have to fight with him if he is violent. Sometimes you
will have to call a doctor and administer sedatives under
his direction. Another time you may have to send for the
police or an ambulance. Occasionally you will have to
meet such conditions.

Dr. Bob's Nightmare: pg 176

I did not take the morning drink which I
craved so badly, but instead would fill up on large doses
of sedatives to quiet the jitters, which distressed me terribly.
Occasionally, I would yield to the morning craving,
but if I did, it would be only a few hours before I
would be quite unfit for work.

Dr. Silkworth administered sedatives to Bill, when hospitalized.

Dr. Bob often used sedatives on newcomers who were detoxing in the hospital.

Bill's experiences with LSD, was under doctors supervision.

The doc used sedatives on me when he drilled some new holes in my eyes. :lol:

And, the heart doc used sedatives on me when he ran a heart cath up from my leg to my heart.

Would that indicate we are all addicts because a doctor has prescribed sedatives? :lol:

When they did my heart cath I was afraid that I would have to change my sobriety date. My sponsor said "Don't be silly. That was a freebie. If you start running around seeking heart caths... then, we'll takne another look at your sobriety date." :lol:

I know of a really fine AA, who tells in his story... about his son that had a drug problem. Dad wants him to go to AA. The son eventually dies from untreated drug addiction -- and the father still feels he's partially responsible for the death -- because he didn't have the insight to see that his son needed to be in a place where they focused on helping him with his drug addiction.

I understand love and tolerance. We try to be helpful to all -- especially to alcoholics. And, I believe it is most helpful if we help a person to find the help that will take care of their problem.

Alcoholic personalities tend to be Jack's of All Trades, experts in everything, but Masters in nothing. :lol:

I know that even when I was still drinking, me and my alcoholic buddies would sit at the bar and solve the worlds problems (even though we couldn't solve out own)... and exclaim "If they'd only follow our suggestions we could fix them! Yet, they don't even ask us!" :lol:

Great topic!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm

I can only share my experience with this
the fact that I am an Alcoholic who had a drug addiction aswell
for me the few times I did go to N.A. I introduced myself as an addict
in A.A. meetings I am simply an Alcoholic
drugs are a partof my story and its ok for me to share that
(its MY story )
but its also my responsibiliy to keep my sharing focused on the primary purpose of sharing the message of recovery from Alcoholism

I can relate to both but not all I can only relate with the drugs that I used alot however my main problem was definenatly ALCOHOL

I also can separate the two but some people cant some dual addictions go to both N.A &A.A.

I understand about singleness of purpose like I said my main problem was being an alcoholic so thats why I stayed in A.A. I just knew it was the only thing for ME

some think they need both I wish that people would just say in A.A. they are alcoholic and save the addict for N.A. I guess thats where tolerence comes in for me I cant control what they call themselves nor is it my job to do so
It is my responsibility to reach out and carry the message of A.A. when a suffering person is asking for help (and if I cant help try to lead them to someone or place that can help)

if the subject in a meeting gets to far from the program of recovery of the 12 steps of A.A. then its up to the chairperson or another group member to kindly and gently revert the conversation back to the program
of A.A. ( singleness of purpose) and keep the meeting on track!

thats my unerstanding of it!!!!

LUV-2-All Cessie :)
ccs

Postby ROBERT » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:07 pm

THIS IS GREAT A MENTAL WORK OUT--THIS TOPIC HAS ME THINKING ABOUT WHAT I'M THINKING,AND WHERE DOES MY PERCEPTION COME FROM-OR WHO DOES IT COME FROM? ANY HOW, A QUESTION SEEMS TO KEEP COMING TO ME SO I AM GONNA SHARE IT W/THE UNIVERSE--"IS ALCOHOLISM ABOUT ALCOHOL"-- IS IT POSSIBLE THE PHYSICAL & MENTAL ASPECTS ARE SIMILARE IF NOT THE SAME, REGARDLESS OF THE MANNER IN WHICH IT IS INITIATED-THE ANSWERE/SOLUTION IS THE SAME-"A SPIRITUAL AWAKENING AS THE RESULT OF THESE STEPS. AS I LOOK BACK --FOR ME IT WAS NOT AT ALL ABOUT WHAT I WAS USEING TO COPE W/MY SPIRITUAL VOID, I MEAN I WENT THRU-ALCOHOL,DRUGS,SEX,MONEY,WORK, A LAUNDRY LIST OF THINGS--AND @ ONE TIME OR ANOTHER THE NON-CHEMICAL ONES WERE JUST AS PHYSICALLY-MENTALLY,MALAJUSTED IN ME AS THE CHEMICAL ONES WERE-I COULD NOT STOP THINKING ABOUT A RELATIONSHIP AND COULD NOT HAVE ANY SENSE OF EASE & COMFORT UNTIL HAD WHAT I WANTED-SO ON AND SO FORTH--ALOT OF STUFF CAUSES ME PROBLEMS-ALCOHOL IS ONE, SO BY DEFAULT I SAY I AM A REAL ALCOHOLIC-DO OTHER THINGS DO THE SAME --IF I,M AM TO BE HONEST AT THIS TIME I HAVE TO SAY YES. SO TO ME IT'S NOT WHAT IS YOUR FLAVOR TO BE THAT IS IMPORTANT, AS LONG AS THE SURRENDER AND ACCEPTENCE THAT ONE IS SPIRITUALLY SICK IS RECONIZED-AND THERE IS A SOLUTION, A COMMON SOLUTION-- A SPIRITUAL AWAKENING.......GREAT STUFF.......
ROBERT

Postby sunlight » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Saw a flyer for a meeting called "Everything Anonymous". :shock:

Really! It was for people who considered themselves powerless over, and a slave to, everything.

I'm sure this would get me so confused that I'd have to jump off a bridge just to clear my head!

I need to keep it simple so recovery can be a reality for me.
sunlight

Postby GeoffS » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:27 am

GeoffS wrote:The only reference to drugs I've come across (so far) is Bill using LSD.

Ooops I meant 'non-prescription' or recreational.
GeoffS

Postby Jools » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:45 pm

My goodness, y'all have been busy while I've been away! :wink:

I about feel on the floor laffin' at this..........

For me, common sense would tell me that it's not a good idea to see a butt doctor to get my teeth fixed, nor to see a dentist to fix a butt problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol: too funny!

I want AA to be AA. I used drugs too back in the day. When I came to AA I was drinking 3 gallons of vodka a week so that tells me "I" have a problem with alcohol and went to AA to get help. I didn't go to NA, OA or GA because I didn't have a problem with any of the above when I came back to AA.

I'm afraid for alcoholics anonymous because it has lost it's singleness of purpose, to help the still suffering alcoholic.

Too, I'm of the mind, if it aint broke, don't fix it! AA has worked for 73 years without me trying to interject what I "think" AA should be. Can you imagine how screwed up AA would be if they did what I thought? :roll:

Love reading y'alls imput!

Julie
Jools

Postby ROBERT » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 pm

WERE NOT A GLUM LOT NOR WOULD WE NORMALLY MIX!!!---I AM SOOOO GRATEFULL FOR THE 12 STEP PROGRAM OF ACTION THAT GAVE ME/US A SPIRITUAL REMEDY FOR THIS FATAL MALADY---CALLED ALCOHOLISM............THANKS JULIE..........GREAT TOPIC
ROBERT

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:11 am

I was hesitant to reply to this post, adding nothing useful to the discussion, so I flipped a coin and it came down heads.

I'm an alcoholic, but I try to be tolerant of those who identify themselves in an AA meeting as addicts and/or alcoholic and addict.

My problem is that I have trouble relating to those whose story makes a beeline to drug addiction. It's out of my league. But the minute it returns to alcoholism I can relate.

Having said that, there is much common ground among those who use the 12 Steps to recover from alcoholism or addiction.

The 12 Steps have been wildly successful in treating alcoholism and out of that success have grown other 12-Step programs to treat problems other than alcoholism.

My personal opinion based on my limited knowledge and experience of recovery from alcoholism and a dozen years in AA, is that it is best to focus our attention on alcoholism, which is what AA is all about.

Talking in a meeting about problems with drug addiction can be diverting at best and divisive at worst. Thankfully there are other 12-step programs available for other problems.

What I've said should be taken at least a grain of salt or maybe a whole saltshakerful. I'm not a drug addict, so my understanding of this problem is woefully limited.

Make of this what you will.
Tim

Postby ROBERT » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 am

THANKS TIM---YA KNOW, I WILL GET IN MY HEAD ABOUT STUFF FROM TIME TO TIME-PART OF THE DEAL,WHATS COOL IS THE RECONIZING I'M DOING IT-THE EGO IS (MINE) A TOUGH HOMBRE-I MY SELF USED DRUGS ALOT-@ ONE TIME,NO DRINKING-JUST DOPE--BUT @ THE BEGINNING OF ALL THIS WAS THE ALCOHOLISM,WITH THE ALCOHOL,I COULD NOT STOP THINKING ABOUT IT,NOR WAS I ABLE TO NOT PICK UP THE FIRST ONE"NO MATTER HOW GREAT THE NECESSITY OR THE WISH"###.34 B.#### I CAN RELATE TO THE ADDICT AS WELL BECAUSE OF MY INTENSIVE RESEARCH IN THE FIELD!!!!!SO WHEN SOME ONE REFERS TO THEM SELF AS "ADDICT-ALCOHLIC" IF I REALLY LISTEN,WHEN I REALLY LISTEN-I CAN RELATE TO THE STORY,I HEAR THE PAIN-THAT HELPS ME AND I WOULD THINK OTHERS ARE HELPED AS WELL,I REALLY DON'T KNOW-SO I HAVE DEVELOPED A LOT OF COMPASSION OVER AND THRU ALL THIS,WHICH IS MY STORY,AND THERE ARE TIMES WHEN I MENTION TO ANOTHER,AFTER THE MEETING,MY EXPERIENCE W/OTHER 12 STEP GROUPS-AND I CAN SEE ME @ TIMES IN THESE OTHER PEOPLE AND I REMEMBER WHAT WAS HELPFULL FOR ME,AND TRY TO BE THAT WAY W/###"WE #### THAT WE HAD TO FULLY CONCEDE TO OUR INNERMOST SELVES THAT WE WERE ALCOHOLICS. THIS IS THE FIRST STEP IN RECOVERY"pg.30 B.B.
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Julie wrote:When I came to AA I was drinking 3 gallons of vodka a week so that tells me "I" have a problem with alcohol

Hey!!! An Alkie of my own type!!! I relate to part of it! The drinking part... except for me... downing quarts of vodka was not a problem... it went down easy and sometimes came back up just as easy!!! :lol: :lol:

Alcohol was my solution, though -- it wasn't my problem.... Sobreity was my problem... I just couldn't seem to get sober and stay sober! That's because with alcohol I could solve my problems -- and I didn't know how to solve them sober! Thanks to AA -- that's all been turned around for me.

When I first got sober, I began to hear of the other 12 Step organizations... and listening to their titles... I figured I probably belonged and should go to MOST ALL of them!

I had been a chemical waste dump also -- so when I tried an NA meeting... (and I relate to EGO)... I ended up picking out the original founding meeting in Sun Valley, California... When it came time to introduce myself... they slammed me with questions "Did you fix dope? Did you put needles in your arm? Were you slamming smack?" ... and, my reply was... "Well, no... but I did all the other stuff!" They said "Then you need to get your ass out of here... NA is for slammers... it's for dope fiends. You're not welcome here if you didn't slam heroin!"

I can imagine how the founders of NA must be turning over in their graves moaning about all the meth-heads, pot-heads, pill freaks, and others that have inflitrated NA -- and changed it from what it was originally designed to be!

An old AA friend of mine (he had 44 years sobriety when I got sober in 1986) and mentor... a guy named Jack Prose (he's dead now) sponsored the AA member that started NA. Jack was very involved and responsible for starting most of the H&I (Hospitals & Institutions work) and Corrections work (jails and prisons) with AA in Southern California. His sponsee -- Jimmy K., had a heroin problem... and Jimmy needed to identify with other dopers... So, he got an idea to start meetings for druggies (heroin addicts)... that were also in AA. Jack P. was very religious about AA's 12 Traditions -- and he told Jimmy that he needed to start an organization for addicts... and he helped Jimmy get started with starting up NA.

Jim W. (Jim Willis... also now dead) was an AA, that didn't really identify as an alcoholic. He was a gambler. He went to my sponsor's one-time sponsor Chuck C. (Chuck Chamberlain, also now deceased but not forgotten)... and asked Chuck if he would sponsor him with his gambling problem. Jim was married to (at one time) the first and longest sober female member of AA in Southern California -- a lady named Sybil, that was the first manager of AA Central Office in Los Angeles.

Sybil, when she got calls in AA's Central Office, by gamblers, looking for help -- would hook them up with her husband Jim... a non-alcoholic, that was trying to go to AA meetings and find AA's with gambling problems, to help him stay away from gambling.

Chuck C., told Jim that he wished he could help him -- but, he wasn't alcoholic -- and couldn't help because he was alcoholic and not a gambler.

Jim, after several attempts that failed, finally got GA started. The original GA Big Book, was much the same as AA's BB, and Preamble... and that was the original GA program. Then, later, after Jim W. died, the GA ISO (International Service Office, in Los Angeles)... that wanted to change the GA program... hired an outside-enterprise to write a new BB for them... that eliminated most all of the AA stuff in their BB, and focused on "Group Therapy." They wanted to steer clear of any "God stuff" and spiritual awakenings as a solution to their problem. So, it became a secular Anonymous organization, with modified 12 Steps and 12 Traditions (not calling them 12 Traditions).

My sponsor, eventually sponsored Jim W., and helped him in his attempts to start GA and stay away from betting. Jim W., went to Las Vegas and relapsed ... not getting drunk... but returning to gambling... to make one more "Big Hit" at the tables to solve his money problems... and make it big before he would quit gambling again... Depressed over his relapse, he chose suicide.

Then, came along some fat ladies in Los Angeles... that werent alcoholic... but they suspected that AA's program of recovery could help them to stop over eating! Chuck C. and my sponsor would talk to them often, and helped them to get OA started.

I believe the best way that we can be helpful to others, that have problems... and want to use the AA program, but are not alcoholic, or are alcoholic-hyphen-anything... is to help them and encourage them and support them in their efforts to start their own organizations and fellowships that can help them solve their problems... We can share how AA's program of recovery, and our understanding of AA's program of recovery has helped us... and even though we can't identify with them and they can't identify with us... we can share with them, if they request.

If we feel that we are unqualified to help them get their own organization started... we can refer them to other Anonymous organizations that can better help them. I carry GA, OA, Al-Anon, and NA info and phone numbers with me to pass on to those that may benifit from them -- if they want it.

Also, we have Open AA Speaker Meetings. Anyone from the public can attend these meetings and if they think our program of AA can help them, they can listen to the speakers and attempt to translate the experiences in their own searching for a solution. And, even though anyone from the public can attend the Open Speaker Meetings... only alcoholics should participate in the meetings... thereby honoring our 12 Traditions.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery