of men, much like himself, have recovered."
Page 132: "We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others."
Page 133: "We, who have recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health."
Page 146: "An alcoholic who has recovered, but holds a relatively unimportant job, can talk to a man with a better position."

Controversey?

'nuff said!
garden variety

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:24 pm

garden variety wrote:I can always look at sobriety in terms of the RELATIONSHIPS I'm building with God, myself, and other human beings

That's how I see sobriety--and the crux of the 12 Steps--as building relationships. When I was drinking it was about destroying relationships.
Tim

Postby ROBERT » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:17 am

there are 132 times the word RECOVERED is found in the B.B. & still counting!!!
ROBERT

Postby GeoffS » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:32 pm

ROBERT wrote:there are 132 times the word RECOVERED is found in the B.B. & still counting!!!

wish I had as much spare time as you..thats a fair effort :)
GeoffS

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery