- Drug Addicts in AA

Drug Addicts in AA

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 am

HEY GUYS-GALS- they got a paranoid anonymous meeting..........somewhere....

Be careful!!! I've heard that it will sneak up on you and take you captive!!!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ROBERT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBERT

Postby SomeCallMeTim » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 pm

I believe addiction is addiction. When i went to treatment i was referred to as a garbage head. I did whatever was available to get the job done. Booze, weed, acid, speed, hash, opium etc. I had no drug of choice. I would drink and use drugs at the same time. Where should i go? I'm more comfortable in AA than NA. Don't know why. I announce myself as an addict/alcoholic to remind myself that i can't use alcohol OR drugs with success. The second i stop doing this the addict in me will start talking to me. As far as "relating" to someones story, i can't relate to the old guy (i'm 43) who has liver damage, the shakes, dt's, etc. because i never got there. Does that really make me different? No. It's my opinion that some people in AA view drug users as beneath them, bigotry at it's finest. They hide behind the traditions and concepts because drug users make them uncomfortable. Something i've learned is if something makes me uncomfortable, maybe i should work on whatever "it" is. Principles before personalities, acceptance, compassion, etc.
SomeCallMeTim

Postby GeoffS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm with clancy on this one.

Hearing other addicts talk about their substance of choice is great, it is all useful and interesting information. I cannot and do not identify. My solution was not narcotics, it was not gambling, it was not overeating. There are similarities sure, but for me to identify I need to hear another alcoholic. Thats why I am in Alcoholic's Anonymous and not any of the other anonymice (eek).

For example, I can hear how people feel so apart, different, and loath themselves in every facet of existance (right with you there) but when they solve that feeling by eating 47 litres of ice cream, throwing up and doing it again, I just don't get it. Equally neither do they get why I would choose to drink 47 litres of vodka and pass out, vomit and do it again. Never the twain shall meet.

I don't believe any form of addiction is 'purer' or should look down on any other we are all just sick people trying to get better. However our symptoms are markedly different and require subtley (but definitely) different 'medicines' if you will to recover

If you had a group of different people with different cancers would you just give them all the same treatment and say what the hell, well its all cancer isn't it?
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Dallas likes what GeoffS wrote:If you had a group of different people with different cancers would you just give them all the same treatment and say what the hell, well its all cancer isn't it?

:shock: That's good! :shock:

If I had throat cancer I don't think I would like the same treatment as someone with butt cancer... :lol:

Fortunately... I don't have either one... yet! :lol:

AA stands for "alcoholics anonymous"... not "anything anonymous".

AA is not about treating addictions... it's about a solution for alcoholism.

The only time the word addiction is used in the Big Book, is where Bill writes about Dr. Silkworth, in describing him, in the Dr.'s Opinion. "A well-known doctor, chief physician at a nationally prominent hospital
specializing in alcoholic and drug addiction, gave Alcoholics Anonymous this letter:"

They already have a place for people that believe addictions=addictions. It's called Treatment Centers. Those that prefer to mix it all up with addictions = addictions should attend the meetings of a Treatment Facility, where they do this, instead of going to AA.

I think this is clearly explained from the start of this topic up to this point.

And, there is a difference in alcoholism and drug addiction. To refer to them as the same is like saying that coffee and coca cola and chocolate candy are the same... because they all have caffiene in them.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby SomeCallMeTim » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Well, until someone calls me out i will still attend AA and will still call myself what i am. An addict alcoholic.
SomeCallMeTim

Postby ROBERT » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Wow--ya know Spiritually I don't think there is any difference---sure A.A. is designed to treat alcoholism-but after the substance is out of the picture-whatever it is-food, gambling,etc.-were all left with a spiritual malady-hell there are people that don;t use any mood altering stuff at all and have a spiritual malady!--so if a fellow traveller comes to an AA meeting and is a heroin addict, I can;t relate to the actual drug- but I can sure as hell understand-relate,as to-WHY-he uses!-for me it's the similarities I look for today.It is a bit like where the literature says -Warring fragments of society- we are right and you are wrong-why care? If a ship was sinking and I was on it -would it make any sense to argue with someone about why it's sinking--not hardly, lets just find a way to save our lives, really doesnt matter if a iceburg or a blown engine is at fault, does it!-- :cry: we're dying, :cry: lets help each other :D live! :D--as far as AA being a solution for alcoholism--I don't see that- I see it as a solution for living--and as a result of right living- I don't desire drink, I still have alcoholism, always will.WE AGNOSTICS--Lack of power-we had to find a power greater than, by which to "live", goes on-- That is what this book is about, to find the power to solve our problem--my problem is a living problem-as that manifests, I want to drink-THEN my alcoholism kicks in. A.A. has / is teaching me how to live, not how to, not drink.
Last edited by ROBERT on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:51 pm

Have you ever read about the Washingtonians?

Have you ever asked yourself why the founder of AA, was so concerned with this same topic?

When I first came to AA, I heard "well the 12 Steps are just suggestions"... and it was suggested for me to read the Big Book.

I also heard "just make up your own individual program -- take what you like and leave the rest."

Why would I want to read the Big Book -- if it's just a suggestion?

And, there was always some old-timer that was pissed because I'd be repeating "what I heard."

Well, I took action on what I heard -- in AA meetings -- and it nearly killed me. I got drunk and couldn't get sober again -- even with AA's help.

I decided that "Well, I failed AA, and AA failed me... it won't work for an alcoholic of my type."

After a miraculous Divine Intervention... I had one more opportunity to get sober and "try to stay sober."

So, I set about to see "why I failed" because I couldn't risk it again.

What I discovered, about AA, was that many of the AA members and groups and meetings... that I was attending... weren't doing AA at all -- even though they called themselves "AA."

The reason they wrote the book Alcoholics Anonymous, and published it in 1939, is the founders were afraid... yes, fear... that because "the AA way was being carried by word of mouth" it wouldn't last... people well intentioned would resort to what doesn't work instead of what works.

So, they wrote a book about "this is AA and this is how it works."

Since I've been reading that book and following the instructions in that book as "requirements" and not as "suggestions" I've been able to stay sober and have a pretty good life. I admit, it's only kept me sober for the last 8306 consecutive days in a row -- but, that's a hell of a lot better than I did the first time I came to AA!

The one thing that I did when I got my second chance, was to notice a requirement located at the bottom of page 58. That was a tough one! But, I did it -- and I've continued to do it ever since.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:54 pm

this topic like resentments and fear will never die !!! I like what Robert just said and everyone else too ,Tim I can relate to both
but the way I see it now is, I`m not here or there for the ""label"" I`m here because I not all there :D
and I`m sick and I have a moral spiritual mental physical (the list can go on&on&on ) malady

out of respect when I`m with addicts thats how I identify my self when I`m with alkies thats how I identify myself

I know I`m a DRUNK & a JUNKIE :lol:

there are other things that I do on a daily basis that remind me that I cant use alcohol or drugs and one of them is stop fighting anyone and everything

I know I`m a DRUNK & a JUNKIE :lol:
( if it helps someone else for me not to say that so be it!)

I think it all comes down to some are sicker than others and how can I be of help to someone ????? :wink:

thank you all for helping me stay sober &(clean) today

LUV-2-ALL

your Sister-in-Sobriety :wink:
ccs

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 am

My mistake: The below was posted a few topics below this one and I'll repost it here:

From “About AA- Newsletter for Professionalsâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery