- Drug Addicts in AA

Drug Addicts in AA

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Dallas wrote:Aren't you happy that we don't often have to listen to someone share their endless stories of experience, strength and hope... with their toilet addictions -- and whether they used their right or left hand, or both, to wipe or not wipe... while they were pouring their last drink! :lol: :lol:

"I am responsible. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there. And for that: I am responsible."

Since AA literature nowhere that I know of addresses toilet etiquette, most of us have learned in sobriety, if not before, to overcome our lack of proper personal hygiene--along with spiritual, emotional and mental hygiene--and make sure that if the hand that reaches out is ours, it will be a clean one.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been thinking with some concern about this original topic of "Addicts in AA"... for the last few days.

I do hope that if an addict stumbles through here -- that they don't get the idea that they are not welcome in A.A.

I guess the reason I've been thinking about it with concern is: When I was new to A.A. I didn't know what the heck I was! And, I actually believed that if I was anything... I was probably "more addict" than I was alcoholic! :lol:

I wonder if this is because "alcoholism is a condition that tells the alcoholic that he doesn't have it"... or, if I was just so much in the fog about everything and didn't know what an alcoholic was!

I was a kid of the 60's. I grew up as a kid roaming the streets of L.A. and Hollywood... Hippie times... lots of drugs... and it was cool (by peer group standards) to do all the drugs that we could. And, many of my Rock Star Heros were addicts... so it was something to aspire to be! :lol: :lol:

Of course... among my types of Heros... their were many alcoholics... and it was something that a troubled kid like me... had a desire to aspire to also. It was about getting attention. Having some sort of social status. Standing out from the crowd... Being unique, different and cool... As long as I wasn't the kind of alcoholic that was just a regular street drunk, or park bench sitter... being dirty, smelly, and having a brown paper bag over my can or bottle.

I loved anything that made me feel different. And, used anything that would make me feel different, or feel better than I felt... because without anything... I felt like crap! And, worthless crap at that! :lol:

When I decided that it was in my best interest to "accept and admit that I was alcoholic" (because I was, by then, convinced I was alcoholic)... I had already failed my first attempt at AA. And, I was willing to admit and accept ANYTHING... as long as it would help me at least "possibly" achieve sobriety... and to maintain it.

I knew other alcoholics in AA that had problems with drugs also, like I did. And, they decided to be alcoholics in AA... and use AA to treat all of their addiction problems... and be "totally abstinent from alcohol and all drugs". They didn't deny their previous drug problems... they just didn't talk about it in AA meetings. Fortunately, for me, they would talk about it with me in coffee shop meetings after the AA meetings... and they were able to help me.

Now, I don't think much about it in regards to myself... I know that I'm alcoholic and I'm probably addicted to anything that will change the way I feel... so I don't drink alcohol and I don't use drugs. I just keep it simple, I guess.

So, I guess that's why I've been thinking about this topic for the last few days. I would hate for an alcoholic of my type to come along and end up being confused or feeling unwelcome... to the same program and same Fellowship that saved my ass!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks for that Dallas. It is a real conunrum some times these days. I have a sponsee who went out on Friday but it may be with ICE and ah Ladies that work in a certain part of town. I'm hoping to see him in soon before he looses his job tomorrow but the weird thought I had is he may not drink. He is an Alkie but like most of us and as we said here other additcions also. So I have been pondering what will be the score if he comes back in and has not drank but only used drugs. Does he start step one in both NA and AA. Not sure yet but will be in conference with a few old timers in the coming days.

I can identify with every thing you wrote.

I'll pray my guy does not die and it'll be back to step one.

Cheers,
Ranman99

is it worth your worry?

Postby kyleklatt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:41 am

hi i was scanning through these forums and this one caught my attention.
im an addict not an alcoholic, i cant stand alcohol. but i find that aa is much better for me than ca na or any others, i gain more from the things people have to say, and in my eyes it goes for the same purpose.
i just have to wonder is all these worrying about addicts in your aa meetings worth the stress?
i mean if i were to tell my story without imputing that im an addict you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway so whats the harm?
it just seems that a lot of people are focusing there attention on things of little importance.
kyleklatt

Re: is it worth your worry?

Postby Jim W » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:53 am

kyleklatt wrote:hi i was scanning through these forums and this one caught my attention.
im an addict not an alcoholic, i cant stand alcohol. but i find that aa is much better for me than ca na or any others, i gain more from the things people have to say, and in my eyes it goes for the same purpose.
i just have to wonder is all these worrying about addicts in your aa meetings worth the stress?
i mean if i were to tell my story without imputing that im an addict you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway so whats the harm?
it just seems that a lot of people are focusing there attention on things of little importance.

I understand your concern. But consider this: Could it be that you are coming from a very selfish point of view and that maybe you could be of service to the addicts in your area by starting a strong NA or CA group in your town and bringing your recovery to those might benefit from it most? Perhaps your are just thinking of yourself here.

<it just seems that a lot of people are focusing there attention on things of little importance>

Maybe not important to you. But it isn't about you and it isn't even about what is important to me. It is about what is important to Alcoholics Anonymous as a whole and it is vital the alcoholic that still suffers that stumbles into an A.A. meeting that he be able to identify with alcoholism. You might do well to become a little more informed on the 12 Traditions.
Namaste,
Jim
Jim W

Postby kyleklatt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 am

hmmm i see what your saying there, thats a very good point.
i guess it was how i was taught to stay sober, the most important thing in my life is for me to not use right now, if aa helps me with that then im gonna be there =P. well regardless, ive been to the meeting were teh old farts dont like addicts in there groups, and after they made there speech that took half the groups time and helped nobody, i proudly rose my hand and stated that i was an addict, not an alcoholic, and asked if we could get on with the meeting, id be damned if you see me walk out of a meeting because of someone like that. in the end im there for my recovery
kyleklatt

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 pm

I have a very good AA friend, that has been sober many years and is a good example of AA.

Years ago, his son became addicted to drugs. Trying to be a good dad, he guided his son to go to AA instead of NA.

His son appeared to be making good progress -- and, then, one day, the son was discovered dead from a heroin over dose. Evidently, the son had stopped drinking, but had started chipping at heroin again.

Today, the father's greatest regret, as he shares it, was his lack of encouragement, to get his son directed to the Fellowship that could help him.

Sometimes, we may be tempted to judge one Fellowship or Organization over another. That's probably a natural human thing to do. However, if we step back and look at it from a different angle -- we will often see something that we didn't see before.

When I hear of one type of person say that they go to a particular fellowship, not becuase they "identify"... but because they get better help -- I want to ask them, "Then why are you not going to the other Fellowship trying to help them?" Perhaps, you can be the missing link, that could make a huge difference in the quality of how the other Fellowship is able to help those that it's trying to help.

I understand, doing anything and everything we can do -- that will help us. Even if it's joining a group that meditates while standing on their head, or reading comic books! If it helps, by all means do it!

However, what little I know about my own recovery and sobriety is: I get back what I'm giving -- I don't get back what I'm getting..

When I go to get -- I only get more of what I've got -- that I wish that I didn't have. But, when I go to give the best of me, for someone else, then I get back the best of me, to make it another day. And, by giving it away -- rather than taking it -- my life gets better.

Glad you're all here! Keep coming back! I need what you're giving, so that it teaches me what I can give.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jim W » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 pm

kyleklatt wrote:hmmm i see what your saying there, thats a very good point.
i guess it was how i was taught to stay sober, the most important thing in my life is for me to not use right now, if aa helps me with that then im gonna be there =P. well regardless, ive been to the meeting were teh old farts dont like addicts in there groups, and after they made there speech that took half the groups time and helped nobody, i proudly rose my hand and stated that i was an addict, not an alcoholic, and asked if we could get on with the meeting, id be damned if you see me walk out of a meeting because of someone like that. in the end im there for my recovery

It's called respect the house you are in.

If you are not alcoholic, you can attend open meetings. It depends on the group's conscience whether or not you can participate. But if you are not alcoholic, you don't qualify for membership.

< ive been to the meeting were teh old farts dont like addicts in there groups, and after they made there speech that took half the groups time and helped nobody, i proudly rose my hand and stated that i was an addict, not an alcoholic, and asked if we could get on with the meeting, id be damned if you see me walk out of a meeting because of someone like that >

You might want to consider why the "old farts" react they way they do. Maybe they are tired of seeing addicts come in with a "f**k you attitude and trample all over our Traditions and disrespect the fellowship that they owe THEIR lives to.

<in the end im there for my recovery>

That's the problem, you only care about why you are there. Consider why the "old farts" are there Maybe they are there because they are alcoholics. And consider too that maybe they might want the alcoholic who walks in looking for an answer to have the same chance they had. And too, like has already been pointed out, why aren't you out helping addicts to recover and helping N.A. to get strong?
Jim W

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 pm

The only thing that quallifies me for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Whether I'm an Alkie or not actually is a self diagnosis and don't enter into it. Of course if I'm not an alkie I probably won't identify with a lot of experience but it is still a conclusion I must decide on my own.

As long as I don't want to drink I could be a lot of other things but I'm also in the right place for that purpose.

Just my 3 cents. 8)

On another note I have been addicted to every single thing that I have ever touched. I am self will run riot :lol:

Today I try to live by the principals and I am sober to boot. :idea:
Ranman99

The membership requirement

Postby Jim W » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 pm

<The only thing that quallifies me for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Whether I'm an Alkie or not actually is a self diagnosis and don't enter into it. Of course if I'm not an alkie I probably won't identify with a lot of experience but it is still a conclusion I must decide on my own>

Of course it is a self-diagnosis. It seems though to diagnose one's self, one would have to be able to identify not only with the experiences of other alcoholics in A.A. meetings, but also with Dr. Silkworth's description, primarily the phenomenon of craving. The phenomenon of craving is the one defining factor of alcoholism, the thing that sets the alcoholic apart as a distinct entity.Which leads to:

"The only thing that quallifies me for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

That should really say that the only requirement for an alcoholic to belong to Alcoholics Anonymous is a desire to stop drinking.

The often abused short form. Which doesn't really define the membership. Let's take a look at the long form. "Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism..." Of course, as you say, only the individual can determine that. I do believe that due to the confusion brought about by terms like "a drug is a drug" and other misleading platitudes, that some of us need some help in determining that truth for ourselves. That is our responsibility and that is where good sponsorship comes in.
Jim W

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery