- Drug Addicts in AA

Drug Addicts in AA

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:44 am

Congratulations Gunner!

I understand. :wink:

Now, that's really something to reflect on!

I wish you the best!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks to everyone for our enlighten discussion....had me looking at Tradition 1........Thank You :D
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Yup this thread is done for me now. :)

Final message was loud and clear for me. 24 hours at a time :) and it's up to me to choose to start those 24 as soon as the eyes open in the morning and I roll over and kiss the floor and thank my HP I'm sober ding :idea:

Then I wrastle those little squirrels into their cages before they get their mangy little paws on the wheel.

It' all good!
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 am

A Practical Solution that Works

Often, some AA's get upset with other AA's like me, because of our understanding of How and Why AA works.

They sometimes think I'm being mean spirited, hard-nosed and rigid. And, sometimes, they're right!

But, most of the times, I'm not being mean spirited. Rigid and hard nosed? Probably.

When they hear me suggest "well, why don't you just start your own 12 Step program and leave AA alone"... they take it as sarcasm -- when it isn't.

In 1989, in Van Nuys, California, I started attended a meeting, that simply referred to itself as "An Anonymous 12 Step Meeting"... they were all regular members of AA, NA, CA, and other Fellowships. A few things they shared in common was:

a. They were all using the 12 Steps.
b. They were not all alcoholics or addicts or both.
c. They were mostly musicians, entertainers, actors and actresses, artists, or they worked in the film, movie, TV, radio, or sound industry.

They called themselves "The Musician's Meeting" because it was musicians in recovery that started the meeting.

Their Fellowship became highly popular because it was uplifting, not rigid, they shared a common problem as being creative people that were afflicted and in recovery, and were involved in creative industry.

The meeting was first being held in an auto body shop during after hours when the business was closed. It rapidly became one of the most unique and most popular meetings in Southern California.

They understood how important the 12 Traditions were to their "other Fellowships" that they belonged to. And, with a desire to not trample on the 12 Traditions of the other Anonymous groups and programs, they wrote their own Preamble, that went something like this:

"We are people in recovery, most of us belong to other Anonymous Organizations, here, we do not identify with the other Anonymous Organizations, neither endorsing nor opposing them, or anyone"

For the most part, people just introduced themselves by their first name. Some would say, alcoholic, some addict, some alcoholic-addict, and some as "Heinz 57!"

That group is still going and growing stronger than ever.

They have a lot of picnics and concerts and they raise a lot of money, that gets donated to various recovery houses, or other organizations that are trying to help people in recovery.

They have one of the largest Recovery Related events going on... with thousands of people from AA, NA, CA, and other Fellowships that show up from around the world, to participate in the "Musician's Picnic". It's common to see favorite celebrities and entertainers and famous musicians there -- having a wonderful party and picnic and concert, to raise money and to celebrate clean and sober living. (If you've never attended one of these picnics or events, I highly suggest it... they're awesome).

This is just one example, of people in recovery that wanted to Fellowship with other people in various Fellowships... and ended up as a Fellowship of their own.

This is not mean spirited. It's very productive and fun. It goes against nobody's Traditions, and it's more like a big love fest! It's fun. Inspiring. Encouraging.

So, the next time someone thinks "Dallas is just hard-nosed, rigid and mean spirited" to suggest "why don't you go start your own 12 Step Fellowship" ... I'm wishing you the same success that the Musician's Group has experienced!

We could use more of these type Fellowships. They are good, fun, entertaining, supportive, they serve a Higher Purpose, and they help others... without trampling on Traditions.

Do you really think I'm being mean-spirited, to hope, and be willing to help you, to start your own Fellowship that is simply an Anonymous Organization of people in recovery? That's up to you! But, I'm wishing you success -- with my suggestion. They don’t argue. They don’t try to recruit. They don’t try to convince anyone of anything. You’re welcome to attend if you desire to attend – they just don’t want you promoting or endorsing or identifying with “other 12 Step Anonymous Programsâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 am

Hey Dallas, I've not seen any where in these posts where any one says what you are presenting-never a, "Dallas your a mean sorta guy"--did I miss one? Some may compete with you about stuff, hell I do, (working on that)-but never seen an out right attack. :!:
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:24 am

Really??? :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am

NO-Really, I 've never seen one :shock:
ROBERT

Postby DebbieV » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DebbieV

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey thanks for that. Now I know what the 99 stands for. When I try to get out there to visit a buddy I made amends to a few weeks back I'll try and find that meeting and introduce myself as Randy - Heinz 99 :idea:
Ranman99

Postby loosh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:13 am

Hi my name is --------- i'm an ALCOHOLIC, AA is for Alcoholics who share their experience...strength and hope with each other...that they may solve their COMMON problem.....I.E. alcoholism.....i have no problem with drugs, eating [ over or under ]...gambling, debt, financial insecurity,securities, sex addiction,celibacy, meat eating,vegetarianism, etc.etc.etc. ad infinitum...time was maybe i did ?or did not? if i did...i shared them in a one to one with my sponsor....OR doctor or psychiatrist or drug group or butcher or baker etc. etc....NOT in A.A. taking up precious time and causing division at A.A. meetings...O.K. some newcomers do rattle on... [I DID too] ....BUT then we knew no better....Older A.A,'s SHOULD know...but choose to ignore the traditions , they usually use the cliche' " but IT'S PART OF MY STORY !!"....so it is...so is going to the toilet.. or the zoo..or whatever ??...IT is not our COMMON interest ...Sadly the worst offenders are big book 'thumpers ' ..
loosh

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery