- Gratitude Journal

Gratitude Journal

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Gratitude Journal

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:20 pm

The below idea is not intended to replace doing 10th Steps in writing with pen and paper!

Regardless if you’re an old-timer that’s practicing your steps daily… or a newcomer that has not yet taken the Steps… here is an idea that I have used to continue to “Take Constructive Actions – that – continues to Change My Thoughts – so that my life can continue to change for the better!

Many of us here in the forum, and in AA can attest to the butt-saving power of making a Gratitude List! It helps when other measures seem to fail! It gets our minds directed into the direction of Gratitude… something that’s good for all of us to experience… and keeps our minds off of the things that we don’t want… like depressing and morbid thinking.

The fastest way that I’ve discovered to restore my sense of Joy and Happiness… is a Gratitude List. A simple list of all the little simple insignificant – and the significant things that I am grateful for. And, it’s a great way to bring into force the Law of Attraction into your life – to attract more of what you want in your life – and less of what you don’t want!

Have you considered the powerful effects of keeping a Gratitude Journal?

Here is how it works: You get a blank notebook, or… a blank Diary book… and you write the title on the front that says “My Gratitude Journalâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm

I'm not big on the whole journal thing. I have on next to the bed under my reflection book, but have hardly wrote in it.

I WILL give this a try tho, thanx for the suggestion.

Hugs to you,
Julie
Jools

Postby sunlight » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:12 pm

One of my New Year's resolutions was to get back to journaling & I've been keeping it fairly well. ( If it comes down to a choice between getting enough sleep or writing, sleep usually wins. )

It's been a great way to lead into the 10th step every night & I laugh to sometimes see my own B S in black & white! :lol:

Gratitude's in there, & I do a mental list before I lay me down to sleep, but haven't make a purposeful, documented list as such. Sounds great!
This way, I won't miss those little things I may take for granted if I wasn't adding them to the list.

Gratitude has been a LIFESAVER when I'm in the belly of a whale, or the lion's den, or when I've spent 40 days & nights on an ark with all those blasted animals & it's really starting to stink!

The topic of our meeting last night was "spiritual experiences", & this list will make it even clearer that everything is a spiritual experience if I adjust those glasses ! 8)

Thanks for the :idea:
sunlight

Postby GeoffS » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 pm

sunlight wrote:Gratitude has been a LIFESAVER when I'm in the belly of a whale, or the lion's den,

sounds like you should stay away from the zoo!!!!
GeoffS

Postby sunlight » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Geoff wrote:

sounds like you should stay away from the zoo!!!!

How true that was at one time!!!

Last night, at the meeting after the meeting, a newcomer sitting next to me said he could make good animal sounds, and went on to demonstrate. (We are diversely talented!) Everyone joined in & the place sounded like a barnyard. He turned to me & asked if I could do any, & I said, "Well, I think I can do an ostrich." And I proceeded to tell this story:

When I was drinking, I went to the zoo with my teenage daughter & her friend. I was pickled, & thinking I was funny, was making noises at the animals - roaring at the lions, barking at the seals etc...
When we came to the ostrich, I made this "oodle oodle" sound. The ostrich craned his neck & looked directly at me, flapping his wings, fluffing his feathers & doing a little dance. Then...it had an orgasm!!!!

My daughter was mortified, as were the people around us.

I was two years sober before she would go to the zoo with me again.

I never knew what was going to happen when I drank!

An orgasmic ostrich! I'll never live it down! :oops:

There's one for the gratitude journal - today I behave like a human! :D
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Sunlight wrote:I never knew what was going to happen when I drank!

An orgasmic ostrich! I'll never live it down!

You know....

Someone could read a lot into that one!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Not any of us saintly alcoholics, of course!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
sunlight

Postby Jools » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:31 am

Dallas,

Thank you for this post because I would have never taken the time to do this if you hadn't posted about it.

The first couple of days I did as you suggested and just listed things I was grateful for. I'm still listing things but each time I list something I thank God for it and it's taken my gratitude to a whole new level.

Thank you God for Dallas and the time he puts into helping us stay sober. :)

Much love to you my friend,
Julie
Jools

Postby ROBERT » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:35 pm

I STARTED DOING A JOURNAL IN FEB.-- A COMBO OF 10TH STEP,W/GRATITUDE-A ALL INCLUSIVE JOURNAL REALLY, RECOVERY BASED--LET ME SAY THE RESULTS ARE SIGNIFICANT,AND TRACKABLE!!! IT WAS A SLOW START,MY BRAIN HAD TO ADJUST TO THE NEW BEHAVIOR AND ONCE I GOT OVER THE WALL-WELL NOW I WILL GET UP IF I'VE LAID DOWN AT NIGHT TO DO THIS WORK--IT PAYS ME BIG REWARDS----THANKS DALLAS FOR PASSING THIS ALONG....HAPPY JOYUS FREE,IS WHAT I AGREED TO GO TO ANY LENGHT FOR--IT'S WORK ALRIGHT--THE BEST PAYING WORK I'VE FOUND...............ROBERT
ROBERT

Postby Dallas » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks Robert!! :wink:

It's always encouraging to me to read of the many blessings and benefits of those that are using tools for progress!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery