- Drug Addicts in AA

Drug Addicts in AA

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby ccs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks Dallas that was very intresting to read I think its really pretty cool how you know all this stuff and were linked to these people its kinda like the dna line in 12 step programs thank you for sharing that with us

:wink: :wink: :wink:
ccs

Postby Red A. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Old storied topic. It's been debated since long before I was born and will still be debated long after i'm gone.

As for the introductions, I'm hard pressed to find anywhere in AA literature any instructions on how to introduce myself.

As for abstractly declaring drugs an outside issue we would be giving the go ahead to those in the program on the marajuana maintenence program.

On the other hand we do have a primary purpose and I have seen meetings become "watered down" with other "addictions" in attendence.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Red A.

Postby ccs » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:10 am

this is from Bill W.

28Q - How many drug addicts are there in A.A. and in the organization similar to A.A. which operates among drug addicts?

28A - We have quite a number of drug addicts who were once alcoholics. So far, I don't know of any case of pure drug addiction that we have been able to approach.
In other words, we can no more approach a simon-pure addict than the outsider can usually approach us. We are in exactly the same position with them that the doctor and the clergyman have been in respect to the alcoholic.
We just don't talk that fellow's language. He always looks at us and says, "Well, those alcoholics are the scum of the earth and besides, what do they know about addiction?"

Now, however, since we have a good number of addicts who were once alcoholics, those addicts in their turn are making an effort, here and there, to transfer the thing over to the straight addict. In that way we hope the bridge is going to be crossed. There may be a case here and there that has been helped.
But in all, I suppose, there may be about 50 cases of real morphine addiction in former alcoholics who have been helped by A.A. Of course we have a great many barbital users, but we don't consider those people particularly difficult if they really want to do something about it; and particularly if it's associated with liquor.
They seem to get out of it after a while. But where you have morphine, or some of those other derivatives, then it gets very tough. Then you have to have a "dope" talk to a "dope," and I hope that we can some day find a bridge to the addict.
(Yale Summer School of Alcohol Studies, June 1945)
ccs

Postby ROBERT » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:58 am

Where do u get the info ccs------really neat stuff,thanks....ROBERT
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:14 am

ccs wrote:(Yale Summer School of Alcohol Studies, June 1945)

Thank you Cessie!

Please share more of what you find and we will be with you -- as "We" trudge this road of Happy Destiny!!! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 am

Thanx for the info, Cess! It's so good to have you here. :)
Jools

crossadicted?

Postby drewi2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 am

I used to think that I was crossaddicted later I found out that drugs in my adolecense years was only a crossover or a holding point untill i was old enough to get the good stuff lol
quite frankly if it was legal to buy alcohol at the age of two my happy ass woulda been on my tricycle riding to the store
drewi2009

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 am

When I first came to AA, I heard there were a couple of hundred Anonymous 12 Step Programs that were spawned by people using AA's format for their problems... I checked out a few of them, thinking... "Dang! I got so many problems I'll probably qualify for all of them!" :lol:

A lot of them could have come under the same umbrella of "Victims Anonymous!"...

There was one, that an AA guy that I knew was trying to start... He said it was called "A HA!" for Adult Husbands of Al-Anons! He was a good AA and she a good Al-Anon, and they had Ala-Teens in their family and they would go to conventions and speak as a family group. They had great stories... the guy had been sober about 12 years, very active in AA, and for some reason he got curious about meth... went out and tried some and lost it all. Family, business, home, sobriety, and then his life. Very sad story. Reminded me -- that I'm never home free -- in regards to my malady called MORE!

I wanted to try out one of those Sex Anonymous meetings... thought that might be kind of cool... (of course, that wasn't something that I ever got TOO much of... However.. I could have got arrested for Driving Under the Seat!) :lol:

I knew some Alkie Bro's that went to check out S/A. They thought they'd find a bunch of hot chicks in there that would want to 13th Step them as newcomers... -- and they said it turned out to be a bunch of ugly dudes in there telling what they said were gross perv stories! :lol: :lol: That cured me, right there, when I heard that.

Hey, what was the topic here? I forgot! :lol:

Dallas!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby gunner48 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Sorry for coming in so late on this but I just found this site.
On the subject I do not intend to know the answer for all but I was taught this ie: The only common tread we have is Alcoholism. Each time someone introduces themself at a meeting as a an ugh (you fill in the grap) it makes me feel different than them, its almost like someone driving a wedge between us. I never used illegal drugs of any kind and do not understand anything about it. Yes I listen to them without commit ,because my group doesn't enforce singleness of purpose (I wish they would) but I truly do not understand the mental twist
Is it the same? Again I don't know. I was told this and it made sence to me
If you put 100 people in a room and gave them all the booze they wanted (they have to have at least 4 drinks a day) after 30 days you could figure 20-30 percent would show signs of Alcoholism. Put the same 100 people in a room for 30 days and make them use cocaine 4 times a day and at the end 100 percent would show signs of being addicted to it. Again let me say I do not know this as fact just something I heard once. Again if this is true then I would have to believe there is a difference in us.
Only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. We assume those coming to AA want to Stop. I fill sorry for the true addit who comes to AA and says they are alcoholic so they can sit in with us. Honesty of who and what I am was required of me in step one. If I am lying every time I introduce myself how can I ever get honest enough to recover.
Only my thoughts. Peace and love to all
gunner48

Postby ROBERT » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:48 pm

HEY GUYS-GALS- they got a paranoid anonymous meeting..........somewhere.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBERT

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery